Other Games 16th & 17th April.

Comments

• Utd substitute on 83 minutes Sideshow Bob
  • I don't think I'll ever understand the point of VAR. Keita goes studs up over the ball onto Lingard's calf and only gets yellow. Isn't that one of things VAR was introduced to do; to bring those challenges to the ref's attention?
  • I don't think I'll ever understand the point of VAR. Keita goes studs up over the ball onto Lingard's calf and only gets yellow. Isn't that one of things VAR was introduced to do; to bring those challenges to the ref's attention?

Var check, club badge, Var check over
  • Feels like it sometimes. Well, most of the time, actually.

I can't stand Liverpool, but they're so good at football.
  • I missed virtually all the game (work commitment) but I can confirm:

Yes, Liverpool are great
    No, they never deserve red cards
    Pleasingly Utd are clueless and rudderless currently
    Mo Salah a welcome return to fantasy points as I brought him back in to captain (because of the above truths haha)
    If City didnt exist, Liverpool would do the quadruple
    I love Mr Klopp. Hes a blinding manager

#fistpump
  • edited April 2022

I don't think I'll ever understand the point of VAR. Keita goes studs up over the ball onto Lingard's calf and only gets yellow. Isn't that one of things VAR was introduced to do; to bring those challenges to the ref's attention?

From the Premier League website
    All red cards awarded in the Premier League will automatically be checked by the Video Assistant Referee (VAR).

The VAR will also check for possible red-card incidents for which the on-field referee has awarded a yellow card or no card at all.

The VAR will look to identify a “clear and obvious error”.

The on-field referee will explain his decision to the VAR and what he has seen.

If the evidence provided to the VAR by the broadcast footage does not accord with what the referee believes he has seen, then the VAR can recommend an overturn.

The final decision will remain with the on-field referee.
    So either VAR didn't think it was a red card or the ref chose to ignore VAR
  • Or it wasn't a clear and obvious error ( my pet hate in the var guidelines).
  • Thanks ASLEF. So given the replays I saw, I believe VAR should have asked Atkinson to at least review it.

With challenges like that, the angle from which the on-field ref sees things will obviously influence their decision, so I don't necessarily blame Atkinson for only showing yellow; it's for VAR to let him see it again to see if he'd change it to red.

And if Lingard had showed the level of gamesmanship that Henderson did a couple of times (did you see his attempts to get Maguire carded in the second half?) by screaming and writhing around, it may have forced the issue. I'm not one to advocate play-acting at all, but you can see why players do it.
  • I seriously can’t believe that Man Utd cannot muster a performance better than that. What do they do all week in training.
  • They are just lazy.
  • Don’t question it, just accept that it happened and hope it continues.
  • Lukerz said:

I seriously can’t believe that Man Utd cannot muster a performance better than that. What do they do all week in training.

What's more shocking is that they're 6th only 3 points off the top 4

Top 4 race has been a bit of a shambles this year
  • WHU, That fact makes it even more disappointing that the elements are conspiring against us to ensure we can't really compete for a place ourselves. :p
  • I really hope that we can make our opportunity in the Europa count as I feel without it we would have had a real chance of Champions League this season. Our record after Euro fixtures is pretty poor and I think its reasonable to suggest we could have had some extra points on the board within those fixtures if playing them fresh.

• I've just got in from work to see the Chelsea v Arsenal game is 2-2. I reckon the second half is going to be a bit boring.
  • Saka 'penalty' how wasnt this decision overturned???
  • Was never a penalty
  • Just seen the incident on MOTD, very poor by Moss, and especially by VAR.

I really dislike the "clear and obvious error" (although this was imo); in this incident, send the ref to the monitor and let him decide. It shouldn't have to be so certain that every time a ref is called to the monitor that the decision is changed; if it's a contentious decision let the ref have another look at it and then decide. If he sticks with his original decision, then fine, but I'd rather a few more were looked at again, especially when the decisions are as poor as many have been this season.
  • Man Utd have had four managers in the nine seasons since SAF retired but none of them have lasted for three full seasons - in Ole's case he was there for half a season as caretaker then two and a half seasons permanent.

This season they've ended up with Rangnick as another caretaker manager who like Ole wasn't able to bring players in during the January transfer window

Maybe all Man Utd need is to find a manager they can stick with for three full seasons
  • I like that theyre struggling and hope it gets worse and takes an age before they are challenging for things again. As a club I dont see anything there to like and I'm happy with that :)
  • Do we have to turn into AFC & CFC "followers" in the next week for one game only hoping they both beat Manchester United or should I just get my coat now for asking such a question?
  • Not sure, is it chilly?
  • Do we have to turn into AFC & CFC "followers" in the next week for one game only hoping they both beat Manchester United or should I just get my coat now for asking such a question?

The enemy of my enemy etc. etc. No need for extra clothing.
  • Why was Stamford Bridge half empty last night? Joke of a club.
  • Cost of living? I saw Darren Bent get some stick for making a similar comment about Man City's attendance recently.

Maybe with ticket prices, travel costs etc. people are having to make tough decisions about where they spend their money.
  • I did think the same as I was always under the impression that Chelsea was very difficult to get tickets for. They don't have the biggest capacity in the world and it wasn't exactly a nothing game.
  • hopefully we have given Burnley confidence and they will now take points and send Everton down :)