Penultimate pre-season game: Rennes (A) - Saturday 29th July 1700hrs

I thought I'd give this game it's own thread as I suspect we'll see the majority of the first team involved now that everyone (bar Antonio and Johnson) are back in training.

I would imagine Moyes will use his preferred line up and formation for this one and Leverkusen on the 5th August, so it'll be interesting to see what he goes with. He's experimented with 3-5-2 in the earlier games but I think we'll probably see a return to 4-3-3.

I'm expecting:

Areola
Coufal Zouma Aguerd Emerson
Downes Paqueta Fornals
Bowen Scamacca Benrahma

Most won't get the full 90, so it'll be good to see Mubama and Potts get some more time against better opposition to see how close they are to the first team picture.

Also interesting to see if Cresswell gets any minutes given his links to a move away.

Comments

• Do u think Areola will be number one this season then?
    Also I think Scam won’t be involved
  • Can't see Soucek not being involved tbh, Moyes will definitely start him ahead of Downes imo.
  • Without Rice, I think Downes has to start. We need to see him play the DM role in pre-season, as long as we don't have another signed. I don't think Soucek can do that role with Fornals and Paqueta.
  • Is it a case of who we think is most likely to start or who we think is best? If it’s the latter, I’d play a midfield trio of Downes, Paqueta and Fornals based on our current options.
  • Ravel49 said:

Do u think Areola will be number one this season then?
    Also I think Scam won’t be involved

Areola has only played one pre-season game, so I think he'll start on Saturday.

Fabianksi has been really good in the earlier games, so as it stands I think Fab will play against Leverkusen and will start the PL season as No1.

I can't see any reason for Scamacca not playing, unless he's on the way out.
  • And the winner of the ‘grafties’ for most likely to say loss…. Is….

My broski Ham 😎
  • edited July 2023
    I’d go:

Areola
    Coufal - Zouma - Aguerd - Emerson
    Downes - Potts
    Bowen - Paqueta - Benrahma
    Mubama

Fabianski, Kehrer, Ogbonna, Cresswell, Soucek, Fornals, Chesters, Cornet, Ings, Scamacca

No Johnson or Antonio involved.

Cornet may get some minutes over Mubama and Downes may play over Potts. Scamacca has been out in Italy this week it seems so not sure how his preparation is going.
  • Scamacca was in the training pics posted yesterday on the club website.
  • I can't see Soucek not starting, personally. I also think he'll end up being club captain if Cresswell leaves. I think it'll be Downes, Soucek & Paqueta in the middle.
  • Lukerz said:

I’d go:

Areola
    Downes - Potts
    Mubama

Fabianski, Kehrer, Ogbonna, Cresswell, Soucek, Fornals, Chesters, Cornet, Ings, Scamacca

Cornet may get some minutes over Mubama and Downes may play over Potts. Scamacca has been out in Italy this week it seems so not sure how his preparation is going.

So our 2 holding midfield players are Downes and Downes 🤔🤔🤔?

• As in Soucek comes in with Downes 😂
  • Lukerz said:

I’d go:

Areola
    Downes - Potts
    Mubama

So our 2 holding midfield players are Downes and Downes 🤔🤔🤔?

Lukerz said:

As in Soucek comes in with Downes 😂

Doubling Downes on that error, are we?
  • Rennes have a 23yo Cameroonian CB called Christopher Wooh

Hope the Rennes fans go "Woooooooooooo" every time he touches the ball
  • Is he related to Wiggly Wooh?
  • Is he another of George Weah's cousins?
  • I have a worm at the bottom of my garden called that.

We should sign him, just for the song possibilities
  • So if the rumours are true that Cresswell hasn't trained all week and hasn't travelled to France, who is our back up left-back for this one (and maybe Leverkusen)? I'm assuming Scarles?
  • I’d assume Scarles too
  • Cresswell stuff moved off the match thread, to its own 'gossip/conspiracy theory/rumour/speculation/drawing conclusions based on no real evidence' thread.
    (Sorry, couldn't merge into existing main transfer rumour thread.)
  • edited July 2023
    Fabianski
    Bowen - Soucek - Paqueta - Benrahma
    Cornet
    Mubama

With Potts gone, altered line-up.
  • I think we'll line up fairly close to what I'm expecting the line up for the first PL game. The only real debate,(apart from who is our PL keeper out of Fabianski and Areola) with the current squad, is whether we go with Downes or Fornals imo:

Fabianski/Areola
    Coufal-Zouma-Aguerd-Emerson
    Soucek-Downes
    Bowen-Paqueta-Benrahma
    Scamacca

or

Fabianski/Areola
    Coufal-Zouma-Aguerd-Emerson
    Soucek
    Bowen-Paqueta-Fornals-Benrahma
    Scamacca
  • edited July 2023
    Areola
    Coufal - Zouma - Aguerd (c) - Emerson
    Soucek - Downes - Paqueta
    Fornals - Ings - Benrahma

Fabianski, Ogbonna, Kehrer, Coventry, Bowen, Cornet, Mubama, Scamacca

Is the side, no Cresswell. Johnson & Antonio still not involved.
  • Still a decent squad with potential & if we can add 3/4 additions…
  • Ings instead of scamacca ,why
  • edited July 2023
    I’m happy with 11 but would have gone with Mubama over Ings, we know what Ings offers
  • steve said:

Ings instead of scamacca ,why

Rumour is we've accepted a loan + obligation offer from Roma.

Guess we'll find out soon.
  • edited July 2023
    steve said:

Ings instead of scamacca ,why

The guy who was very reliable with ITK info last summer over on KUMB is saying that it's nailed on that Scamacca is leaving this summer, likely initially on a loan.
  • Surely he wouldn’t even be on the bench if that was the case? Aguerd as captain today is interesting
  • It’s against his old side so I guess that’s the reason.