Other matches Sat 26th, Sun 27th and Mon 28th May

13»

Comments

• That’s what it used to be
  • Dodger58 said:

I'd prefer the play-off to be between the 3rd placed side in the lower League and 3rd from bottom of the higher league.

I think that's how the Bundesliga does it.
  • Similar format in France I believe.
  • When it was done that way over here it was almost always the top division side which won which was why it was changed.
  • Dodger58 said:

I'd prefer the play-off to be between the 3rd placed side in the lower League and 3rd from bottom of the higher league.

But if they did that then the championship season would be done for 80% of the teams really early. Personally, I love the playoffs. I think they should introduce playoffs for 4th - 7th in the Premier League for the European places.
  • edited May 2023

When it was done that way over here it was almost always the top division side which won which was why it was changed.

Unless you go back to 1898 that format has only been used in England when the First Division was being reduced from 22 to 20 teams in !988/87 and 1987/88

In 1987 Charlton retained their place in the 1st Division through the playoffs but Sunderland were relegated from 2nd Division and Bolton from the 3rd Division

In 1988 Chelsea, Sheffield Utd and Rotherham were all relegated by losing in playoffs

After that it was automatic relegation for the bottom three with automatic promotion for the top two and playoffs for 3rd to 6th
  • edited May 2023
    alderz said:

But if they did that then the championship season would be done for 80% of the teams really early. Personally, I love the playoffs. I think they should introduce playoffs for 4th - 7th in the Premier League for the European places.

Belgium has a weird format, they play 34 games in the season then the four top teams play each other home and away to decide the final placings

At the end of the season Genk were top with 75, Union 2nd also 75 with a lower GD, Antwerp 3rd 72 and Club Brugge 4th 59

The points are halved (rounded up) so Genk and Union started the playoffs on 38, Antwerp 36 and Brugge 30

After five games Antwerp and Union are on 46, Genk 45 and Brugge 33

The next four teams do the same to decide who gets 5th and a place in the Conference League

Gent have romped away with it this year, were in 5th with 56 ahead of Standard Liege on 55, now 8pts clear

I think I'd rather stick with the existing format
  • edited May 2023
    This is American money centric nonsense. It should be bottom 2 down, top 2 up. No playoffs.
  • This is American money centric nonsense. It should be bottom 2 down, top 2 up. No playoffs.

Its very English

When the Second Division was founded in 1892-93 at the end of the season there were "Test Matches" between the bottom three teams of the First Division and the top three teams of the Second Division.

In the first season 2nd Div champions Small Heath were beaten 5-2 in a replay by 1st Div bottom team Newton Heath. 2nd place Sheffield Utd won promotion by beating 15th place Accrington 1-0 while 3rd place Darwen beat 14th place Notts County 3-2

It was reduced to two teams from each Divisions in 1895-96 and replaced by two teams relegated or promoted for 1898-89
  • This is American money centric nonsense. It should be bottom 2 down, top 2 up. No playoffs.

What would be "American money centric nonsense" would be no relegation or promotion, just expansion every now and then with teams moving from city to city as financial incentives dictate
  • Wow Wednesday promoted with the winning goal with 3 seconds to go before pens

Its very English

When the Second Division was founded in 1892-93 at the end of the season there were "Test Matches" between the bottom three teams of the First Division and the top three teams of the Second Division.

In the first season 2nd Div champions Small Heath were beaten 5-2 in a replay by 1st Div bottom team Newton Heath. 2nd place Sheffield Utd won promotion by beating 15th place Accrington 1-0 while 3rd place Darwen beat 14th place Notts County 3-2

It was reduced to two teams from each Divisions in 1895-96 and replaced by two teams relegated or promoted for 1898-89
    Oh, yeah. I remember it well. 😬
  • edited May 2023
    Scored by the Son of Dean Windass

(which sounds like it should be a Half Man Half Biscuit song)
  • You know your getting old ,When your ember seeing Dean windass playing =)
  • Yes, but who remembers seeing Deans dad playing?
  • Just got back in time from having a high 😉 old time in the Welsh mountains with some old friends to watch Sheff. Wed. score the winner in the last second !
    Some very happy Wednesday mates tonight.

Its very English

Oh, yeah. I remember it well. 😬
    See, I knew there was someone older than me on here. 😂
  • Dean Windass scored the winner in a playoff final too.

What would be "American money centric nonsense" would be no relegation or promotion, just expansion every now and then with teams moving from city to city as financial incentives dictate
    Would be a super European competition
  • Well , it hasn't it's own thread, but I would really like Man City to win tonight......
  • edited June 2023
    It doesn't matter if they win tonight, until they win the UECL they will never be massive!
  • Will be great when we play City next season and both fans sing to the opposing fans “champions of Europe, we know what you are”.