Man Utd Vs West Ham - FA Cup 5th round, Weds 1st March 7.45 Kick off.

Comments

• steve, They will feel the same about us losing 3-1 especially as Antonio could have killed them off. 😞
  • One things for sure. Antonio is not the one.
  • Would have got Fulham at home.
  • He's got no pace anymore and just looks lost.
  • Would have got Fulham at home.

We're to Fulham what Brighton are to us.

What a chance to get to Wembley. Wow.
  • Does anyone think we should have sold Antonio in January. Problem I suppose was we didn’t have a replacement signed as Moffi went to Nice.
  • Let's see how we get on in the conference. I'd love to see us not self destruct in something.
  • I guarantee if we would have won we would have got Man City away.
  • As much as I’m disappointed, for me you can’t compare getting through to the quarter finals or PL safety…

Would have been nice, but not meant to be..
    Just gotta hope that this weirdly helps us concentrate on PL…
    Conference league a free hit IMO.
  • steve said:

Everton wolves both behind ,at lest some good news

The league has to be our priority for our long term stability so this is at least good news.
    Southampton fans are probably saying the same thing.
  • edited March 2023
    For 70 minutes, we were good. Antonio cost us the win, simple as that. Most players played well (not sure what Soucek did, though, we definitely need to upgrade on him in the summer).

The last 20 minutes we crumbled. No two ways about it. Aguerd had a poor 20, Areola had a poor 20, we couldn’t keep the ball & they made us pay. It wasn’t a 3-1 game but if you blow chances & then defend like we did, you don’t have much hope.

Getting a bit tired of this side flattering to deceive. We need a good result on Saturday.
  • Jay, We seriously shouldn’t be in a position to be even considering the Conference League as a free hit.
  • Performance was good in the main, we just buckled in the last 20 with individual mistakes.
  • steve said:

Everton wolves both behind ,at lest some good news

Now we just have to beat Brighton to take advantage.
  • Jay, We seriously shouldn’t be in a position to be even considering the Conference League as a free hit.

You right… but it is what it is IMO
  • As much as I’m disappointed, for me you can’t compare getting through to the quarter finals or PL safety…

The quarters themselves, no. But Fulham at home would have given us a great chance of a semi-final. And given the teams left, we could have had a more comfortable than usual route to the final.

Given Moyes record away at the big teams I expected defeat, but it's the manner of it that hurts. Man U weren't great tonight; far from it, in fact. On top of the goal we had two great chances which could have given us a nice little cushion. But we're our own worst enemy at times and it rankles. I was five months old the last time we won a domestic trophy. 2006 still hurts today. I just want to see us win the FA Cup before I die. Tonight turned out to be a good opportunity to get a bit closer to that but we blew it with bad decision making at both ends of the pitch.

Guess I'm just a bit tired of it all really.
  • Luke, you really have it in for Soucek 😉..
    Not sure it was fair to mention him re tonight’s performance, but u entitled to your opinion 👍🏻
  • I wouldn’t have banked on us beating Fulham. They’re miles better than us based on this season.

The quarters themselves, no. But Fulham at home would have given us a great chance of a semi-final. And given the teams left, we could have had a more comfortable than usual route to the final.

Given Moyes record away at the big teams I expected defeat, but it's the manner of it that hurts. Man U weren't great tonight; far from it, in fact. On top of the goal we had two great chances which could have given us a nice little cushion. But we're our own worst enemy at times and it rankles. I was five months old the last time we won a domestic trophy. 2006 still hurts today. I just want to see us win the FA Cup before I die. Tonight turned out to be a good opportunity to get a bit closer to that but we blew it with bad decision making at both ends of the pitch.

Just gonna ignore the Betway cup are you?
  • Hamstew said:

Omg why do we bother haha

43 years and waiting. You watch Man U draw Grimsby now.

I didn't expect anything from tonight, but we got ourselves in a position where hope kicked in and then we go and West Ham it.
    I remember that day well. Can’t believe it was 43 years ago. Unlike some of the younger members I am lucky in being old enough to have seen us win 2 FA Cups but not quite old enough to see us win the first one.
    Not sure I will live long enough to see us do it again. Not even sure if the some of the younger ones will live long enough for that!
  • Hamstew said:

As much as I’m disappointed, for me you can’t compare getting through to the quarter finals or PL safety…

Just gonna ignore the Betway cup are you?

Halcyon days. Take me back.
  • edited March 2023
    My player ratings:
    Areola 5.5
    Johnson 5
    Aguerd 4
    Ogbonna 5.5
    Emerson 7
    Rice 6
    Paqueta 6
    Soucek 6
    Benrahma 6.5
    Antonio 6

Fornals 6
  • I guarantee if we would have won we would have got Man City away.

I was actually typing this when they equalised.
  • Lukerz said:

Getting a bit tired of this side flattering to deceive. We need a good result on Saturday.

Saturday is a free hit imo; anything we get will be a complete bonus.

• My player ratings:
    Areola 5.5
    Johnson 5
    Aguerd 4
    Ogbonna 5.5
    Emerson 7
    Rice 6
    Paqueta 6
    Soucek 6
    Benrahma 6.5
    Antonio 6

Fornals 6

Wow, harsh imo.
  • If we’d held on & won 0-1, people be raving about a very good performance. It was good for most of the game but those last 14 minutes we buckled having been very comfortable before that. We were posing them questions, even with a 1-0 lead. Once the goal went in, we started sitting back more & couldn’t get back into the game. Most of the players had good games until the end, when some mistakes crept in. Antonio scores his second half chance & we likely win that game.
  • edited March 2023
    Lukerz said:

If we’d held on & won 0-1, people be raving about a very good performance. It was good for most of the game but those last 14 minutes we buckled having been very comfortable before that. We were posing them questions, even with a 1-0 lead. Once the goal went in, we started sitting back more & couldn’t get back into the game. Most of the players had good games until the end, when some mistakes crept in. Antonio scores his second half chance & we likely win that game.

*Antonio passes.

The angle, and his track record of 1v1s, was against him scoring. Benrahma and Soucek tearing into space in the box were very much on. At 2-0 I think we'd have held on.

It's not Antonio's fault that Aguerd turned into prime Gary Breen last night, but if he was more clinical in his finishing, and indeed his thinking, we'd have won, IMO.
  • Still gutted, as others had said we had a real chance this year. I thought that was a pretty good performance overall and if we’d won they could’ve had no complaints but you can’t legislate for defensive mistakes and Antonio should’ve buried them.
  • Roy Keane is pretty unlikable for a number of reasons but the comments I've just read from him about us just make him all the more odious!
  • Does anyone think we should have sold Antonio in January. Problem I suppose was we didn’t have a replacement signed as Moffi went to Nice.

I've always loved Antonio but it does feel like times up playing wise. He made comments about offers in the window and if it was a decent 'January' transfer price from a desperate team then in hindsight we should've cashed in. We've been used to only having him as a striker so Scamacca and Ings now seem like an embarrassment of riches