September 2023 Internationals

2»

Comments

• Maguire starts for England you just have to Laugh ,
  • I don't mind it, personally. I think he's almost always solid for England, and it's only really him and Stones that are established centre backs at international level. I think if Stones had been fit, Maguire wouldn't have played, but the fact he's out means he's gone with the experienced option.
  • edited September 2023
    I don't get why people say he never lets England down, imo it's just not true. Most of the games England play are against vastly inferior teams, so you'd hardly expect the defence to be under much pressure, but against better teams he's definitely suspect.

He had a shocker against Germany in the 3-3 draw just before the World Cup (gave away a penalty and gave away possession for another goal so directly involved in 2 of their goals) and he was very poor for the Italy goal earlier this year (gave the ball away with a pass, then dived in to try and recover it, missed, and was miles out of position as Italy scored).

I honestly don't think he plays well for England, it's just that, because the standard of the opposition is usually so poor, there's fewer chances for him to make a mistake. I'm so glad he wasn't prepared to compromise in his payoff dispute with Man Utd as he woulda been dreadful business at the £30m we were widely reported as happy to pay.
  • And Henderson?
  • I just don’t agree with that, buffy. I think he’s have been excellent in a David Moyes defence, and I think he’s good for England. Imo people are blinded by the fact he’s a meme. That’s not to say I would personally have started him. But I definitely understand it.

Henderson, on the other hand, I do not understand.
  • Yarmolenko on the bench, glad he's recovered from his injury
  • I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one alderz 👍. Personally I think the standard of opposition he faces in most international games means he's hardly tested in most matches; I could look good in those games 😂🤣😂.
  • I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one alderz 👍. Personally I think the standard of opposition he faces in most international games means he's hardly tested in most matches; I could look good in those games 😂🤣😂.

It’s nice that we can disagree and nobody has to kick off or call anyone else’s opinions stupid 😊
  • The most interesting one for me out of those will be Cornet. He's only had a couple of minutes this season, and only 1 start since he was out injured (in a much changed 11 against Brentford between the 2 semi-finals against AZ), so I'm interested to see both if he's considered fit enough to start and how well he plays.

Cornet has started (it's half-time atm) which is good as it suggests he's fit to play and he's getting some game time ahead of the first EL match on 21st September which you'd think he should have a chance of playing in.

• edited September 2023
    Morocco v Liberia postponed

Cornet in the starting line up for Ivory Coast, 1-0 up at half time

DM/CM Ibrahim Sangare scored, signed by Forest for £30m from PSV on deadline day.

Assist by Sebastian Haller. Whatever happened to him?

And back to work I go. Have fun, folks
  • edited September 2023

Cornet has started (it's half-time atm) which is good as it suggests he's fit to play and he's getting some game time ahead of the first EL match on 21st September which you'd think he should have a chance of playing in.

Cornet played 69 minutes so a fairly decent run-out; hopefully he'll come out of it OK 🤞🤞🤞.

• alderz said:

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one alderz 👍. Personally I think the standard of opposition he faces in most international games means he's hardly tested in most matches; I could look good in those games 😂🤣😂.

It’s nice that we can disagree and nobody has to kick off or call anyone else’s opinions stupid 😊
    I’m guessing that comment was aimed at me?
    Look,I’ve been admonished for a recent post( a bit OTT If I’m honest) but in my defence I’ve never “kicked off” or called anybody “stupid”.

Ta.

• Slacker said:

alderz said:

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one alderz 👍. Personally I think the standard of opposition he faces in most international games means he's hardly tested in most matches; I could look good in those games 😂🤣😂.

Look,I’ve been admonished for a recent post( a bit OTT If I’m honest) but in my defence I’ve never “kicked off” or called anybody “stupid”.

Ta.

Not aimed at anyone, but if you think it’s aimed at you then idk what to tell you
  • I'm not paranoid, but I know for certain that every time there is a scrum they're talking about me in there.
  • Yeah, I heard they were talking about you too Bubbles, sorry ;)
  • Even if Hnederson was still in the Prem I still dont undetstand why he's in the squad let alone the team. He's always been bang average and now he's not even that. If I was JWP I'd be irritated. But if he carries on the way he's started for us (no reason to think he won't) then I think things will sort themselves out
  • Southgate has turned into exactly the sort of manager he said he wouldn't; he picks his favourites rather than selecting on form.
  • alderz said:

Slacker said:

alderz said:

Ta.

Not aimed at anyone, but if you think it’s aimed at you then idk what to tell you
    Righto.

• Mavropanos scores for Greece in their qualifier against Gibraltar. ⚒
  • Bravo! as they say in Greece. Amongst other things ...
  • And again. 2 goals for Dinos. 👏👏
  • Alvarez played 90 mins against Australia, 2-2, looks like he played as a CB rather than in midfield
  • edited September 2023
    UPDATE to 11/09

Soucek+ Coufal, travelled to Prague, both played 90 mins. Then to Budapest, Soucek played 90. Coufal wasn't in the matchday squad. (Don't know why.)

Areola, travelled to Paris. Didn't play.

Dinos Mavropanos, don't know if he travelled because he was suspended for the Netherlands game. But was with the squad in Athens, so I guess he did. Played 90 there.

Kudus, travelled to Ghana; played 90 mins

Benrahma, travelled to NE Algeria, played 20ish minutes.

Alvarez, travelled to USA (Dallas). Played 90 v Australia. Next -> Atlanta ,Georgia.

Aguerd: Travelled to Morocco (Agadir). Fixture cancelled

Cornet: travelled to Ivory Coast; played 69 mins. Next -> Mali

Antonio: travelled to Kingston; wasn't in the matchday squad.

• Heard Coufal picked up a knock sorry can't remember the sauce or how bad it is ,Only saw it once Just hope its not to bad
  • steve said:

Heard Coufal picked up a knock sorry can't remember the sauce or how bad it is ,Only saw it once Just hope its not to bad

Czech manager Jaroslav Silhavy said Coufal was "slightly injured".

Kehrer was on the bench for Germany's loss against Japan. Let's hope caretaker manager Rudi Voller gives him some minutes against France tonight as he could be starting on Saturday
  • edited September 2023
    Re Maguire:

I don't get why people say he never lets England down, imo it's just not true. Most of the games England play are against vastly inferior teams, so you'd hardly expect the defence to be under much pressure, but against better teams he's definitely suspect.

He had a shocker against Germany in the 3-3 draw just before the World Cup (gave away a penalty and gave away possession for another goal so directly involved in 2 of their goals) and he was very poor for the Italy goal earlier this year (gave the ball away with a pass, then dived in to try and recover it, missed, and was miles out of position as Italy scored).

I honestly don't think he plays well for England, it's just that, because the standard of the opposition is usually so poor, there's fewer chances for him to make a mistake. I'm so glad he wasn't prepared to compromise in his payoff dispute with Man Utd as he woulda been dreadful business at the £30m we were widely reported as happy to pay.

Even against Scotland he manages an own goal.

• The gift that keeps giving =)
  • Thank God Man U and Harry Maguire could not settle their dispute so we didn't get lumped with him