SOUTHAMPTON (H) SUN 2ND APRIL 2PM

1235»

Comments

• Supporting West Ham should come with a health warning...

The result was the main thing today for me anyway, and we got it...

Like Alderz said, Paqueta seems to be prepared to get stuck in and fair play to him...

There were lot's of positives, and it's great we have moved up a few places, but still a long way to go...

But 3 points is all that mattered to me today, the rest can be addressed when we are safe from the drop IMO....

COYI...
  • Fabianski 8

Kehrer 8
    Zouma 7
    Aguerd 8
    Emerson 8

Rice 8
    Paqueta 7
    Soucek 5

Bowen 6
    Benrahma 5
    Ings 5
  • edited April 2023
    It’s been a funny season. The players clearly want to play for Moyes. They show great passion on occasions.

Not sure what to put down our failures to win more games.
  • DM must have been chewing his nails, not only worrying about a loss, but knowing sir Brendan was a free man 🙄
  • Happy with the result, but is there a way I could unwatch the game 🤐
  • Was that our first goal from a set piece this season.
  • Lukerz said:

At least we’ve upped most of these categories today
  • Thought Fabianski was faultless today....Just saying......
  • I think today showed that Soućek was a one season wonder. So sad to watch his decline.
  • So nice to see Baracks a Hammer back...unless I have missed something.......COYI
  • A win...... and nothing else mattered.

Hopefully we can not let ourselves get dragged down again by picking up more points in the next two matches. Four points from the next two will really see us gather some momentum.

On that performance I can’t see us picking up any points against Newcastle.
  • The whole team were pretty good today, particularly Paqueta, Rice and Fab. We should have scored more. The cheer when Moyes subbed SOUCEK was deafening.
  • MIAHammer said:

A win...... and nothing else mattered.

Hopefully we can not let ourselves get dragged down again by picking up more points in the next two matches. Four points from the next two will really see us gather some momentum.

On that performance I can’t see us picking up any points against Newcastle.
    I think of the games we have left, Newcastle, Arsenal, Liverpool, City and United just represent an opportunity for bonus points. I'm expecting nothing, and I don't think these games will determine whether we stay up or not.

Fulham, Bournemouth, Palace, Brentford, Leeds and Leicester are the games that we must target maximum points from, particularly as there are four six-pointers there.
  • DJ if that’s true then I think it’s appalling. All players have spells where they’re out of form but if our own supporters can’t back them then why should the give their all to help us.
  • DJ if that’s true then I think it’s appalling. All players have spells where they’re out of form but if our own supporters can’t back them then why should the give their all to help us.

The problem with SOUCEK is that he’s been out of form for quite some time now, it’s the usual case of Moyes sticking with “one of his favourites”. He brought on Downes and he should be getting more run outs. SOUCEK was the weakest link today
  • Soucek didn't have a great game, especially in the second half before he was subbed; he was looking half a yard slower than he usually does after half time. Will be interesting to see if we go for Downes or Fornals if he is dropped for Newcastle.
  • Hopefully Downes will get a run now ahead of Soucek. Soucek is amongst one of the worst technical players I've seen at Premier League level . Obviously has strengths to his game, but we've rarely exploited them for the past couple of seasons and his lack of goals is really showing up his limitations on the ball.

Neither Fornals or Lanzini have the physicality that Soucek brings to the team - which we'll need for the run in - so I'd like to see Downes given a chance alongside Rice and Paqueta.
  • Trouble is Downes hardly sets the world alight and only makes 3 yard passes.
  • Trouble is Downes hardly sets the world alight and only makes 3 yard passes.

Still arguably an upgrade if those passes don't go straight out of play.
  • DJ Hammer said:

The whole team were pretty good today, particularly Paqueta, Rice and Fab. We should have scored more. The cheer when Moyes subbed SOUCEK was deafening.

That kind of behaviour from the fans and the groaning after only 10 minutes is exactly why everyone said we did well in lockdown because our fans weren’t there. We have a terrible fan base imo. I’m aware I’m going to get some hate for that opinion on a site for West Ham fans 😂
  • OCS it depends on how far away from the touch line he is when he makes it.
  • DJ Hammer said:

The whole team were pretty good today, particularly Paqueta, Rice and Fab. We should have scored more. The cheer when Moyes subbed SOUCEK was deafening.

That kind of behaviour from the fans and the groaning after only 10 minutes is exactly why everyone said we did well in lockdown because our fans weren’t there. We have a terrible fan base imo. I’m aware I’m going to get some hate for that opinion on a site for West Ham fans 😂
    The groaning from the fans was well justified IMHO, there was hardly a forward pass let alone an attack, everything was Noble-ESQE, either sideways or backwards. We are perfectly within our rights to moan, we pay good money and expect to see the team at least mount an attack. But the second half was much better and as I say we should have scored more

• I think with regard the fan base we do have a fan base that can be unforgiving and a bit quick to get on a player or the teams back but that is the other side of the coin in which our fans get credited with being really passionate and all the stuff said about the amazing support in Europe last season and how we used to turn Upton Park under the lights into a difficult place for teams to come. We are strong on support when good but quick to turn when poor.
  • Of course you can exercise your rights.

But imo, it doesn't help the team.

So if all one wants to do is express ones disappointment that what you are entitled to isn't being delivered, that's fine. But if one wants to make a positive contribution, I think a different approach is needed.

I know this a discussion that crops up regularly, usually when the going gets tough and the boos start.

From all I've read over the ( too many) years, nobody disputes whether you are entitled to boo, groan or whatever. Just, whether it's a good thing to do.
  • I didn’t think Soucek got any unusual cheer when he was subbed off. There was one time when that happened but this week I thought it was just the usual cheer that happens when any sub is made.
  • Ok, I could not watch the game live so had the luxury of looking at the recorded performance without the angst of worrying about the result.

I think we all expected a nervy affair but in all honesty, I was shocked at just how negative and pedestrian we were in the opening 20 minutes, no one seemed willing to be adventurous, Ings was totally isolated and ended up tracking back to get even a sniff, Soucek was truly hopeless and I think we gave a very poor Southampton side some confidence and a feeling that they can get something out of this game.

The goal changed that, we picked up the scent and looked more dangerous resulting in the best move of the match when Bowen hit the woodwork.

I was hopeful and really expected that we would kick on in the second half and dominate but incredibly imo, we did no such thing, there were some decent individual performances such as those from Bowen and Aguerd - who is clearly a great signing, but as a team the performance in the 2nd half was at best underwhelming.

Neither side showed any quality and overall it was pretty poor affair but I think that we did enough to deservedly win the game with the best chances to add to our goal falling to Bowen and Paq, but imo, Southampton also played a big part in us securing the 3 points, they offered up very little once the goal was scored.

Job done, points secured which was obviously the prime objective and I am confident that we just might survive because there are three teams worse than us, but at least for me, there is no doubt that the league is not lying and we fully deserve to be in this relegation dog fight

As an aside, beyond the predictable well established formation and tactics, our subs were curious, with just a few mins to go I get Fornals coming on for Paq, but i struggle to understand why Cresswell come on for Emerson, given that we were fairly abject at that time and under a bit of pressure. Emerson did not look in trouble at all and for me, bringing a player coming into the game cold in such an important position, seemed unnecessarily risky to me .

But what do I know.

Nothing I have seen recently changes my mind, DM needs to see the season out but even if we secure survival, I really want to see a new face in charge next season

• Whilst I would have been worried had we not won, let’s not forget Saints had come off the back of an away win at Chelsea & a point at Man Utd, with the home comeback against Spurs also recent & a home win over Leicester.