Sheffield Utd (H) Sat 30 Sept 3pm (not on TV)

edited September 2023 in Match Threads
No matter what the result they will blame Tevez

The Blunts finished 2nd in the Championship by playing fairly “old school” football; aggressive in defence then hoofing the ball up for wingbacks to chase or to a big, strong centre forward with a smaller, nippier striker playing off him. Heckcingbootom has stuck with the plan but it would appear that what worked in the Championship isn't doing quite so well in the Premier League.

The problems started before the season even began when “smaller, nippier” Senegal international Iliman Ndiaye joined Marseille for £20m. Neither of the strikers brought in to replace Ndiaye - 20yo Benie Troare (Swedish club BK Hacken £3.9m) and 21yo Cameron Archer (Villa £18m) - seem to have settled in partnership with “big, strong” Ollie McBurnie,

Troare started the first three games but failed to score and was dropped to the bench. Archer looked promising in his first start, scoring and hitting the woodwork against Everton but he has now gone two games without managing to have a single shot on goal.

If things weren't bad enough McBurnie missed the Newcastle game after getting a second yellow for dissent in the 14th minute of time added on against Spurs

Another big loss was Norwegian CM Sander Berge who joined Burnley for £12m, £10m less than they paid Genk in 2020 but with a year left on his contract he refused to sign an extension.

They signed two Brazilians, Gustavo Hamer from Coventry for £15m and Vini Souza from Belgian side Lommel Urd for £10m. Both seem to have settled in and Hamer is currently top scorer with two,

Both goals came from set pieces, both shots from around the left, just inside or just outside of the penalty area. Need to keep an eye on him at corners, free kicks, long throws, etc.

They set up in a 3-5-2 with the wing backs pushing up although currently both last season's first choice wing backs, George Baldock on the right and Max Lowe on the left – are on the injured list. 23yo Jayden Bogle and 20yo Leicester City loanee Luke Thomas have been deputising in their absence. Bogle scored against City after replacing Baldock in the second half.

After last weeks nightmare against Newcastle you have to wonder if first choice GK Wes Foderington might be suffering a touch of PTSD, before last weekend he'd already conceded 9 goals in 5 games so backup Adam Christie could offer an alternative

Foderington???
Ahmedhodzic Egan Robinson
Bogle Hamer Norwood Souza Thomas
Archer McBurnie

And naturally I'm working...

Comments

• Brilliant information that adds to my enjoyment of the game. Especially like hearing about ASLEFs shift patterns. You won’t get that on MOTD.
  • They signed two Brazilians, Gustavo Hamer from Coventry for £15m and Vini Souza from Belgian side Lommel Urd for £10m. Both seem to have settled in and Hamer is currently top scorer with two,

Both goals came from set pieces, both shots from around the left, just inside or just outside of the penalty area. Need to keep an eye on him at corners, free kicks, long throws, etc.

I watched the Coventry play-off games as we were being linked to their CF Gyokeres (who eventually went to Sporting) and Hamer definitely looked the better player; I'm not surprised he's doing OK (so far) in the PL.

• ASLEF. The problem you have given yourself with your excellent match threads is that you have set the bar so high you have given yourself a job for life.
  • From the BBC daily live page:

"Sheffield United's last win at the London Stadium came in 2005 when they two clubs met in the Championship."

I know that journalistic standards are dropping everywhere, but please, the London Stadium wasn't even a twinkle in Seb Coe's eye at the time of that match, as we weren't awarded the Olympics for another 6 months.
  • We need to bounce back after two defeats. SHU will want to erase the thrashing from Newcastle.

Aguerd has made too many mistakes though he must be due a good game, but needs to be dropped. If Moyes is felling adventurous (Moyes, adventurous??) I would suggest this team:

Areola
    Coufal - Zouma - Mavropanos - Emerson
    Paqueta - Alvarez
    Bowen - Kudus -Benrahma
    Antonio
  • I don’t mind Aguerd coming out, but I also don’t know that Dinos can play on the left of the two.

I absolutely don’t understand the logic of leaving JWP out.

I would like to see: Areola; Coufal Mavropanos Zouma Emerson; Ward-Prowse Alvarez; Bowen Kudus Paqueta; Antonio
  • I can't see JWP being left out on current form but the idea of even considering it shows what quality we have in midfield. I think JWP, Paqueta, Alverez, Benrhama, Bowen, Kudus and Soucek could be considered starting 11, with Fornals not too far behind. If you look up front however we have Antonio who is arguably starting 11 quality and Ings and Muamba as back up. I think on first evidence we have undoubtedly spent well but it is a little lopsided. I think Ings has failed to provide the threat Moyes would have hoped and I think we may need to look again in January for an attacker or begin to allow Muamba his chance.
  • Areola
    Coufal - Zouma - Ogbonna - Emerson
    Ward-Prowse - Alvarez
    Bowen - Kudus - Paqueta
    Antonio
  • alderz said:

I don’t mind Aguerd coming out, but I also don’t know that Dinos can play on the left of the two.

I absolutely don’t understand the logic of leaving JWP out.

I would like to see: Areola; Coufal Mavropanos Zouma Emerson; Ward-Prowse Alvarez; Bowen Kudus Paqueta; Antonio

I know he played yesterday so it's possible he'll be on the bench, but Moyes hasn't really given any indication that he's likely to drop Soucek. I suspect we'll start the same team as against Liverpool, although I wouldn't be averse to trying Kudus in for Antonio, as I'm getting fed up with his constantly going to ground and never winning anything. Moyes refused to buy a CF in the summer, so let's try one of the "versatile" forwards he has in the squad to see if they can do a decent job.
  • I'd say Bowen and JWP are the first 2 names on the team sheet (and with the way we play, Alvarez the next name). Zero chance of JWP not being in the starting 11
  • A bit of news from Bramall Lane

Record signing (£23.5m) CF Rhian Brewster is expected to be on the bench after 11 months out with a hamstring injury that required surgery.

Gustavo Hamer has recovered from the thigh problem that forced him off after 66 mins against Newcastle

33yo CM John Fleck has recovered from a broken leg he suffered in early August. Seems he broke a leg in late August last year. If I were him I'd give August next year a miss
  • I’d play Aguerd over Mavropanos for multiple reasons:

1) The latter played against Lincoln so the former will be more fresh

2) Could Mavropanos play on the left? We’d be playing him slightly out of position

3) This is probably the most important one… I think our next match in the Europa League will be a little tougher than this match against Sheff United. Since I think Mavropanos could be the better player, I’d prefer to see him play against Freiburg and Aguerd play against the slightly easier (but by no means easy) Sheffield United.
  • Zouma played on the left a lot with Dawson, so I think he could be the one on the left of a pairing with Dinos.
  • Not much in Moyes's presser, except that Cresswell probably won't be available following his hamstring issue.
  • Quote from Moyes about Kudus in the Evening Standard

“Mo’s ready, I’ve got no doubt about that, I think he was ready when he came, he wasn’t needing games he wasn’t needing training, he’d done all that. He’s ready and when we see the right opportunities and moments we’ll use him.

“I see him playing several different positions but he’s probably another midfield player for us, another No10. We’ve got a lot of competition in that position at the moment and he can play off the sides. He’s played centre-forward as well.

“There’s little bits of all those we can use if we need to but probably where we see him most is around No10 or one of three midfield players.”

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/west-ham-kudus-alvarez-moyes-heitinga-b1110374.html

Away at Luton we were:-

Areola
    Coufal Zouma Aguerd Emerson
    Alvarez Ward-Prowse
    Bowen Paqueata Benrahma
    Antonio

My guess is Moyes will start the same XI but with Kudus instead of Benrahma
  • Same team as started at Liverpool
  • Not surprised ,But would have liked Kudus to start this game
  • Tony Gale on co comms.....
  • I suspect we'll start the same team as against Liverpool........

Called it.

• Superb block by Aguerd.
  • edited September 2023
    Damn, 2 goal-line clearances from a corner, the first a save by the keeper from Bowen, then Aguerd, falling backwards, couldn't get enough power to beat the defender on the line with the headed rebound.
  • edited September 2023
    We’ve looked alright so far, but I do question our ability to open teams up outside of set pieces.
  • Free-kick on the edge of the box, but it would suit a left-footer more. JWP still looking likely to take it even though Paqueta is also there.
  • Tame effort tbh, easy save for the keeper.
  • Get in, Bowen.
  • That’s a lovely goal. Quality build up, great cut back from Coufal and a brilliant finish.
  • Another assist for Coufal.
  • Superb passing move capped off by a goal
  • Antonio maybe coulda done better there.