West Ham v Brentford . Friday 30th December 19.45 GMT.

124»

Comments

• edited December 2022
    Fabianski has made errors in our last 3 games. Poor for Leicester's second, poor for Arsenal's second, poor for the first today. He's not the only one & has been a consistent presence but it's starting to feel a little like when Jussi was replaced by Adrian. It gave the side a bit of a lift.

Dawson's head's not here. Time for him to move back north. Coufal needs replacing. Aguerd needs to get in the side. We need another striker in January. I am not sure we stay up with Scamacca & Antonio for the rest of the season.
  • I chose to play board games with friends instead of watching and I lost all three :)
  • According to Moyes we got unlucky from a couple of throw ins
  • Hamstew said:

According to Moyes we got unlucky from a couple of throw ins

We seem to be getting unlucky every game!
  • So being unlucky that’s what he does. 😉
  • alderz said:

A few fans from a couple rows in front of me left at about 20mins, after their first goal. The performances are embarrassing but so is our support. Just made the whole thing even more depressing.

I agree, but also I get it. I didn’t bother watching tonight because I have no faith in them to make it worthwhile, and I’m not paying to be there, so if someone wants to leave then fine. I’ve always thought it goes two ways - supporters should sing and support, but they need to be given something to sing about by the players / manager.
    Yeah I get that, but I think sometimes you need to at least try and give them something to feed off. Leaving 20mins into a game or at half time is not doing that. I don't think we were even that bad in the first half.
  • I was there last night and stayed to the end.I always do....must be mad.
    You can look at the stats and see we had more possession and more shots but stats don't tell the whole picture.
    Apart from Rice hitting the post and Paqueta going close we did nothing.
    We are so predictable now and clubs have sussed us out.
    Loads of tip tap passing which never comes to anything and when we eventually do get a cross in it's poor.Defence looks slow and Dawson has reverted back to type.
    I have to say i was impressed by Brentford last night.Easily soaked up our pressure and then hit us with the sucker punch and this is from a team that probably cost a lot less than ours.
    I think it's time Mr Moyes got his coat!
  • Perhaps a mod could create a "Moyes - Stay or Go?" thread (or something similar) starting with some of the comments here.

Will do :+1:

Can we keep this one as mainly a discussion of last night's match; stuff about manager's failings, speculation about sacking, and preferred replacements to go on the other one.
  • I think the clamour for my Moyes to go has now got a certain amount of inevitability around it. It’s been building for a while now and I don’t think the board will ignore it.
    Personally I would stick with him and give him the chance to get us out of this mess. I can’t see any obvious candidates on the horizon but I’d imagine feelers are being put out.
    It’s such a shame when you think where we were a year ago, but I s’pose that’s football.
  • I think the ref had a big influence on that result. He refused to consider any foul in or near their penalty area. One was corrected by var but there was a clear penalty turned down about five minutes before they scored. If we'd scored first, the place would have been rocking.
  • Lukerz said:

You have to ask why did we sign Scamacca? He's not exactly in the mould of Antonio. It's almost like another Haller.

You don't want another Antonio though.
  • Lukerz said:

Have we ever played well without Fornals on the pitch?

We probably have on occasion but a lot of supporters have underrated his performances since his arrival.
  • They'll give him a few more matches, all against winnable sides. We will lose those games and then they'll get rid when we have Newcastle, Spurs and Chelsea by which time it will be too late. That's my prediction.
  • I thought, taking aside the result, the first half was as well as we’ve played all season. It’s really easy to analyse. Lots of good stuff, poor defending on two occasions we had to do any defending.

Second half it just fizzled out. The penalty right at the start would’ve changed the game, but it’s the way it’s going that it ends up marginally outside the area. After that we became disjointed by lobbing on Antonio & going 4-4-2. We lost the rhythm of the first half & repeated the passing pattern across the midfield to either Coufal or Benrahma/Cresswell, then passing inside. Any crosses that did come in were poor or blocked. We were ragged on the counter as we changed the shape. After around 70 minutes I think the players lost belief that we’d get back into it.
  • Hamstew said:

They'll give him a few more matches, all against winnable sides. We will lose those games and then they'll get rid when we have Newcastle, Spurs and Chelsea by which time it will be too late. That's my prediction.

Sorry wrong thread
  • I am left with the conflicting feeling that the performance was not that bad, however, whenever we went forward we never looked like scoring, yet when they were attacking, they did.

For along time now, iMO we look far to pedestrian on the ball