Thursday Night Football: TSC Backa Topola at London Stadium

I don't really want to start a thread, because ASLEF has been very good at them so far this season, and I am not going to bother doing an impression of him.

I assume we'll see a few fresh faces on Thursday night - particularly as we have a tough game at Anfield on Sunday - but the boss will want to get points on the board early doors too, so I don't think it will be wholesale changes.

I reckon we'll see something like this:

Fabianski; Kehrer Mavraponos Aguerd Johnson; Soucek Ward-Prowse; Bowen Kudus Benrahma; Ings
Bench: Areola Zouma Coufal Emerson Paqueta Fornals Cornet Mubama Antonio

Comments

• Maybe Cresswell over Johnson?
  • Maybe Ogbonna over Aguerd as captain ⚒️
  • edited September 2023
    TSC ended up in the Europa League after being knocked out of the Champions League by Braga

Last season Braga finished 3rd in their Europa League group stage and were subsequently knocked out of the Conference League by Fiorentina

So were playing a team that were beaten by a team that was beaten by the team we beat in the ECL final

They're romping away with the Serbia SuperLiga at the moment P7 W6 D1 L0 GF18 GA6, 4pts clear of Red Star Belgrade although they play them at the weekend.

It's a very Serbian side, just four foreigners; a Croatian, a North Macedonian, a Hungarian and Montenegrin who was born in Serbia.

There aren't any current full internationals in the squad but three players - 31yo LB Nemanja Petrovic, 25yo CB Nemanja Stojic and 21yo LW Milos Pantovic - all won their first caps in a friendly against the USA in January but none of them have featured in the Serbian side since then.

North Macedonian Martin Mircevski (26yo LW/AM/CF) got his first cap by playing 7 minutes against Azerbaijan in November but like his team mates he's not been recalled.

Away to Braga they set up 3-5-2 and lost 3-0 then for the home leg they started 4-3-3 and lost 4-1.

Backa Topola is the second largest town (pop. 33.3k) in a largely agricultural region

Our away fixture isn't until the end of November so sadly we'll be too late for the annual stuffed cabbage cooking contest (end of October) plus we've already missed the Carnival of Honey (last weekend) and the Vojvodina Peasants Olympics (20th August) featuring rubber boot throwing, straw bale throwing, tractor racing, "bean reading", egg carrying and a "traditional pig ring"

I don't think I want to know...
  • Rubber boot throwing? I think you mean Welly Wanging hahaha

• Our away fixture isn't until the end of November so sadly we'll be too late for the annual stuffed cabbage cooking contest (end of October) plus we've already missed the Carnival of Honey (last weekend) and the Vojvodina Peasants Olympics (20th August) featuring rubber boot throwing, straw bale throwing, tractor racing, "bean reading", egg carrying and a "traditional pig ring"

How come we don’t see these events in the official Olympics I’m sure it would boost viewer ratings.
  • Fabianski
    Kehrer - Mavropanos - Ogbonna - Cresswell
    Coventry - Fornals
    Bowen - Kudus - Benrahma
    Mubama
  • Lukerz said:

Fabianski
    Kehrer - Mavropanos - Ogbonna - Cresswell
    Coventry - Fornals
    Bowen - Kudus - Benrahma
    Mubama

Ouch, 10 changes from the City game, and still Cornet can't get a game.
  • IronHerb said:

Maybe Cresswell over Johnson?

I thought about that, but with it rumoured that Cresswell wants out, and Moyes not wanting to lose Johnson, I’d have thought he’d get him on the pitch every now and then
  • He'll change hi tne if he plays Cornet...

#coat_retrieval
  • edited September 2023
    Having a bit if a dig around and only one TSC player seems to have played in a "big" league.

27yo CM Milos Vulic spent 2020/21 season in Serie A with FC Crotone, followed by two seasons in Serie B before joining TSC on a free last month.

Fabianski
    Johnson Kehrer Mavropanos Cresswell
    Soucek (c) Fornals
    Kudus Benrahma Cornet
    Ings

Last season Dawson wanted to leave in the summer but was professional about it and played his best when asked, I don't see why Cresswell would be any different. He played in the "Lingard" friendly and scored a free kick
  • I’d be surprised if Moyes plays the below team however it’s the team I’d like to see us play:

—————— Fab —————-
    Johnson Mavro Ogbonna Cress
    ————— Kehrer —————-
    ——— Soucek - Fornals ——
    — Kudus ———-— Cornet —
    ——-——- Mubama ————-

Ogbonna captain
  • Kehrer used to play DM for Schalke's reserves in the German 4th tier but since 2015 he's only done it a handful of times and only as a substitute at the very end of a match

Effectively we'd be playing three CBs against a Championship/League One level team.

Oggy is 35, I'm sure he'd be happy to let Mavropanos have some minutes then replace him when we are 3-0 up and Dinos runs out of puff

BTW 3-0 currently bookies favourite at 11/2
  • I hope we do not underestimate who we are playing. A must win.
  • edited September 2023
    Our record in Europe over the last two seasons is P27 W20 D3 L4

In the group stages its P12 W10 D1 L1

I have absolutely no worries that Moyes will underestimate the opposition
  • Is Cresswell suspended for this? He received a red in Frankfurt but played in the Viborg 1st Leg in the Conference last season. I don't know if the red applies to the Europa exclusively.
  • edited September 2023
    IronHerb said:

Is Cresswell suspended for this? He received a red in Frankfurt but played in the Viborg 1st Leg in the Conference last season. I don't know if the red applies to the Europa exclusively.

I'd be extremely surprised if he's not available to play.

From Moyes's presser:

The first question is about team news:

"We've got everybody available, everybody fit and ready to play.
    Edson Álvarez is suspended. He's still getting used to the Premier League but he's fine and fit and healthy."

Not sure why Alvarez is suspended, but I suspect he woulda been rested anyway.
  • IronHerb said:

Is Cresswell suspended for this? He received a red in Frankfurt but played in the Viborg 1st Leg in the Conference last season. I don't know if the red applies to the Europa exclusively.

Cresswell didn't play in the first leg against Viborg.

We played a 3-4-3 formation, with Johnson & Coufal either side of Obgonna at CB, and Cornet as the LWB.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/west-ham-united_viborg-ff/index/spielbericht/3899237
  • Alvarez is suspended for his first European game obtained while playing for Ajax.
  • alderz said:

IronHerb said:

Cresswell didn't play in the first leg against Viborg.

We played a 3-4-3 formation, with Johnson & Coufal either side of Obgonna at CB, and Cornet as the LWB.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/west-ham-united_viborg-ff/index/spielbericht/3899237
    Yep. I looked at the 2nd Leg line up. 🤦‍♂️
  • edited September 2023
    Europa League rules are that "all yellow cards expire on completion of the quarter-finals. They are not carried forward to the semi-finals" so Cresswell's yellow cards against Viborg and Silkeborg were cancelled when we beat Gent

Also "Cautions and pending yellow-card suspensions from the UEFA Champions League, the UEFA Europa League or the UEFA Europa Conference League expire at the end of the season"

So despite getting booked in the final Cresswell has currently no bookings - but give him time...

Alvarez got two yellows in Ajax's Europa League playoff 2nd leg against Union Berlin, lost 3-1. That does carry over.
  • edited September 2023
    Matchday for the start of our new European adventure.

COYI ⚒⚒⚒
  • Backa Topola... Sounds like a sneaky circus trick to me. Hopefully we dont get fooled and we give them a damn good thrashing
  • Bazshuayi said:

Backa Topola... Sounds like a sneaky circus trick to me. Hopefully we dont get fooled and we give them a damn good thrashing

It’s a Serbian candy bar.
  • edited September 2023
    Fabiański, Kehrer, Mavropanos, Ogbonna ©, Cresswell, Paquetá, Ward-Prowse, Fornals, Benrahma, Kudus, Ings
    Subs: Areola (GK), Anang (GK), Coufal, Johnson, Emerson, Zouma, Aguerd, Coventry, Souček, Cornet, Antonio, Mubama

Pleased that we get to see what Kudus can do, but disappointed Cornet doesn't get a start somewhere tbh.
  • Yes really looking forward to seeing kudus get an hour or so perhaps even the full 90
  • Not much action on here ,Hope there's more on the pitch =)
  • Villa just lost to Legia Warsaw. Makes you realise how efficient and successful we’ve been in Europe the last couple of seasons.
  • Did anyone else expect JWP to score that free kick? I’ve not felt that confident since Payet was here
  • This has been quite enjoyable so far. Obviously TSC aren’t offering much, but I’m liking what I’ve seen of Mavropanos. He’s a unit!
  • Enjoyable but a little frustrating we haven’t scored…Still, long way to go I suppose …⚒️⚒️⚒️