Thursday - The fixtures for next season are out.

Will we start off once more against our fellow European champions Man City, or perhaps a slightly easier one.

Whatever may come

COYI

Comments

• It’s a bit like Boxing Day football, it’s become traditional that we play Man City on opening day innit?
  • I think in a break from the norm, I think it'll be Man Utd away this time.
  • Looking forward to the ‘leaked’ fixtures list to come out

Which is NEVER correct
  • Expat, Slightly easier you say that will be Liverpool away & we all know how that ends.
  • Going for Arsenal away, could it be a Declan reunion in his first EPL game for that “other London” team….
  • I would like us to not have any promoted teams first home game of the season, and I would also like us to avoid the biggest boys for the first couple of games. That’s all I want!
  • First game has got to be Luton away. Loss. 😚
  • alderz said:

I would like us to not have any promoted teams first home game of the season, and I would also like us to avoid the biggest boys for the first couple of games. That’s all I want!

Fulham at home would be lovely. We're to them what Brighton are to us.
  • Literally ANYONE! Bring ‘em on, we will feel indestructible I tells ya!⚒⚒⚒
  • Stardom's gone to his head 😂
  • One of the so called big boys will be fine Before they get into the swing .If not Spurs I guess
  • First match opponents since we were promoted (where they finished)

Man City H L (1st)
    Newcastle A W (11th)
    Newcastle H L (12th)
    Man City H L (2nd)
    Liverpool A L (2nd)
    Man U A L (2nd)
    Chelsea A L (1st)
    Arsenal A W (2nd)
    Spurs H L (5th)
    Cardiff H W (20th)
    Villa H W (15th)

Anyone that hasn't qualified for Europe would be nice,,,
  • OCS is delighted 🎉
  • I’m predicting Luton Liverpool for what it’s worth
  • The Sun has a supercomputer? Who’d have guessed that?
  • They should by st it fixed
  • I did enjoy our 2-0 win away at Arsenal. If I remember Reece Oxford had a stormer keeping Ozil firmly in his pocket.
  • edited June 2023

I did enjoy our 2-0 win away at Arsenal. If I remember Reece Oxford had a stormer keeping Ozil firmly in his pocket.

That was Bilic's first game as manager, wasn't it? I watched it in a pub in Leeds 😂🤣😂. It's a shame that we never got to see his potential fulfilled at the club; he's almost the exact same age as Rice (only a few weeks in it I think), he got his break much earlier, yet look at how their careers have progressed. Didn't realise he missed most of this season through injury; he only played 3 times this season, and 2 of those were short, substitute appearances and he was subbed off in the only match he started.
  • edited June 2023
    Yes, shame we couldn't keep Oxford.

That game was the start of a great lttle era under Bilic.

Payet and Lanzini also played.
  • edited June 2023

That was Bilic's first game as manager, wasn't it? I watched it in a pub in Leeds 😂🤣😂. It's a shame that we never got to see his potential fulfilled at the club; he's almost the exact same age as Rice (only a few weeks in it I think), he got his break much earlier, yet look at how their careers have progressed. Didn't realise he missed most of this season through injury; he only played 3 times this season, and 2 of those were short, substitute appearances and he was subbed off in the only match he started.

I don't think he was Injured, rather he was swapping between the first team and the kids

2015/16 Oxford made 12 appearances for the senior side with 6 starts although three of those were in the Europa League qualifiers and he was an unused substitute 19 times

As Exeter mentions he started the first game of the season against Arsenal and had Ozril in his pocket. He started the next game against Leicester and was subbed off at half time when we we 2-0 down. His next start wasn't until March against Everton and he was subbed off at half time when we were 1-0 down.

He also had 11 starts for the U21s where he was captain

In his book Noble says that after the Arsenal game...
    everyone on the outside expected him to kick on and hit those levels every week,

Yet Reece was only a kid.. The pressure on him was intense, reminding me of what I went through when I first broke into the team, and it was too much too soon. Suddenly everyone wanted a piece of Reece - agents, rival teams, hangers-on - and he struggled to handle it. His form dipped, he fell out of the first team and he left a couple of years later.

The spotlight shone on Reece too brightly. Everyone got carried away"
    Boleyn Boy is really worth a read, cannot recommend it highly enough.

Which reminds me I must go down to Newham Books and pick up a copy of Julian's new book, Hammer Time
  • ASLEF, Got my signed copy of Julian Dicks book last week. =)
  • I don't think he was Injured, rather he was swapping between the first team and the kids

I just went by this on TransferMarket tbh

• Apologies, when you said "this season" I thought you meant 2015/16 rather than 2022/23
  • It's strange to look at how differently Oxford and Rice's careers have gone given they're around the same age and it was Oxford who looked like the star at first but he does seem to be establishing himself. He's had a decent amount of games in the Bundesliga over the past season and at CB, which isn't a position you see lots of teenagers nailing down.

I always wonder if that Arsenal game was a bit of a curse and whether with some patience and a couple more years to develop he wouldn't have had that urge to go and play first team football. It seemed like we gave him his break and then realised he wasn't quite ready for the premier league.

Imagine if Oxford had developed into the player we thought he was and we had both him and Rice playing alongside each other...
  • Again from Noble's biography he mentions several times that he was impressed with Rice's levels of confidence, determination and resilience for someone so young

Sadly Oxford didn't have that exceptional level of mental and emotional strength but after having so much expectation pilled on him by the media, fans, etc. he just needed to get away from West Ham and start again.

• And so the leaks begin.
  • Luton Liverpool u say 🤔
  • @Ravel, Can Luton play at home first as I heard that the ground improvements wouldn't be finished in time for the start of the season? For those of us who have been there we would say it should take years to improve Kenilworth Road. =)
  • Oh yes that rings a bell
    Wasn’t it 3 matches away first 🤔