Other matches 2nd & 3rd December; 5-6-7th as well.

Shows how much interest I've payed to Arsenal this season, I've just noticed Rice has kept 41 as his number. Not that I'm that bothered as he doesn't play for us any more, but it strikes me as a bit odd to retain such a high number when moving clubs.

Comments

• I think within reason you can choose your own number
  • I think within reason you can choose your own number

I get that, but most players seem to prefer a lower number. I understand why he stuck with 41 while he was here, although wouldn't have been surprised if he'd have angled for a lower number when he became more established, but, with all due respect to him, is Rice 41 really such a brand that he needed to keep the number at Arsenal?
  • edited December 2023
    To be fair, Arsenal look really good here Vs Wolves, currently 2-0 but could easily be 4-0.

Their second was a peach, really quick accurate one touch passing
  • I love a good shirt number debate.
  • I think it shows that his heart still belongs to West Ham. =)
  • ya lets all go with that =)
  • Phil Foden has 47 tattooed on his neck so guess he plans to keep his shirt number
  • edited December 2023
    In February 2022 interview Rice told Gary Neville

"It was just a number I was given in the academy by the kitman, Jamo,"

"It's stayed with me since and, to be honest, I had this conversation with my dad - regardless of what happens in my career I might stay with the 41."

"I think 'Rice 41' has a nice ring to it, I've grown up playing in it and I'm a bit superstitious about things like that... I don't know if I changed to a new number if it would hamper my performances, I don't know!"

Google is fun
  • edited December 2023
    How on earth was that not a penalty to Forest? The ref looked like he saw it and var looked at and deemed not enough contact was made to overturn the refs decision. He clearly had a large handful of the players shirt and then kicked him hahaha. What is the actual point of var when it can't even get easy decision like that right? Totally pointless, just get rid of it.
  • edited December 2023
    It's a scandal now how poor VAR decisions are. Var in my view is a great addition to the game but it's just not being used properly.

The other scandal is in a sport in which the referee is so central to results that one question is never asked of referees, a question in which they would all provide the same answer I believe. That question is this, you apply the rules of the game, do the rules apply the same regardless of where the possible infringement of them takes place?

All would say yes, yet none apply the rules inside the penalty area. Forget contact on the Forest player, the shirt pull itself is a foul and given anywhere else on the pitch.

They complain about managers bringing the game into disrepute but they do it week in and week out. I totally get the referee missing things but not the VAR.
  • Ten Hag.

I've not been paying too much attention tbh. Man U, and all that.

But having watched tonight's game, and done a bit of googling, and read some of his post-match comments - I must say I'm surprised Man U appointed him. Surprised at the ongoing adulation. He's not that impressive, d'you think?

I mean, for a club like Man U.

( I loath them, but globally etc, they are a big cheese.)
  • I don’t see how VAR officials get these decisions so wrong every week. How can they look at that shirt tug on Yates & ‘clear’ it?

The ball is swung in, Yates makes his run to attack it, the ball is cleared by Tarkowski in a zone where Yates was running into, Yates has his shirt blatantly pulled by Doucoure. The ref was looking at it but clearly didn’t see the pull clearly.

Are they saying that had they shown that to the ref, he would’ve said ‘no, that’s ok’?
  • Under its current guise, var is not fit for purpose, just get rid of it.
  • MrsGrey said:

Ten Hag.

I've not been paying too much attention tbh. Man U, and all that.

But having watched tonight's game, and done a bit of googling, and read some of his post-match comments - I must say I'm surprised Man U appointed him. Surprised at the ongoing adulation. He's not that impressive, d'you think?

I mean, for a club like Man U.

( I loath them, but globally etc, they are a big cheese.)

He's just OGS 2.0 imo.
  • edited December 2023

Under its current guise, var is not fit for purpose, just get rid of it.

They're never going to get rid of it, but it certainly has to be improved on, because it simply isn't working and, if anything, it seems to be getting worse. The "clear and obvious" has to go, even if it means (as I think it should) that the ref looks at more decisions where he sticks with what he originally thought.

As Mrs G said on another thread, "clear and obvious" simply adds another layer of interpretation, so more inconsistency. Any ref should want to have seen the incident yesterday again, even if he decides, for whatever reason, not to award a penalty; he then stands by his decision and be judged on it. As it is, we've got a bloke in a box a hundred miles away thinking, "I'd probably have given it, but I'd better not call my mates out too often".
  • Eventful first half in a couple of the games, Chelsea were 2 up against Brighton but have conceded and had a man sent off, and Liverpool have been ahead twice and pulled back twice by Fulham who have also had a goal ruled out for offside.
  • Fulham take the lead at Anfield, 2-3.
  • Unfortunately Liverpool make it 3-3.
  • edited December 2023
    And now 4-3, but there's a foul just before imo.

Elliot (I think) clattered the defender as he headed it, shouldn't have stood imo.
  • edited December 2023
    Choas at Stamford Bridge. Ball hits Collwill in the head and goes out. VAR sends the ref to the monitor even though it doesn’t hit his hand. Ref deems it wasn’t a penalty but inexplicably the ref gives the ball to Chelsea instead of awarding a corner.
  • Remember the time when Man U were feared and ( grudgingly) admired?Not any more, they’re sort of a slightly above average Premier League side now. Some on here will remember the way they imploded after Busby retired it’s looking very similar post Ferguson, we can only hope.
  • MIAHammer said:

Choas at Stamford Bridge. Ball hits Collwill in the head and goes out. VAR sends the ref to the monitor even though it doesn’t hit his hand. Ref deems it wasn’t a penalty but inexplicably the ref gives the ball to Chelsea instead of awarding a corner.

Apparantly the ref made the right call. As he had initially awarded the penalty, when it was overturned the ball goes back to Chelsea. It seems a strange decision but he was only following the rules.
  • 😲 Son scores.
  • edited December 2023
    And again, at the other end . A lovely touch off his knee😂
  • edited December 2023
    Gary Neville says Spurs are too easy to score against. You just know that habit will temporarily be suspended on Thursday.😩
  • Gary Neville says Spurs are too easy to score against. You just know that habit will temporarily be suspended on Thursday.😩

The bigger question is how many goals our defence will gift them.
  • MIAHammer said:

Gary Neville says Spurs are too easy to score against. You just know that habit will temporarily be suspended on Thursday.😩

The bigger question is how many goals our defence will gift them.
    Yeah, we've only kept one clean sheet in the PL all season, and that was against Sheffield Utd.
  • On what I’ve seen tonight they’ll have far too much for us. When they attack it’s quick and skilful and I think we’ll struggle. Defensively they’re very vulnerable but I’m not sure we can attack quickly enough to benefit from it.
  • The spurs kit is orrible