Welcome Paquetá

124»

Comments

• I read it was at his lawyers request as the FA had not forwarded any evidence of the crime.
  • That's what is reported on Claret&Hugh
  • I heard that he had a few quid on Ageurd getting two yellows =) =) =)
  • I was thinking to myself that he had better avoid any unnecessary yellows, and then Sunday came along……😳
  • Man City's move to sign Paqueta is off
    Manchester City’s move to sign Lucas Paqueta from West Ham United is now totally off.
    An £80m deal had been agreed in principle last week before West Ham were informed on Wednesday that the player was the subject of an FA investigation into alleged betting breaches.
    There was a very small chance on Friday morning that the transfer could still go ahead but there is now no prospect of that happening.
    Paqueta has four years left on his West Ham contract.
    The player is due to be interviewed by the FA as part of their investigation. He denies any wrongdoing.
  • Good ,perhaps next year they will buy him for 150 million
  • Do we know when we will find out about the alleged links to the betting scandal potentially involving Paqueta? Not sure how long it took for the Toney investigation. But would be a big blow if we lose him and subsequently if this happens around AFCON time we are going to lose a chunk of our midfield.
  • 7-10 months is my guess =)
  • edited September 2023

Do we know when we will find out about the alleged links to the betting scandal potentially involving Paqueta? Not sure how long it took for the Toney investigation. But would be a big blow if we lose him and subsequently if this happens around AFCON time we are going to lose a chunk of our midfield.

The Toney investigation was into something completely different, the two cases aren't really related. One was gambling offenses, the other is basically spot-fixing and so a much more complicated case to build.

The Xhaka case in the game against Leeds is kinda similar, there was an annoucement of an investigation in January 2022 following a match the previous month, with Xhaka eventually cleared (well, they couldn't find enough evidence to prosecute) in May 2023. The other case is that of Bradley Wood, which resulted in a ban being handed out in April 2018 for offences in a match in January 2017.

I doubt very much that anything will happen before the AFCON next year is concluded, and I doubt any ban would be comparable with Toney's; I suspect it will be in terms of years not months if he's found guilty, so kinda all or nothing.