Other Games 29th April through to 4th May

1235»

Comments

• Old Westhamians ................ Wasn't that made up from mainly ex pupils of Stratford Grammar, or am I thinking of something else

Originally, I believe that yes that is correct, but that was not the case when I was playing for them, I for one, was not an ex pupil
  • I turned out a few times for Old Esthamians ( East Ham Grammar) but it was around the time I discovered women and beer so it was a bit short lived.
  • My time was roughly between 1983 - 89, we could have played against each other
  • Just seen the 'foul' for Liverpool’s penalty.

Completely vindicates Moyes’s comment about penalties being given at Anfield. If you thought Palace's was soft at the weekend, this is probably even worse.
  • edited May 2023

Just seen the 'foul' for Liverpool’s penalty.

Completely vindicates Moyes’s comment about penalties being given at Anfield. If you thought Palace's was soft at the weekend, this is probably even worse.

I've not seen it yet, but obviously it's no surprise.

Edit: seen it, there's contact but it's a complete dive, not sure it's worse than Palace's though.
  • Sorry but imo that’s a disgusting decision.
  • My time was roughly between 1983 - 89, we could have played against each other

Probably not, I’d discovered drugs by then.😉

• I played against Old Easthamians at cricket, probably late 70's and through the 80's.
  • IronHerb said:

I played against Old Easthamians at cricket, probably late 70's and through the 80's.

Do you ever get bamboozled by a dashing young(ish) right arm spin bowler?

Figures: One match, eight overs,68 runs, 0 wickets.

• Slacker said:

IronHerb said:

I played against Old Easthamians at cricket, probably late 70's and through the 80's.

Do you ever get bamboozled by a dashing young(ish) right arm spin bowler?

Figures: One match, eight overs,68 runs, 0 wickets.

I did then and still do now, even in retirement. 😬
  • I used to bowl spin and occasionally the ball would slip out of the top of my hand and come down with ice on it. I remember this happening and it came smack down on top of the stumps with the batsman staring into the sky looking for it. The umpire didn’t signal a wide but gave the bloke out. From that day on my team-mates would shout “bowl the ghost ball”. =)
  • I think they now describe that as 'bowling above the batters eyeline.' 😂
  • Mate I’ve seen NASA rockets not get as high as that.
  • Antony shouda seen red for that "challenge", he basically just kicked the guy.
  • buffy, True but he has a Manchester United shirt on!
  • Yeah, the only thing VAR checked was the badge on the shirt.
  • Drama, VAR has called the ref to check for a Brighton penalty in the last seconds of added time.

Pen given.
  • Scored, 1-0 Brighton.

Brighton just poked the bear, wouldn't want to be playing Man Utd next.
  • Lets hope in some way I can't think off that helps us
  • This is one of the problems with VAR. It is so obvious. Why ask the ref to go to the monitor? Just give the penalty and let them get on with it.
  • MIAHammer said:

This is one of the problems with VAR. It is so obvious. Why ask the ref to go to the monitor? Just give the penalty and let them get on with it.

It should either be this, or the ref just goes to the monitor every time he makes a penalty or red card decision. Might as well let the one guy have a look at it from a couple of angles, why does it need to be sorted by someone in Stockley Park? If the ref just takes a second look, he can decide for himself. IMO, if the ref saw the Eze-Aguerd incident again from any other angle he wouldn't have given it.
  • alderz said:

IMO, if the ref saw the Eze-Aguerd incident again from any other angle he wouldn't have given it.

I said a couple of days that reviews of penalties by the ref should be much more commonplace, akin to how things are done in rugby union. Even if the ref sticks with his original decision, at least we'd get more correct decisions. The issue with VAR being afraid to call out the onfield ref still hasn't been addressed; the "clear and obvious" mistake approach basically means the VAR often won't intervene even when everyone knows the ref has got it wrong.

• @alderz, Stuart Attwell should have been asked to look at the penalty at Liverpool last night but he wasn't that doesn't say much for the person on VAR.
  • If they used clear and obvious in cricket, most batters would never be given out. The difference between using var in cricket and rugby vs football is, they look to make the correct decision in the first 2, whilst in football they seem scared to make the correct decision in case the ref has made a mistake.
  • Klopp is a deeply unpleasent

Antony shouda seen red for that "challenge", he basically just kicked the guy.

Yeah, the only thing VAR checked was the badge on the shirt.

VAR is only used if the the ref gives a straight red card, they don't check if yellow cards should be red
    MIAHammer said:

This is one of the problems with VAR. It is so obvious. Why ask the ref to go to the monitor? Just give the penalty and let them get on with it.

Only the ref can award a penalty, VAR can only offer the ref their opinion

• Yeah, the only thing VAR checked was the badge on the shirt.

VAR is only used if the the ref gives a straight red card, they don't check if yellow cards should be red
    This isn’t right. VAR can check if a ref gives a yellow that should be a red. According to the Premier League, anyway.

• Was Anthony booked for the foul or the confrontation with Dunk? Dunk was booked for the confrontation so, presumably, was Anthony which means the foul went uncarded.
  • alderz said:

This isn’t right. VAR can check if a ref gives a yellow that should be a red. According to the Premier League, anyway.

I stand corrected (well, sit)
    IronHerb said:

Was Anthony booked for the foul or the confrontation with Dunk? Dunk was booked for the confrontation so, presumably, was Anthony which means the foul went uncarded.

Everything I've read suggests he was booked for the tackle.
  • So he gets away with the confrontation with Dunk and giving the lino a mouthful.