Lincoln City Carabao Cup 7:45pm Wed 27th Sep, not on TV (ah go on, go on, go on, go on)

edited September 2023 in Match Threads
Well, if no one else will I might as well

The last time we visited Sincil Bank was 10th November 1982

Eddy Grant was No.1 with “I don't wanna dance”

Channel 4 was in its second week of broadcasting

The first Ford Sierras were rolling off the production line at Dagenham

The Thames Barrier had shut its gates for the first time

NHS staff were engaged in a long running dispute over pay (plus ça change )

And Brezhnev died but we didn't find out until the next day

By coincidence it was in the 3rd round of the League Cup (or Milk Cup as it was), they were top of old 3rd Division and we were 3rd in the 1st Division, behind Liverpool and Man City. We finished 8th, Liverpool won the title (it was the 80s) and City were relegated.

Paul Goddard scored in the first half but Lincoln equalised towards the end to force a replay.

Three weeks later Ray Stewart had a penalty saved but scored on the rebound just before half time, Yet again Lincoln levelled the scores towards the end of the match through a Sandy Clark own goal but he made amends by scoring the winner in extra time.

It was also Jimmy Neighbour's 96th and last appearance in a West Ham shirt.

Since then Lincoln have spent most of their time in the 4th tier, suffered six seasons in the Conference before returning to League Two in 2017 and then winning promotion to League One in 2019. They are currently 10th

Sincil Bank is currently called the LNER Stadium and season ticket holders get a 25% discount on all LNER services.

Comments

• Excellent info as usual ASLEF 👏👏👏

Either that or I have far too much time on my hands...

Either that or I have far too much time on my hands...
    A little from column A, a little from column B 😂🤣😂.
  • I'm assuming we'll see close to the team from last week against TSC, but I'd love to see at least a couple of youngsters in the side too. The fact that both Johnson and Cresswell were missing at the weekend makes me think they may not be available, in which case I would hope Ollie Scarles might get a go at left back, rather than having Emerson play another game. Seeing as Conor Coventry hasn't gone out on loan, this feels like the only kind of game he's going to get for us this season, so I'd like to see him start. Lastly, I think it's likely that Danny Ings will start up top, but I'd much rather give Divin Mubama some valuable game time too.

Fabianski; Kehrer Mavropanos Ogbonna Scarles; Coventry Fornals; Kudus Benrahma Cornet; Mubama
  • I’m not sure why there’s a clamour for youngsters to play. We have a squad of 24 a lot of whom don’t get to play regularly so I’d expect them to be pretty miffed if they don’t get to play in the PL and then get overlooked for the cup games.
    The under 21’s have their own competition against league 1 and 2 sides for the experience.
  • The squad of 24 can play in the Europa League group stages. Cup games like this are a good chance to involve at least a couple of young players in a genuinely competitive game and to play under Moyes and together with the senior players.
  • edited September 2023
    alderz said:

I'm assuming we'll see close to the team from last week against TSC, but I'd love to see at least a couple of youngsters in the side too. The fact that both Johnson and Cresswell were missing at the weekend makes me think they may not be available,

Johnson played for the u21s on Friday, Cresswell went off injured at half time against TSC didn't he? Johnson seems to be out of favour atm imo.

• I'm sure the tv cameras showed that Johnson was at Anfield?
  • MrsGrey said:

I'm sure the tv cameras showed that Johnson was at Anfield?

Even players not expected to be in the matchday squad should still travel in case of emergencies imo.
  • I’m not sure why there’s a clamour for youngsters to play. We have a squad of 24 a lot of whom don’t get to play regularly so I’d expect them to be pretty miffed if they don’t get to play in the PL and then get overlooked for the cup games.
    The under 21’s have their own competition against league 1 and 2 sides for the experience.

I would like Mubama and Scarles to get chances because I think we learn nothing by playing Cresswell and Ings in a game against a much weaker side.
  • alderz said:

I would like Mubama and Scarles to get chances because I think we learn nothing by playing Cresswell and Ings in a game against a much weaker side.

I'd definitely like a few of the younger players to get a good run out in this. The manager and coaches should have an idea of where the younger players are; I know the u18s did really well last season, but there's last season's u21s group already waiting their chance. The vast majority won't make it with us, but if a couple show genuine promise then this is the sort of game for 2 or 3 of them, alongside first team players, to see where they are in their progression.

I agree with Thornbury in that some of the first team squad desperately need some minutes (Cornet anyone?), but I think we can provide a good balance of a few PL starters, a few u21s (which now largely includes last season's successful u18s I think) and then some PL bench players. Ings shouldn't be anywhere near the starting line-up imo, I'd much rather see Mubama, or even Cornet or Kudus, there seeing as Moyes couldn't find a CF he liked in the summer window.

• MrsGrey said:

I'm sure the tv cameras showed that Johnson was at Anfield?

Even players not expected to be in the matchday squad should still travel in case of emergencies imo.
    I was more responding to the theory that he wasn't available.

There's always been the case that a couple of kids travel with the first team but don't make the bench ( Noble has talked about that in his yoof days) just to get experience of what it's like. So on the day they make a debut ( ok, not really Johnson's situation) some of the ancillary stress is taken away.
  • Cornet to get more than 5 minutes?
  • edited September 2023
    Lincoln have lost their last two League One games, beaten 2-1 away at Pompey (1st) and 2-0 away at Derby (9th). Prior to that they drew 1-1 at home against Carlisle (20th) and 1-1 away at Bristol Rovers (13th). They reached the 3rd round by beating Sheffield United on penalties after a 0-0 draw.

Johnson played for the u21s on Friday, Cresswell went off injured at half time against TSC didn't he? Johnson seems to be out of favour atm imo.

Johnson was on the bench against TSC and played 90 minutes with the U21s

On Saturday Moyes said Cressers had "a bit of a hamstring problem"
    Bazshuayi said:

Cornet to get more than 5 minutes?

You'd hope so otherwise he could be off in January

Hopefully...

Fabianski
    Kehrer Mavropanos Ogbonna Johnson
    Coventry Fornals
    Kudus Benrahma Cornet
    Ings

Bring the kids on after 75 minutes when we're 2-0 up and unlikely to blow it
  • Great intro Aslef, 🎼 Jimmy, Jimmy Neighbour, Jimmy Neighbour on the wiing🎼
  • I would like to see

Fabianski
    Johnson Mavropanos Kehrer Scarles
    Fornals Coventry
    Benrahma Kudus Cornet
    Mubama

But Moyes may think differently and more pragmatically. Maybe he would play Aguera and then drop him from the EPL game as he has made too many errors. He might worry about Lincoln's long ball aerial game and play Soucek to provide height and aerial protection. But we need to play to our strengths. Give youth a chance.
  • I'm sure moyes would rather his back-ups get minutes so they are match fit for when/if they are needed then giving youngsters minutes

Fab
    Kehrer Minos Ogbonna Johnson
    Fornals Soucek
    Cornet Kudus Benrahma
    Ings

Expect something similar to the above
  • Great intro Aslef, 🎼 Jimmy, Jimmy Neighbour, Jimmy Neighbour on the wiing🎼

I remember the rest of this from my season ticket days. 😀
  • I'd like to see:

Fab
    Kehrer Dinos Ogbonna Johnson
    Kudus Soucek Fornals Benrahma
    Mubama Cornet

Areola Scarles Aguerd JWP Coventry Marshall Paqueta Marshall
  • I'd like to see:

Fab
    Mubama Cornet

Double Marshall!
  • Neighbours everybody needs Jimmy neighbours

• alderz said:

I'd like to see:

Fab
    Mubama Cornet

Double Marshall!
    I’m clearly keen to see him! I think one of the Marshall’s is meant to be Ings
  • Tomorrow, I'm visiting my brother who lives near Valencia. Flight arrives 7pm Spanish time, he reckons we'll be back at his place in time to see the game, if he can find a stream of course. Fingers crossed.
  • alderz said:

I'd like to see:

Fab
    Mubama Cornet

Double Marshall!
    It could be Dillon (for those of a certain vintage). ;)
  • alderz said:

I'd like to see:

Fab
    Mubama Cornet

Double Marshall!
    But nobody wants to see Marshall no more
  • Bazshuayi said:

alderz said:

I'd like to see:

Fab
    Mubama Cornet

Double Marshall!
    But nobody wants to see Marshall no more
    Slim Shady!
  • edited September 2023
    Lincoln have a major problem up top

Last season's top scorer Ben House has missed the last four games with a hip injury while new recruit Tyler Walker has missed five with a hamstring and neither is expected back for a few months.

On deadline day they signed Blackburn's Welsh U21 Jack Vale on a season long loan but he was recovering from a hamstring when they signed him, he hasn't played yet and isn't expected to be available tonight.

According to a fan site The Stacey West Lincoln City have a "perennial problem" with centre forwards

In the absence of a senior striker they gave 19yo Jovon Makama a start against Derby in the EFL trophy while wingers Reeco Hackett and Hakeeb Adelakun have played as makeshift strikers in the league.

To add to their woes LW/AM Danny Mandroiu has missed the last three games and while it was hoped he'd be fit for tonight manager Mark Kennedy has confirmed "it's slightly too early for him"

The Stacey West describes this as their biggest game since Everton in the 2019 League Cup. It sold out in 15 minutes so "The Bank" (they don't call it the LNER) should be packed tonight (good atmos)
  • Then I won't tell the current MrsIH I'm going to "The Bank" then as she already worries where all the money goes. 😉
  • edited September 2023

Lincoln West Ham have a major problem up top

According to a fan site The Stacey West Lincoln City Ham have a "perennial problem" with centre forwards

Fixed it for ya. ;)
  • edited September 2023
    Fabiański, Kehrer, Mavropanos, Ogbonna ©, Johnson, Souček, Fornals, Benrahma, Kudus, Cornet, Ings
    Subs: Anang (GK), Coufal, Aguerd, Casey, Álvarez, Coventry, Chesters, Mubama, Marshall

Sorry, but why start Ings? A bit of a disappointing line-up imo.