SC Freiburg (A) Thursday 5 Oct 5:45pm ko (TNT Sports 2)

edited October 2023 in Match Threads
Willkommen im Schwarzwald!

As Munichhammer has already said no Lederhosen will be involved, this is Baden not Bavaria, a bit like mistaking Mancs for Scousres, Mackems for Geordies or Kiwis for Aussies, it is not going to end well.

SC Freiberg aka the Breisgau Brazilians are in the Europa League for the second season in a row, they finished 5th last season and were runners up in the Pokal to RB Leipzig the season before who qualified for Champions League. They finished third in the group, were relegated to the Conference League and were knocked out by Fiorentina in the play offs

They are currently 5th having beaten Augsburg 2-0 on Sunday.

Not much has changed over the summer apart from GK Mark Flekken joining Brentford who kept more clean sheets last season (13) than any other keeper in the Bundesliga. He has been replaced by German U21 Noah Atubolu who hasn't done badly apart from conceding 5 against Stuttgart and 4 against Borussia Dortmund.

Other players worth paying attention to are Italian LW Vincento Grifo who was top scorer last season (17) and made Kicker magazine's team of the season. Another of Kicker's team of the season was German international CB Matthias Ginter. Czech international RW Roland Sallai is currently top scores with 3 although one of those was against SV Oberachern from the German equivalent of the Conference.

The big miss from the squad is club captain LB Christian Günter who broke his arm in a friendly against FC Zurich, came back for two games before breaking it again in training. A German Dean Ashton?

Austrian international CF Michael Gregoritsch missed two games with a calf injury but got a minute at the end of the win over Augsburg so maybe not full fit.

Manager Christian Streich has spent his entire coaching career at Freiburg, starting as youth coach in 1995, promoted to assistant manager in 2007 and then appointed head coach in December 2011. He's been in the job 11 years, 9 months and 2 days despite getting relegated at the end of 2014/15 season but they only spent one season in Bundesliga 2.

Amazingly he's not Freiburg's longest serving manager, that honour belongs to Volker Finke who lasted exactly 16 years from 1991 to 2007. Finke was the longest serving manager in Germany but Frank Schmidt of FC Heidenheim reached 16 years and one day two weeks ago and is still going strong.

That still leaves the question, why does the Freiburg badge have Mary Poppins umbrella on it?

Comments

• Say what you like about ASLEF =) He knows his stuff and how to put a thread out there ,Great job
  • steve said:

Say what you like about ASLEF =)

But remember site rules, please =)
  • Away to Freiburg is probably the toughest game in this group, and we have another tricky game at the weekend with Newcastle. I assume we’ll see some of the cup team, but with some first teamers staying in. I’m guessing something like this

Fabianski
    Kehrer Mavropanos Ogbonna Emerson
    Alvarez Ward-Prowse
    Bowen Kudus Paqueta
    Ings
  • Will be a bit quiet on our part as our fans are banned
  • steve said:

Say what you like about ASLEF =) He knows his stuff and how to put a thread out there ,Great job

A magical combination of Google and too much time on my hands
  • edited October 2023
    Fabianski
    Kehrer - Mavropanos - Aguerd - Emerson
    Ward-Prowse - Soucek
    Bowen - Kudus - Paqueta
    Antonio

Few more first team players in what will be a tough away game.
  • Reports suggest that Bowen is injured and Antonio seemed to be struggling at the end of the Sheffield United game. Moyes is expected to make change anyway. So the starting team could be:

Fabianski
    Johnson - Mavropanos - Kehrer - Scarles
    Fornals- Soucek
    Ward-Prowse- Kudus - Benrahma
    Mubama

Ings is too slow and not suited for the lone-striker role. Cornet doesn't seem to be match-fit.
  • Whilst I agree that Ings is not fit for purpose, this isn't a ECL game where the opposition is League one standard. I can't see Moyes starting Mubama here, especially as he's only had 24 first team minutes so far this season, in the EFL against Lincoln.
  • Gaffer says Cresswell still out, and Antonio + Johnson are injured.

Bowen not mentioned, so I'm assuming he's OK.
  • Going to be tricky if that Antonio injury is serious.
  • Play Bowen up top and play Kudus on the left.
  • Moyes confirms players unavailable

Antonio (tight adductor),
    Johnson (tight groin)
    Creswell (tight fit)

• edited October 2023

Play Bowen up top and play Kudus on the left.

Kudus played on the right for Ajax from the end of January last season so logically Bowen up front with Kudus on the right and Paqueta or Benrahma on the left
  • edited October 2023
    I'd rather have Kudus up top and not disturb Bowen on the right
  • Moyes confirms players unavailable

Antonio (tight adductor),
    Johnson (tight groin)
    Creswell (tight fit)

I appreciate this
  • West Ham can break the record for the most European matches unbeaten by an English side when they play SC Freiburg in the Europa League on Thursday.

The Hammers are on a run of 16 games without defeat, level with Pep Guardiola's current Manchester City team, Don Revie's Leeds in the 1960s and Bill Nicholson's 1970s Tottenham side.
  • What could go wrong =)
  • I know the time is in the thread title, but just a reminder that this is an early game tonight, 5.45pm (BST) start.
  • edited October 2023
    Fabiański (c), Coufal, Mavropanos, Aguerd, Kehrer, Álvarez, Ward-Prowse, Fornals, Paquetá, Kudus, Bowen
    Subs: Areola (GK), Anang (GK), Zouma, Ogbonna, Emerson, Souček, Coventry, Cornet, Benrahma, Ings, Mubama

I'm pleased we're trying someone other than Ings up front tbh. I hope Kehrer has a better time at LB than the only other occasion I can remember him there.
  • Can't believe the formation my streamer had us playing, Alvarez in the middle of a back 3 with Kehrer and Dinos, Aguerd and Coufal as wingbacks.
  • Can't believe the formation my streamer had us playing, Alvarez in the middle of a back 3 with Kehrer and Dinos, Aguerd and Coufal as wingbacks.

Yeah it’s definitely not that!

It looks like a 4-4-2 with Bowen and Paqueta up front, Fornals left midfield and Kudus right.
  • Kehrer has played LB for Germany
  • Dinos gives me an early heart attack before making amends.
  • alderz said:

Can't believe the formation my streamer had us playing, Alvarez in the middle of a back 3 with Kehrer and Dinos, Aguerd and Coufal as wingbacks.

It looks like a 4-4-2 with Bowen and Paqueta up front, Fornals left midfield and Kudus right.
    As I posted that Paqueta picked up the ball at left back so maybe not 😂
  • Kudus does get you up off your seat, doesn't he?
  • alderz said:

alderz said:

Can't believe the formation my streamer had us playing, Alvarez in the middle of a back 3 with Kehrer and Dinos, Aguerd and Coufal as wingbacks.

As I posted that Paqueta picked up the ball at left back so maybe not 😂
    Lol, I noticed that. I suspect it's a 4-3-3 (Fornals-Bowen-Kudus as the front 3). Paqueta with more license to get forward into a 4-2-3-1.
  • 1-0! Paqueta! Great work from Bowen
  • It’s really weird not hearing any fans cheer
  • Yippee 😁