Other matches 30th Sept to 2nd October

Watching the Spurs v Liverpool game. Jones been given a red. He didn't look like he mean to do the Spurs player but his foot bounced over the top of the ball. Neville reckons it should only be a yellow, not sure I agree with him.

I'll have to wait till half time to see the red card as I was watching the Ryder Cup.

Liverpool score on the break, it's flagged offside and VAR confirms.

Comments

• And now Spurs score to rub it in.
  • Liverpool score deep in first half stoppage time.
  • Wrt the red card, in today's game it's a defo red imo. Yes, his foot bounced off the top of the ball, but if his foot is high enough to do that, studs up, then it's a red all day long these days.
  • I've looked at it a few times and for me it's a definite red card. He went for ball but once you don't get it cleanly and you then go over the ball and straight onto the opposing players shin, for me it's a red.
  • I havent seen it but I'm sure its just a yellow ;)
  • Bazshuayi said:

I havent seen it but I'm sure its just a yellow ;)

The same as both of Jota's (in the space of a few minutes) were; Liverpool down to 9.
  • I was watching Watkins goals and assists on youtube. Hopefully Alderz doesn't have to watch them. Nobody wants to see that
  • Same as nobody likes to see Liverpool concede a decisive OG 20 seconds from the end of added time. Although I don't like seeing Spurs score in such a situation I have to admit.
  • Tottenham the only unbeaten team, No one likes to see that.
  • Arsenal haven’t lost either
  • PGMOL now apologise to Liverpool as the Diaz goal in the first half was onside but VAR did not intervene and overrule the on field officials.
  • PGMOL now apologise to Liverpool as the Diaz goal in the first half was onside but VAR did not intervene and overrule the on field officials.

Must admit I though it was close (not the Spurs player in the middle, but the one towards the near touchline) but the VAR check for offside was done really quickly.

Yet another huge VAR mistake.

• edited October 2023
    Have just seen the clip highlighted on MOTD, a truly shocking decision. Not that I've got too much sympathy for Liverpool given this classic was allowed to stand under the lino's nose against us:
  • Have I missed a Klopp implosion ???

=) =) =)
  • It looks like Klopp has realised that having a moan just hurts him in the pocket and doesn't to anything to stop referees from making a horlicks when in the VAR booth.
  • It looks like Klopp has realised that having a moan just hurts him in the pocket and doesn't to anything to stop referees from making a horlicks when in the VAR booth.

I thought that it was an absolute shocker, LiVARpool getting one go against them =)
  • VAR official now saying he thought the goal had been awarded so didn’t change it. Was he not actually watching the match when you could clearly see the flag up and the ref’s arm raised indicating indirect free kick.
  • He was watching the screen showing our game 😁😁😁
  • VAR official now saying he thought the goal had been awarded so didn’t change it. Was he not actually watching the match when you could clearly see the flag up and the ref’s arm raised indicating indirect free kick.

Surely if that was the case he would have said something as soon as he saw them taking a free kick instead of going back to the centre for kick-off.

• 14 minutes stoppage time played in NF v Brentford.
    NF did well to hang on with 10 men.
  • The two VAR officials at that game were stood down from todays Forest game and tomorrows Chelsea game.
  • Darren England has been involved in a lot of the contentious VAR calls this season.
  • Whatever team it involves, I really just dont understand how VAR can consistently get things wrong or not intervene when its appropriate etc etc. It almost feels like they can hide behind human error or stupidity. I truly hope its that rather than negative bias or similar. VAR was supposed to lessen controversy/get calls right when crucial to help out the refs
  • Hilarious how that clearance from Turner wasn’t a pen.
  • Bazshuayi said:

VAR was supposed to lessen controversy/get calls right when crucial to help out the refs

Yesterday was exactly the sort of thing that VAR should be perfect for; the lino gets an offside decision wrong, so VAR should be able to correct the mistake. We all accept that being a ref or lino isn't always easy, football is a fast moving game and they only get one look which may not always be from the best or clearest angle. For VAR to make such mistakes is simply inexcusable, but to make them time and again is beyond belief.

It also doesn't help that refs are so protected from criticism by their own professional body; they might get stood down for a week or two, but then they carry on as normal. The Mike Dean admission that he didn't call a ref to the screen because the ref had already had a bad day just sums it all up, they are all just looking out for each other.

• edited October 2023
    Liverpool "exploring options" after VAR mistake:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66978938

"In a statement, the club have said they will "explore the range of options available"."

"The officials were stood down from duty for the rest of the weekend but Liverpool insist they will continue to pursue the matter."

What do they hope to achieve? Others have been on the end of admitted mistakes by VAR, but Liverpool get one decision go against them and they think they're entitled to something. A replay perhaps? Typical of the sense of entitlement of Liverpool and a couple of other historically "big" clubs that makes me really dislike them.
  • I get where youre coming from entitlement wise. However, I believe if clubs meekly let it go when they get apologies after the wrong decisions are made then they're under no pressure to do anything about the standard of VAR officiating. The apologies even just this season are too frequent and basically say tough luck you got shafted yesterday better luck next time
  • To be fair to liverpool. That mistake should never happen. The majority of bad decisions are down to interpretation and opinion, but the liverpool one was just blatant incompetency.
    They need to clear up the handball rule more than anything. I dont know how that wasnt a handball against dominguez yesterday. There's no consistency at all.
  • edited October 2023
    IMHO while there’s no doubt that the men operating VAR made a huge error I think Liverpool’s comments are OTT.
    Sporting integrity is an insult, I’m sure the officials involved feel worse than anyone else, they never would have done this on purpose…

While it needs sorting IMO Liverpool have gone one step too far with their statement, exploring all avenues is laughable IMO.

There is no way the game can be replayed or voided under current laws, they must know that, so what they want to achieve I’m not quite sure, all this is just IMO of course
  • I would imagine the "all avenues" would be less about getting the game replayed or anything like that, and more to do with seeking some form of compensation. Or it's just to kick up as much of a stink as possible to make sure the conversation revolves around injustice to Liverpool, rather than anything else.