January 2024 window (cos we're talking about transfers on other threads and it's less 2 months away)

And where better to start than the perennial Youssef En-Nesyri rumour which has surfaced every window since summer 2019

According to ABC Sevilla he wants to leave and Sevilla wish they'd taken up our offer in the summer. Despite that he is currently Sevilla's top scorer with 7 goals in 15 and his contract doesn't expire until 2025

The good news is that we only have 16 "foreign" players and as we've discussed elsewhere we're allowed 17

Let the speculation begin!

Comments

• Maguire might come ,Then again he may not =)
  • Maguire has started six games in a row, I think he's pretty much back in ten Hag's good books
  • One mistake from being out of that book =)
  • Ten Hag might be on the way out...
  • Maguire has started six games in a row, I think he's pretty much back in ten Hag's good books

It's a matter of needs must I think; he's only there because of injuries.
  • If Maquire is only there because to injuries then if he wasn't there ten Hag would have to play a DM or FB as CB

Maybe if they sign a new CB in January
  • That's what I mean, ETH is only playing Maguire bwcause he has limited options. Half a dozen games won't have changed matters imo, I suspect he still wants shot of him.
  • Martinez, Varane, Lindelof and Shaw have been out so even Evans has been getting games. He went off early tonight though. I'm very cool with Maguire cementing a place though as it'll mean we dont pay stupid money and stupid wages for him
  • As Mrs Grey says its a question of who can outlast the other; Maguire or ten Hag although I doubt if ten Hag get the sack while the sale of the club is still uncertain

Last Friday ten Hag said Varane was fit but he stayed on the bench until 90+3 mins. Last night both Varane and Lindelof were on the bench with Varane coming on when Jonny Evans got injured after 16 mins.

It'll be interesting to see who starts against Luton at the weekend
  • West Ham are set to revive their interest in Bournemouth's English striker Dominic Solanke, 26.

Have to say I wouldnt mind him. He's industrious, a presence/works hard and seems like he can also put it in the net sometimes too (the guy from PSG preferred but Solanke is a decent forward I think)
  • A very good player. I wanted him in the summer.
  • edited November 2023
    Baz didn't mention that rumour is from The Sun

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/24783846/west-ham-transfer-bid-dominic-solanke-40m-offer/

Further down the article it mentions that we had a £40m bid rejected in August and with 3 years on Solanke's contract it would take a lot more to convince Bournemouth to sell

It then links us with PSG's 21yo Hugo Ekitike who signed from Reims for £25m in the summer. Four year contract but was signed before Luis Enrique took over, was an 82nd minute substitute in the first game, was on the bench for the next two games and hasn't been seen since. Also linked with Newcastle and Palace

Another option they mention is RB Leipzig and ex-Chelsea Timo Werner who rejoined the club on a four year deal in August 2022 but has only made four starts this season and has been told that he is free to leave. Linked with Fulham and Palace.

Not that we seem to want a striker, Moyes seems to be happy playing with three wingers/attacking midfielders and the two strikers we have can't even get in the starting XI.
  • edited November 2023
    The Mirror also links us with Solanke but like The Sun reckons that Bournemouth are unlikely to sell

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/west-ham-transfer-news-dominic-31468221

Its alternative Feyenoord's 22yo Santiago Gimenez (born in Argentina but plays for Mexico), joined in 2022 on a 4 year contract, currently joint top scorer in the Eredivisie (13) although Feyenoord want to keep him until the end of the season. Linked with Spurs, Arsenal and Atletico Madrid
  • edited November 2023
    Ex says there were talks about Timo Werner in the summer and we could try for a loan in January (which would be very Moyesish)

https://www.thewesthamway.com/2023/11/19/discussions-took-place-exwhuemployee-west-ham-timo-werner-update/
  • Not that we seem to want a striker, Moyes seems to be happy playing with three wingers/attacking midfielders and the two strikers we have can't even get in the starting XI.

It's more a case of needs must rather than an actual choice imo; Ings simply isn't suited to how we play and Antonio has been pretty poor for most of the season.

Gimenez would be a great signing but I suspect we'll struggle to get him given the other clubs he's been linked with. Ekitike is a bit of an odd one. He was on loan at PSG last season, and, although he struggled to get much game time (hardly surprising given their attacking options) he did trigger an obligation to buy. As ASLEF says, doesn't seem to be much of a part of the new manager's plans.

• edited November 2023
    Ex says we will not be spending much in January as we are close to the Financial Fair Play limit, "We overspent in 2021 and we have to be careful to not ‘do an Everton’."

Timo Wener on loan is one possibility Ex mentions along with 27yo Guinean CF Serhou Guirassy of VfB Stuttgart, available for around £15m.

https://www.thewesthamway.com/2023/11/22/we-are-struggling-exwhuemployee-west-ham-january-transfer-budget/

I think that kills any hope of getting Solanke in January
  • Not all bad then.
  • edited November 2023
    Surely Maxwel Cornet will be looking to leave, he's had one start against Lincoln, was a sub in the 89th minute on the opening day against Bournemouth and has had three appearances in the Europa League for around half an hour in total

He's not been called up for Ivory Coast in the last two international breaks and must be bored out of his mind
  • Ings and Cornet must be looking to move on .However how much will we really get for them .perhaps more important to get them off the wages
  • Despite the can kicking we've done that will eventually catch up with us, I can't see us bringing many players in. I do, however, think that we'll see someone appear that Timmy went to chat to when he disappeared to Brazil towards the end of the summer window. We were linked quite loudly with Yuri Alberto, but there were also suggestions that a second player was more likely (was it Marcos Leonardo?), both strikers/forward players, but I think an issue was that it was mid-season and their clubs were reluctant to let them move.

One possible explanation for not getting a striker signing across the line in the summer could be that one of these two is going to appear in January, and that, with Timmy having secured an agreement for such a move we'd limp through the first half of the season with what we had knowing that a reinforcement was already arranged for the mid-season window.

I think we'll see a delayed result from Timmy's Brazilian trip come January. Just a thought.
  • Hey,no problem. As long as we have a few spare wingers to play at cf, everything is cool. 🥺
  • Could do worse than play Soucek at CF imo
  • Could do worse than play Soucek at CF imo

Yes, he could play Areola hahaha
  • Soucek takes his tally to 7 for the season
  • January should be a time to bring in a couple of new faces, if for no other reason than to reduce the amount of work that will need doing in the summer.

We currently have a first team squad of 25, excluding Trott and Downes who are both out on loan. Of that 25, I've just put a question mark against 14 as to whether they'll be here next season:

Fabianski - Will be 39 in April, not sure how much longer he can play
    Johnson - Hasn't signed the contract he was offered, can't prove he's worth more unless he gets game time
    Cresswell - Wanted away in the summer, will be OOC next summer, not good enough any more anyway
    Kehrer - Doubt he's happy with the very limited amount of game-time he's getting
    Zouma - His knees are a concern for the longer term; if a Saudi offer came in you'd think we'd be foolish to turn it down
    Ogbonna - A great servant to the club but age has caught up and he needs to move on
    Paqueta - Gotta feel that City would have asked a difficult question if not for the investigation. Could face a ban
    Cornet - Nice cameo last night, but so rarely used you'd think he has no future here
    Fornals - Looks a shadow of the player he was, love him, but time for a move for both him and us
    Benrahma - So often flatters to deceive, end product too often lacking. LW feels a definite weak spot
    Coventry - Yes, he's part of the squad, OOC in the summer I believe, no future here
    Antonio - Past his best, time to go
    Ings - Desperate punt when things looked bad on the striker front last Jan, offers nothing with how we play
    Mubama - Hasn't signed the contract he's been offered, could be another youngster led away by an agent for cash elsewhere

This is mostly because of kicking the can down the road year after year, but it makes for pretty stark reading imo. Hopefully we'll keep Paqueta and he's free to play, and Mubama signs a contract, but whichever way you look at it, there's an awful lot of, imo, very justified question marks against players in our current squad, meaning a huge amount of work to be done by the end of the next summer window, so it would be great, if unlikely, to sort a couple of positions in January.
  • Wow. It could be a busy summer
  • During Timmy's Brazilian trip towards the end of the summer transfer window we were liked with, amongst others, Marcos Leonardo, a forward for Santos who have just been relegated. I suspect he's very likely to be open to a move now (there was reluctance for Santos to sell in the summer as it was mid-season for them) following the relegation; I wonder whether any sort of provision for a January move was reached when Timmy was over there in the summer?
  • When you put it like that, there can be no argument at all ;)
  • While I'm not denying that there isn’t a big summer coming up, there is, the issue here is the 'squad' more than anything else

Cresswell, Ogbonna and Fab you'd imagine will see out their contracts and its the right time. Fab is still doing bits but he's clearly 2nd choice. Ogbonna and Cresswell have been amazing servants but neither are up to the level of the prem, deffo not by the summer 24

Johnson and Fornals it also looks likely. Bit disappointing, especially them leaving for free, but Johnson deffo needs a new starts he's regressed so much and Fornals hasn't been good enough recently either.

I'm excited about Mubama, and hope he renews but I've seen enough of these kids getting let go for free to huge fan uproar only to see them do nothing. He hasn't shown much as a pro and youth leagues are completely different. Callum Marshall is banging it in at youth level so if Mubama leaves he'll step up.

Anang and Coventry may as well not be here, you could promote Knightbridge and Kelly and be none the weaker

The core of our XI is pretty well balanced with a decent age
    GK: Areola (30)
    RB: Coufal (31)
    CB: Zouma (29), Aguerd (27), Kehrer (27), Minos (25)
    LB: Emerson (29)
    CM: Soucek (28), JWP (29), Alvarez (28)
    AM: Paqueta (26), Kudus (23), Benrahma (28)
    CF: Bowen (26), Ings (31)

Don't expect Kehrer or Benrahma to leave, they seem to like it here. But if they do, its not really devastating.

Cornet and Antonio are more likely imo, Cornet has contributed nothing and.cant keep himself fit and Antonio was interested last summer in leaving, and given he's been dropped I think he'd be open to a move. Ings I think stays purely because we won't be able to shift his wages.

Downes I think it's 50/50, think we recoup his fee if he goes as he's doing well at the Saints but if he stays he's a bit of backup

The only players I am "worried" that will leave from the main team are Zouma and Paqueta. If Paqueta leaves, it will be for a LOT of money (the ban stuff has gone very quiet) like he was rumoured last year. If we get £90mil or more, it's a good deal and can be reinvested like we did the Rice money

Zouma is a weird one, he's our best CB but is far from irreplaceable. His contract goes in 2025, doubt he'd extend so next year probably the only year to cash in. Should be a decent fee for him if he does go

Big summer in terms of quantity but the outgoing players (Paqueta/Zouma aside) aren't exactly huge misses
This discussion has been closed.