Other matches 13th - 15th August

124Β»

Comments

• So many teams underperforming, including us unfortunately
  • Lukerz said:

Just heard Hamstew sigh

And Baz cry?
    I was too busy to watch the game today but believe it was on at Nunes Pacific time.
  • I'm also sure Klopp was Ferry Cross about the lack of Darwin today for the second time in a week
  • These first two weeks have seen chaos. The centre has not held for some big team s, var has Mike Dean's prints all over it, refs are allowing more physical stuff so the temperamental players and managers are at it, and there have been some brilliant goals. Great entertainment πŸ‘Œ
  • These first two weeks have seen chaos. The centre has not held for some big team s, var has Mike Dean's prints all over it, refs are allowing more physical stuff so the temperamental players and managers are at it, and there have been some brilliant goals. Great entertainment πŸ‘Œ

*Allowing more physical stuff for some teams.

Forgetting the Antonio 'foul' on Sunday, I also saw two instances of him being manhandled in the box and nothing given.

I get the entertainment value, but if things aren't applied consistently across the game and for each team, then it's going to be a long season.

Forgetting the Antonio 'foul' on Sunday, I also saw two instances of him being manhandled in the box and nothing given.
    I don't think they changed the 'taking someone out off the ball' rule.
  • IronHerb said:

These first two weeks have seen chaos. The centre has not held for some big team s, var has Mike Dean's prints all over it, refs are allowing more physical stuff so the temperamental players and managers are at it, and there have been some brilliant goals. Great entertainment πŸ‘Œ

I don't think they changed the 'taking someone out off the ball' rule.
    Looked like they did in the Chelsea Spurs game
  • Two wrongs....
  • IronHerb said:

Two wrongs....

But that's exactly the point being made, isn't it? Very similar incidents, different decisions. I don't think Antonio's was a foul, and I just want consistency. If it is a foul, then fine, but I still want consistency! It's a bit of a joke for two very similar incidents in back to back matches to be handled differently.
  • edited August 2022
    alderz said:

IronHerb said:

Two wrongs....

But that's exactly the point being made, isn't it? Very similar incidents, different decisions. I don't think Antonio's was a foul, and I just want consistency. If it is a foul, then fine, but I still want consistency! It's a bit of a joke for two very similar incidents in back to back matches to be handled differently.
    Exactly this. If Antonio's 'block' was a foul, then so was the hair pull on Cucurella. If refs, on the pitch and at Stockley Park, are going to be useless, they need to be useless for every team. If they're going to pick up on off-the-ball fouls, they need to do it for every team.
  • edited August 2022
    An interesting point would be had the hair pull incident seen a goal scored - so Spurs scored from the corner where he had his hair pulled - would VAR have disallowed it. I think we all know the answer. So the difference, seems to be, if a goal is scored.
  • When the referees first brought in the blocking off at corners and free kicks in the area being clamped down on & penalties being awarded which referee was the one who enforced it the most.......Mike Dean (new Head of VAR). He only stopped once it became apparent that he was the only one doing it properly as his colleagues appeared not too bothered.
  • It's pretty depressing really. I go into every game wondering how the refs will affect things. The best refs are the ones you don't remember.
  • Just seen an interview with Nigel Pearson after Bristol City had won 2-0 last night basically saying he considered retiring last season & has started to think about it again due to how consistently bad the officials are. He said he had received a letter after the Hull match the other week saying they shouldn't have had a penalty given against them and should have had two themselves!
  • OCS hair pulling is not in the laws as an offence apparently. It would only count as ungentlemanly conduct if anything. Another of these missing things not mentioned in the laws such as only the ref can do the toss and only the keeper can handle in the area.
  • OCS hair pulling is not in the laws as an offence apparently. It would only count as ungentlemanly conduct if anything. Another of these missing things not mentioned in the laws such as only the ref can do the toss and only the keeper can handle in the area.

That's incredible πŸ˜„

What about eye gouging? Could Antonio blind the opposition 'keeper at a corner and not be penalised for it?
  • Huth was given a 3 match ban for Leicester a few years ago, for hair pulling.

As we say, about as consistent & a dice.
  • Dermont Gallagher said the other day it’s violent conduct & a red card - Romero got away with it and hopefully karma will catch up with him as he is starting to get a bad reputation.
  • The laws were first drawn up in 1863, back then gentlemen's hair styles were generally short so hair pulling wasn't an issue

However the laws were quite explicit on pulling beards, moustaches and sideburns
  • Straight red for a mutton chop violation back in the day
  • Just seen an interview with Nigel Pearson after Bristol City had won 2-0 last night basically saying he considered retiring last season & has started to think about it again due to how consistently bad the officials are. He said he had received a letter after the Hull match the other week saying they shouldn't have had a penalty given against them and should have had two themselves!

Just seen it now. I think he probably speaks for every single fan out there.
  • Well Mike Dean has been stood down from VAR this week following his handling of Chelsea v Spurs. How that man gets anywhere near football is just astounding.
  • IronHerb said:

Well Mike Dean has been stood down from VAR this week following his handling of Chelsea v Spurs. How that man gets anywhere near football is just astounding.

Have you got a link for this please?
  • Cheers for that πŸ‘
  • We've had this conversation before, the quality of officials has declined because fewer people want to be referees and linesmen due to the abuse they receive at all levels

The Premier League gets the best officials available

Refereeing in the Championship and below is worse!