Other Games 29th April through to 4th May

Comments

• Saved, still 2-1.
  • I kind of dislike Everton
  • But Leicester have clackers.
  • Is it me, or has football just been mad for the past few weeks?
  • Everton score, 2-2, that missed penalty could be huge.
  • Everton at most will only pick up another 6 points but I don't think they will pick up that many. One win and we're safe.
  • Surprised it finished 2-2, on balance it was probably a fair result tbh.
  • So point each, with tough games coming up. Everton now have Brighton away & Man City at home. Leicester have Fulham away & Liverpool home.
  • Leeds also have Man City away & Newcastle home next.
  • You’d be surprised if two of those teams managed to get above us with their remaining games/form.

Forest also have a tough run but have a safety cushion of Southampton next Monday at home, which is a great chance for 3 points.
  • One more win might just be enough! Let's get it on Wednesday and enjoy the rest of the season.

• Realistically Everton at the very best could get to 35 points ? Leicester maybe 36 points ? Forest 37 points ? Leeds 33 points ?

But even then its a big ask for all of those clubs imo to get to those point totals. One win from anywhere in our last 5 see's us safe i think.
  • We can lose to City and United and be no worse than 15th going into our three winnable final matches. I agree with most that just one win from those three will be enough, even perhaps two draws.
  • A terrible penalty by Maddison and I would be very disappointed in him were I a team mate. Such a crucial match is not the time for a paused run up and the keeper did the right thing.

As a keeper whenever you see them pause you should not move as it puts the pressure back on them. They do that to try and see your move but once you stand they are forced to make a decision without a run up to gain power, leaving you a chance still even if moving later and seeing which way they go.

As a player in that position rather than 2-0 up in a less than crucial match they need hit hard to either corner and either low or high. This way you have taken a good penalty that even if stopped it would only be so by a great save.
  • So it looks like our survival plan is finalised, pray that three teams do worse than we do.
  • edited May 2023

So it looks like our survival plan is finalised, pray that three teams do worse than we do.

It's like that every season isn't it?

I'm not saying every season is a relegation scrap, but it's always a case of praying there's 3 worse teams when you end up in a fight for survival.
  • Daily Sequence Quordle 463
    4️⃣6️⃣
    7️⃣9️⃣
    m-w.com/games/quordle
    🟩🟨⬜⬜⬜ ⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
    ⬜⬜🟩🟨⬜ ⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
    🟩⬜🟩🟩🟩 ⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 ⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
    ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ ⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
    ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

⬜⬜🟩⬜⬜ ⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
    ⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜ ⬜⬜⬜🟨🟨
    ⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩 ⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩
    ⬜🟨⬜⬜🟩 ⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩
    🟨⬜🟨🟨⬜ 🟨⬜⬜⬜⬜
    ⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜ ⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 ⬜🟨⬜⬜🟩
    ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ 🟩🟩🟨🟨🟩
    ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
  • Is this a code on how to beat relegation 😉
  • Or a penalty crib sheet?
  • Apparently Pickford had a crib sheet on his drink bottle that said to stay in the middle for a Maddison penalty.
  • edited May 2023
    They showed it in close up after the game. It showed all three potential takers and the percentages for left, middle and right. For Maddison it showed he puts 60% of his kicks down the middle. It’s still a gamble for the keeper but Pickford went with the greater percentage and it paid off.
  • It's not the first time a keeper has had penalty options on his water bottle. It's being made out to be some brilliant innovation.
  • Is this a code on how to beat relegation 😉

It's obvious that we're going to play a solid 5 at the back at all times, with a few variations ahead of that. Simples.
  • Is Quordle the new hip version of Tetris?
  • IronHerb said:

It's not the first time a keeper has had penalty options on his water bottle. It's being made out to be some brilliant innovation.

I think this is the notrm for goalkeepers and their prep. For example, even the fans know that Haryy Kane will mostly hit his pens low to his left. Most of them re hard to save anyway even if you go percentage and guess.
  • MrsGrey said:

Is it me, or has football just been mad for the past few weeks?

Aubameyang starts.

That is all.
  • I spent a number of years between the sticks and I never moved before the ball is struck, I would crouch down to get as much “spring” as possible and focus on the ball.

The instant the ball is struck you know if it goes left or right of you and you simply fling yourself that way.

If well struck it will certainly beat you but I always thought i had a chance - there was one occasion when someone tried the cheeky chip down the middle and I simply stood there and caught it - one of my most treasured memories

Now the pros obviously hit it much harder and are generally more accurate and I am sure the stats make a nonsense of how I played so it might be perception, but I am always amazed at how many pro keepers go before the ball is struck and how many penalties end up being drilled down the middle.

• Just for context, I played for the Old Westhamians at Fairlop in the Old Boys League, back then we had six teams and I mostly plied my trade in the fighting fifths - had a lot of fun but was never under any allusions as regards standard of play.

In fact watching my 11 year old granddaughter play……………….:-)
  • Old Westhamians ................ Wasn't that made up from mainly ex pupils of Stratford Grammar, or am I thinking of something else
  • Fond memories of travelling on the tube from Mile End to Fairlop for sports every Wednesday afternoon while at school.