September 2023 Internationals

edited September 2023 in Men's Internationals
This discussion was created from comments split from: Summer Transfer Window 2023.

Comments

• Not sure where we are with the Maguire rumors etc, but I was surprised to see him called up for the England squad.

Wow just wow 😮
  • Not surprised in anything Southgate does =)
  • Southgate is picking a player who can't get into his club side and has no outlet to play football aside the national team and who cannot be watched by Southgate himself to appraise his form. I can understand it for this round but it's not sustainable, which is why Maguire needs to leave United.
  • I don’t have a problem with him being in the squad for now. He’s always been good for England, and I suspect that if Stones was available Maguire wouldn’t be in the squad anyway.
  • alderz said:

I don’t have a problem with him being in the squad for now. He’s always been good for England, and I suspect that if Stones was available Maguire wouldn’t be in the squad anyway.

He hasn't though, he was dreadful in the Nations League game with Germany before the World Cup (conceded a penalty for the first goal and gave away possession for the second goal), he gave away possession and then lunged in and so was out of position for the Italy goal in March, and he was poor for Iran's first goal at the World Cup.

He's an accident waiting to happen, even for England, and obviously he's not getting any better when he's not getting any game time. Southgate bottled this, he shoulda left him out and forced him to make a decision as to whether he wants to keep playing for England; if he does, then he has to move.

• Thought Bowen might have got the nod tbh.
  • alderz said:

I don’t have a problem with him being in the squad for now. He’s always been good for England, and I suspect that if Stones was available Maguire wouldn’t be in the squad anyway.

He hasn't though, he was dreadful in the Nations League game with Germany before the World Cup (conceded a penalty for the first goal and gave away possession for the second goal), he gave away possession and then lunged in and so was out of position for the Italy goal in March, and he was poor for Iran's first goal at the World Cup.

He's an accident waiting to happen, even for England, and obviously he's not getting any better when he's not getting any game time. Southgate bottled this, he shoulda left him out and forced him to make a decision as to whether he wants to keep playing for England; if he does, then he has to move.

I don’t agree, but fair enough
  • Raheem Sterling should have been included. Almost unplayable at the moment.
  • Surprise Surprise, no Ward-Prowse but Phillips, who I can't remember actually kicking a ball since forever and Maguire who can't get in a team with half their defence missing.

IMO Southgate is so predictable, he's past his sell by date for me with regards to the England set up, should have gone on to other things, like a championship side perhaps......

• In case people haven't seen it, this article has a list of everyone called up for internationals in this break.

UEFA
    Czechia - Vladimir Coufal & Tomas Soucek (vs Albania & Hungary)
    France - Alphonse Areola (vs Ireland & Germany)
    Greece - Konstantinos Mavropanos (vs Netherlands & Gibraltar)

CAF
    Ghana - Mohammed Kudus (vs Central African Republic & Liberia)
    Algeria - Said Benrahma (vs Tanzania & Senegal)
    Morocco - Nayef Aguerd (vs Liberia & Burkina Faso)
    Ivory Coast - Maxwell Cornet (vs Lesotho & Mali)

CONCACAF
    Jamaica - Michail Antonio (vs Honduras & Haiti)
    Mexico - Edson Alvarez (vs Australia & Uzbekistan (both in USA))

The for youth players:
    Northern Ireland U21s - Michael Forbes, Patrick Kelly & Callum Marshal
    Hungary U21s - Krisztian Hegyi
    England U18s - Finn Herrick
    Ireland U19s - Sean Moore

https://www.whufc.com/news/west-ham-united-september-internationals-all-you-need-know
  • The most interesting one for me out of those will be Cornet. He's only had a couple of minutes this season, and only 1 start since he was out injured (in a much changed 11 against Brentford between the 2 semi-finals against AZ), so I'm interested to see both if he's considered fit enough to start and how well he plays.
  • Grealish and Alexander-Arnold withdrawn from the England squad. Sterling might get a call up after all - or Bowen.

Sadly it doesn't look like Yarmolenko will be in the Ukraine squad, missed Dinamo Kyiv's last four games with a knee injury
  • BBC reporting says there'll be no more call-ups.
  • To be fair, getting in Englands attacking mids squad isnt easy

Maddison is playing well and had been knocking on the door for ages
    Saka is probably the first on sheet after Kane
    Foden is capable of playing anywhere and I dont think we have another like him, Bellingham in terms of box to box nobody better.
    Rashford is too good to be displaced.

Eze just called up and to be fair he's been pretty hot since 2/3 through lst season. He's got that baller skill, eye for goal and vision.

Sterling can play either left or right but is he going to get past Saka and Rashford? Only as a sub IMO

• As for Maguire, Southgate will still pick him after he's retired (either one of them retiring wont affect it ;) )
  • I'm unable to watch any football this week. Thank goodness I'm missing Internationals and not the Mighty West Ham 😉
  • alderz said:

In case people haven't seen it, this article has a list of everyone called up for internationals in this break.

UEFA
    Czechia - Vladimir Coufal & Tomas Soucek (vs Albania & Hungary)
    France - Alphonse Areola (vs Ireland & Germany)
    Greece - Konstantinos Mavropanos (vs Netherlands & Gibraltar)

CAF
    Ghana - Mohammed Kudus (vs Central African Republic & Liberia)
    Algeria - Said Benrahma (vs Tanzania & Senegal)
    Morocco - Nayef Aguerd (vs Liberia & Burkina Faso)
    Ivory Coast - Maxwell Cornet (vs Lesotho & Mali)

CONCACAF
    Jamaica - Michail Antonio (vs Honduras & Haiti)
    Mexico - Edson Alvarez (vs Australia & Uzbekistan (both in USA))

https://www.whufc.com/news/west-ham-united-september-internationals-all-you-need-know

I thought it would be (vaguely) interesting to see what impact the International Break has on our senior players. So I made a note of where they travelled to and how much they played (and any injuries - none yet!). I'll update as more matches are played.

Soucek+ Coufal, travelled to Prague, both played 90 mins.
    Areola, travelled to Paris. Didn't play.
    Dinos Mavropanos, don't know if he travelled because he was suspended for the Netherlands game.

Kudus, travelled to Ghana; played 90 mins
    Benrahma, travelled to NE Algeria, played 20ish minutes.
  • Funny that it’s referred to as “ The international break”.
    Not exactly putting there feet up for a week are they?
  • Slacker said:

Funny that it’s referred to as “ The international break”.

Different sort of break though innit.
  • Is it? Dunno really, they’re doing loads of air miles and playing a couple of games so hardly any kind of break is it?
  • edited September 2023
    It’s one qualifier against Ukraine and a friendly against Scotland. Not really over doing it, are they.
    How about they play the women? Lions would probably be tougher opponent.
  • Slacker said:

Not really, it's the fact that everyone except international players gets a break from competitive football.
  • It’s one qualifier against Ukraine and a friendly against Scotland. Not really over doing it, are they.

Er, have you ever thought there are other international players across our club and league?
  • Slacker said:

Not really, it's the fact that everyone except international players gets a break from competitive football.
    See above.

• Slacker said:

Is it? Dunno really, they’re doing loads of air miles and playing a couple of games so hardly any kind of break is it?

Sorry I wasn’t clear. I meant that break had multiple definitions, and this is clearly referring to a break in the Premier League schedule, rather than a break as in a rest for anyone.
  • Slacker said:

It’s one qualifier against Ukraine and a friendly against Scotland. Not really over doing it, are they.

Er, have you ever thought there are other international players across our club and league?
    What! There’s foreigners in the country?
  • Coufal and Soucek went a full 90 mins against Albania on Thursday 1-1, Soucek got the assist. Noticed that Coufal takes corners for Czechia

Benrahma came on for the last 20 minutes against Tanzania, 0-0.

Areola on the bench for France against Ireland, Mavropanos and Antonio not selected

Morocco and Ivory Coast play today, Mexico play tomorrow

Kudus scored for Ghana in 2-1 win over Central African Republic

What a dull and anonymous name. When it was a French colony it was called Ubangi-Shari but while other countries adopted names like Ghana (was Gold Coast) and Malawi (Nyasaland) when they gained independence the best this lot could come up with was "Central African Republic"
  • There are only 2 League 1 games today due to international call ups.
  • IronHerb said:

There are only 2 League 1 games today due to international call ups.

That’s so mad. The depth of the English league system is ridiculous.
  • There’s always the rugby……💤💤💤💤💤