New kit 2023/24

Comments

• Slacker said:

Ravel49 said:

Are you suggesting that football shirts are only for the yoof slackerz 🧐

Of course not that would be silly.
    Middle aged blokes with a football shirt stretched over an expansive stomach is always a good look.
    You've seen that photo of me haven't you? Mind I'd take the 'middle age bloke' bit as a compliment. ⚒
  • The bubbles are a bit... amateurish, IMO.

I like that it's a bit more traditional. But those bubbles...

looks like a Pyjama top
    I thought exactly the same thing.....
  • I don't like it tbh, the cut of the sleeves doesn't look right.
  • edited July 2023
    The Chelsea shirt reminds me how nice it would be if clubs went without shirt sponsors, a very nice shirt also from whoever designed theirs. I quite like ours also as I always prefer when we stick to the traditional. The bubbles I can take or leave.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/65877733
  • Agree, I much prefer without the sponsors. Especially with all these betting companies for so many clubs.

It's always possible to get ours without the sponsors though and we often play in Europe without it.
  • The bubbles look rubbish.
  • 🤔

I can understand Paqueta taking 10, but not sure why the others are moving. 17 was free last season so Cornet could have had it then. Unless they're opening up numbers for new signings.

Lingard wore 14 for most of his career...
  • Vlasic must feel even less wanted than before. His No11 shirt was given to Paqueta and now Scamacca.
  • OCS, David Moyes doesn’t want him but others do, we just have to get on with it. 👍
  • Does seem harsh that Vlasic hasn't even been given a squad number when he's not been sold yet.
  • buffy, That will be down to David Moyes won't it?
  • Just seen a clip of us walking out at Borehamwood from a Twitter account (linked over on KUMB). Oh my, the socks just look dreadful and the whole combo with the shorts really isn't great, who on earth approved it?

• Danny Ings looks like he’s aged about 15 years since June
  • I quite like stripy socks and I'm also a fan of claret or blue or white shorts.
  • Can’t quite work out whether the bubbles on the kit are genius or madness.
  • Having seen the highlights, and at the risk of more cartoon images, the socks look like part of a clowns outfit, imo
  • I quite like stripy socks and I'm also a fan of claret or blue or white shorts.

Having seen the highlights, and at the risk of more cartoon images, the socks look like part of a clowns outfit, imo

Probably why I like them
  • Just seen a clip of us walking out at Borehamwood from a Twitter account (linked over on KUMB). Oh my, the socks just look dreadful and the whole combo with the shorts really isn't great, who on earth approved it?

Having watched the highlights, my first impression was spot on; the whole combo doesn't work, it's just not a West Ham strip imo.

• Have we gone with claret shorts to align with the women's team?
  • IronHerb said:

Have we gone with claret shorts to align with the women's team?

That's a good point. I hadn't thought about that.
  • IronHerb said:

I don't know why, they don't seem to align anywhere else.
  • IronHerb said:

It had crossed my mind, but, tbh, the men's team is much bigger and we should wear what's appropriate for West Ham. I've no issues at all with the women's team wearing claret shorts, as I mentioned on a thread a while back, it's something that could and should have been addressed ages ago.

However, West Ham's colours typically include white shorts; I know we've had non-white shorts in the past, but if we're using this to align with the women's team then are we never going to have white shorts again? If this season's kit is anything to go by, that's a horrible thought going forwards. I suppose it doesn't help that I don't think the shirt is great (the cut of the blue arms looks wrong) and the socks, well, I thought we were trying to get away from being a circus.

I've tried to write this many times without it coming across as misogynistic, but realise I'm failing. Our kit can, evidently, be worn with claret shorts, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't look better with white shorts, and that's our history too. The long and the short of it is that primarily I have supported West Ham as a men's team, and I don't feel we should compromise our colours to align with our women's team which should feel free to use claret shorts if they rightly prefer to.

• edited July 2023
    I think all teams -Women, Men, U16's, etc. should use the same strips. Every year for the past I-don't-know-how-many seasons, different versions of the colours have been used. Claret shorts, white shorts, blue shorts. We've seen it all!
    Ultimately, though, it doesn't matter. The club will sell 90% of stock over the course of the year, and next year, there'll be a new strip that will split opinions. If you remember BBC Newsround being hosted by John Craven, then you'll remember a time when football clubs didn't change their strip every year, and it wasn't an event used to produce marketing content. The steady stream of "leaks" of new home, away and third strips is quite tiring.

The bubbles are rubbish, though.
  • If, as seems to be have been suggested here and elsewhere, the men's and women's teams will wear the same kit, then I can't see the men's team having white shorts again, despite tradition.

That said, this season's away kit is supposedly all white, so I assume the women's team will wear the claret shorts with theirs? And if so, why couldn't the men wear white with theirs?
  • And I'm pro the stripy socks. But then my I loved the centenary kit. Rieper and Bilic at the back. Michael Hughes on the wing. Florin Raducioiu in Harvey Nichols.
  • Maybe they wouldn't run out ideas so often if they didn't release a kit every year.
  • alderz said:

I'm only now tempted to buy the 2022/23 shirt, because the price gets massively slashed at the end of the season.

There you go..

• Maybe they wouldn't run out ideas so often if they didn't release a kit every year.

I’m pretty sure Brentford have said this years kit will last them for two seasons to be more eco friendly, and to save fans money.
  • edited July 2023
    Yes. I also thought a couple of other clubs (not PL) are doing that.
    I had a quick google and couldn't find anything else - I'll try again but I did spot these astounding facts

Spurs new shirt is retailing at £115.

As long ago as that 1990s, Labour's Football Task Force tried to get clubs to agree that a kit would last 2 years. (Fail!)

Forest Green Rovers experimented with more sustainable materials such as bamboo.

Brentford still release a new 3rd kit every year. (Why?)