The World Cup Squads and Preamble; And it's ... Live!!

Comments

• From BBC:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63956189

"World Cup 2022: Hugo Lloris texted Harry Kane after France beat England"

From the comments.
    Was it “can you do me a favour and put my bins out when you get home”

=) =)
  • Come on Croatia 🇭🇷
  • Messi's penalty is what Kane tried to do.
  • What a goal!
  • IronHerb said:

Players complaining about refs? Wow, what a surprise.

So in the ITV studio Peter Walton explains why it was a penalty and the players in the studio can't comprehend.
    That's also another reason why players should not be allowed anywhere near VAR, because they don't know the laws of the game.
  • Ex players havent got that much to do apart from spend their money. So if they're going to accept more money from TV punditry, then putting some application in to learn some of the trickier parts of the rules (they should auto know most anyway) isnt hard eh?
  • Messi. Wow just wow.👏👏
  • IronHerb said:

IronHerb said:

Players complaining about refs? Wow, what a surprise.

So in the ITV studio Peter Walton explains why it was a penalty and the players in the studio can't comprehend.
    That's also another reason why players should not be allowed anywhere near VAR, because they don't know the laws of the game.
    I think Walton sometimes seems a bit like he's trying to defend the referee but I guess that's why he's there really - to make us understand the decision - and I think he did a good job with that explanation. A defender charges towards an attacker like that and it's usually a foul.
  • I think the point the pundits were making is that he had stopped "charging" and was in a set position to make the save when the attacker then ran into him; it was a fine line and you can see both sides although, imo, it's only in slow motion that it appears the keeper was stationary before the contact. If the keeper had been in position a fraction of a second earlier then it would be much harder to justify the penalty imo, although in real time, as it actually happened, I'd be very disappointed if it hadn't been awarded to us.
  • I didn't watch the match yesterday, but the situation Buffy describes above is one of my pet hates. If the attacker turns and runs straight into a defender a fouls is nearly always give, but why? If the defender moves to block I understand, but it happens regularly where the defender does not alter their position to block, the attacker runs into them, falls over and 'wins' a free kick.
  • Aguerd starts
  • So according to the Moroccan fan Ali Hejira on BBC just now, "Morocco are representing not only Africa and the Arab world but also a whole religion."
    First time I've ever heard religion as motivation.
  • For God, Harry and St George?
  • Danny Murphy says Hernandez waits for the ball to drop, when he actually hit it at about 6 feet high.
    =) =)
  • edited December 2022
    IronHerb said:

For God, Harry and St George?

did Shakespeare watch football then?
  • I wonder how much damage Aguerd did to his injury in trying to play in this match? I'm glad Morocco beat Portugal in the QF, but will be gutted if it means a lengthy lay-off for Aguerd now because of his attempts to play this evening's match.
  • If he’s not going to play for us this season, I wouldn’t mind him recruiting Ounahi and Amrabat
  • How has Boufal been booked when he's the one who was fouled?

• First time I've ever heard religion as motivation.

Is it the first time you've heard a fan express an opinion that you don't share?

• Bush jr invaded Afghanistan after God spoke to him.
  • MrsGrey said:

Is it the first time you've heard a fan express an opinion that you don't share?

Non sequitur
  • IronHerb said:

Yawn, did Shakespeare watch football then?
    What's the 'yawn' for, please?

• MrsGrey said:

Non sequitur
    My point being, it's just a fan opinion.
    Nothing more.
  • MrsGrey said:

IronHerb said:

Why are you bothered, I was replying to Herb?
  • MrsGrey said:

IronHerb said:

Why are you bothered, I was replying to Herb?
    Curious - all public posts are open to be commented on.

Also, it's open to interpretation - it could been read as a personal insult.
    In which case it's in breach of site standards. And in which case it needs to be modded.

Please explain your comment. It's a polite request.

• If you insist. I thought it was a flippant response to what I posted.
  • Flippancy is allowed ( as if we could have any doubt 😂). Rudeness not.

I'll edit it.
  • Edit away. I should have realised your position by your laugh reaction to Herb's post so of course you have to defend it.
  • Hang on, a spat without me involved?
    How very dare you!😉