Welcome Paquetá

It's finally official, he's here. Our eighth senior signing of the summer and our new record signing:

https://www.whufc.com/news/west-ham-united-sign-brazil-star-lucas-paqueta-record-fee

Obviously a hugely exciting signing, one that will hopefully give us that little bit of spark that we seem to have been missing and that will quite possibly lift the rest of the squad. I don't say this often, but well done G&S and, I suspect, Danny K.

As suggested, he's nicking Vlasic's no.11

Comments

• Great news.Lets all give him time to settle .And lots of surport
  • edited August 2022
    =) This seems like a statement signing, if there's such a thing. Very excited about this. Well done team and well done owners
  • Serious signing
  • Outstanding signing. Honestly, I'm not sure how we've managed to pull this one off. Scamacca I could understand; Sassuolo to West Ham is a step up, but Paqueta has played for Milan and Lyon and is Brazil's No10.

Someone seems to be selling our project and hats off to whoever it is. Whether it's the Newman effect I don't know, but we seem to be serious this summer. Some talk on other forums that Kretinsky has been more involved this summer, but whatever the reason, no-one can claim that Moyes isn't being backed.

Can't wait to see Paqueta play; he could be a genuine game-changer for us.
  • Big signing. Rounds out the window nicely. Down to the players and Moyes now.
  • Could he be the second coming of Payet?
  • On the surface, a top quality & very exciting signing. Will offer us an option in a 4-3-3 & link play between the midfield & front three.
  • To quote the late, great whispering Ted Lowe... "It's a good one' ;)
  • Decent intro tbf
    At least we know what the delay was now
    Took a while to get him too the roof of the stadium 😅
  • Story says he’s off to Hull to try to get his work permit sorted as there aren’t any appointments available tomorrow in London.
  • He’s signed the contract right?
    Don’t want the experience of Hull putting him off good ol Blighty
  • He could be looking for Bowens potato fields hahaha
  • Story says he’s off to Hull to try to get his work permit sorted as there aren’t any appointments available tomorrow in London.

Brexit, the gift that keeps on giving.
  • I hope he's a Payet and not an Anderson. If he'd been the first signing I would have been delighted, but the eighth?? It's all too much for my tiny mind to process. Moyes ' head must be exploding with all the possible permutations available.
    Anyway, welcome Paqueta!
  • Unreal signing

As someone has pointed out before, this is why it's worth not buying all of your targets in June/July

He is a player who should be playing champions league but no one took the risk, so now he was made available and we have got ourselves what appears on paper one of the most exciting signings this summer

Really looking forward to him playing, we've lacked a bit of guile of a proper playmaker

He seems like he plays like Lanzini but is an upgrade in almost every aspect of his game (apart from potentially long range shooting)

Suspect he will be used as a #10 behind Scamacca/Antonio, or in a 3 man midfield which he does for Lyon (at least this season)
  • edited August 2022

Could he be the second coming of Payet?

I hope he's a Payet and not an Anderson.

Let's hope he's not another Payet! He had one good season then wanted to go home to Marseilles

So where does Moyes play him? AM or CM?

Did we sign Emerson so there would be another player who spoke Portuguese?

Handing him the No.11 shirt is a rather unsubtle message that Vlasic is not wanted at West Ham. I hope it all works out with Torino

• Handing him the No.11 shirt is a rather unsubtle message that Vlasic is not wanted at West Ham. I hope it all works out with Torino

I suspect, if Vlasic stays, Paqueta (if he stays too, obvs) will inherit Lanzini's No10 shirt. Which he may do irrespective of Vlasic's future.

But yeah, I'm hoping Vlasic does well enough to get the permanent move out there. He's a good player, but not a PL player, IMO.

• Vlasic is playing and scoring for Torino.
  • Vlasic has played two and a half matches and scored against newly promoted Cremonese n the last game

Torino have finished in the bottom half of Serie A 8 times in the last 10 seasons and their record signing was £20m for Simone Verdi in 2020 but he's not played so far this season as he's looking to leave

Vlasic is arguably the most valuable player in the Torino squad
  • From the press conference

"Paquetá will be a different player to Jesse Lingard who played No10 for us, and Saïd Benrahma offers something else too"

I think that suggests Moyes sees Paqueta playing behind the striker rather than alongside Rice or Soucek
  • edited February 2023
    There's an article on The Athletic about Paqueta's deeper role in the team, and - as it's subscription only - I thought I'd share some of the things I found interesting..

He has 2 goals and 2 assists so far, in 14 league appearances for us. I think that feels low, but apparently in 20 games for Lyon in 2022, he scored 3. So he's actually performing about as expected in terms of goals.

Moyes says we bought him in expecting 8-10 goals and 8-10 assists this season, so in that sense he's underperforming, though Moyes reckons he's settling in better.

The article mentions how Soucek and Rice regressed as a midfield partnership because they are both box-to-box midfielders, and that leaves us exposed. But it also talks about how Rice is aware he needs to be more disciplined to allow Paqueta to get forward, which sort of implies that Rice doesn't think he needs to be disciplined when playing with Soucek? Idk, I found that part odd.

These are his and Declan's touch maps from the weekend. Though he is "in a two", Paqueta very clearly has the licence to get forward and trouble defenders. I like that he's drifting out to the right a lot, because that will (hopefully) help Bowen out and give him more opportunities to get into the box.

• I saw that and agree with a lot. I think Rice has been better as well. I think even in an attacking sense he's better when he's deep.

I also agree that he's more disciplined. I think he knows Paqueta is better on the ball in more advanced positions, which Soucek isn't, so lets him do that. He probably also doesn't expect Paqueta to be as capable as Soucek so can't leave gaps. It's probably not just about discipline but more clearly defined roles.
  • I would love to see Rice allowed to play behind Antonio or Scamacca before he leaves, just once. I think he is that good that aside from in goal there is not a position you couldn't put him where he would not deliver a great performance. If things got tight with injuries I would be happy enough to see Sucek, Downes or Paquetta occupying DM positions and Rice allowed to properly threaten the opposing goal.
  • So, Paqueta under investigation for betting offences, the suggestion being that it was bets placed in Brazil (not by Paqueta) around yellow cards. This would be more a "spot-fixing" type thing (eg the Pakistan bowlers bowling no-balls) rather the Toney type bets, and is arguably a lot more serious if proven.
  • It just never ends with us does it =)
  • edited August 2023
    We don’t know any info. I suppose the key would be whether Paqueta was aware of any of the bets coming from Brazil. If he wasn’t, there is nothing to worry about. I also wonder, even if he was, how that would be proven/evidenced.
  • edited August 2023
    Lukerz said:

We don’t know any info. I suppose the key would be whether Paqueta was aware of any of the bets coming from Brazil. If he wasn’t, there is nothing to worry about. I also wonder, even if he was, how that would be proven/evidenced.

Unusual betting patterns is the usual thing that sets off these sorts of investigations; if there was an abnormally large amount of money placed on a Paqueta yellow card in certain games that he was booked in, and little money placed in other games, then that is deemed worthy of investigation.
  • I agree, but proving the two are linked is very difficult, without an admission of guilt.
  • There is the potential of a prison sentence if found guilty.