Olympique Lyonnais (away) Thursday 14th April 8pm BT Sport 1

Comments

• Get Big Daws knighted. What a warrior!

Do you mean Ballon Dawson? =)

Yes, definitely.
  • Feeling a bit worse for wear .every time i smile my head hurts .Must be how Dawson is feeling .
  • I thought Coufal looked a bit more like his old self last night, too.

He did. Everyone who has had rough points this season stepped up I thought.

Coufal was an attacking threat. Johnson was way more aggressive than other times he’s played on the left. Diop was solid. Fornals was the best he’s been for months.
  • Just watched the highlights and saw Declan Rice running the length of the pitch kissing the badge after his goal, and people think he wants to leave
  • N'dicka sent off for Frankfurt which I presume he misses the first leg. I know nothing about him but he looks to be a first choice centre back and has been ever present in the Europa and pretty much the league.
  • My son who is knowledgeable on European football says he will be a big miss for them.
  • edited April 2022
    Evan Ndicka, 22yo CB, started 36 out of 40 games this season, missed two due to injury. Only CF Rafael Borre and GK Kevin Trapp have started more times this season.

Frankfurt play three at the back so he will be a big miss

He's only been booked four times this season, last night he picked up to two yellows in five minutes during 9 minutes of injury time (ended up being 12 minutes) The first was for time wasting, the second one was for a foul that gave away a penalty
  • Great stadium with the only drawback being the away support and the entire stand behind the goal had to watch through netting, mainly due to the moronic home fans!

Best atmosphere I've ever been in, yes even better than Seville at home. A really loud home support bettered by a very loud away support up in the gods.

Not one weak link, not one. I know it's already been widely noted but I have to add my two pennyworth on Dawson. Absolute monster of a game. The way he smashed that header home, the multiple trade mark blocks, the air supremacy which he afforded us was breathtaking. And all for a couple of million quid. He paid that fee back in spades on last nights performance alone.

But he wasn't alone. Every man Jack of them upped their performance. Antonio, yes that Antonio, played a blinder and a goal to round his performance off wouldn't have gone amiss. Fornals back to his best. His corner for the opening goal just screamed 'put me in the net' and his first time pass to Bowen was perfect. Rice's show of 'badge kissing'as he raced the full length of the field to celebrate in front of us fans was tremendous. As alderz noted, he didn't look like someone ready to leave West Ham. And I could go on through the rest of the team as they all had their moments.

We were kept in for best part of an hour and a half after the game and although it began to get a little annoying it did allow the moment to sink in. But what was really good to see was at varying intervals groups of players came out and across to use to share the moment. Fornals, I think. even lead a couple of rounds of 'West Ham are massive'. Then Moyes came over to the loudest and most rapturous ovation that I've heard for a West Ham, or any other, manager. He loved it and so did we. Absolutely brilliant.

Sorry to be a bit gushing but I think the adrenaline is still pumping.

COYI
  • Great stuff Ironherb. I can only guess how all of you must have been buzzing. Keep bringing us luck mate
  • Thanks Herb for that, And also being there for the club we all love
  • Frankfurt had an estimated 30,000 at Barcelona last night I think Barcelona are investigating
  • Frankfurt had an estimated 30,000 at Barcelona last night I think Barcelona are investigating

Apparently they had 20k in the home end!
  • That sounds about right as we would have got 10,000 tickets, but Barca lost. 🤣
  • Tell you what, it now makes sense why Moyes struggles to find players who match the personalities of the current squad. The bar is set pretty high!
  • The question arises again regard how much we should prioritise the Europa now.

We have certain players we really need in that Semi Final and we saw this week just how easy it is to lose a key player in Zouma. I would maybe play a more or less first eleven against Burnley but rest a good deal of players against Chelsea.

My concerns are that if Zouma is out for a length of time then we simply can't risk Dawson so I would play Johnson alongside Diop.

We paid a lot of Money for Vlasic so I would let him play and rest Bowen, whom I feel is central to our goal threat.

I would also let Yarmalenko, Perkins or Oko-Flex sit in for Antonio.

I would then let Noble and Kral play instead of Rice and Soucek against Chelsea.

I know this would effectively surrender the points against Chelsea but this Europa opportunity is surely to big to risk an injury or even just fatigue to go all out against Chelsea.
  • The question arises again regard how much we should prioritise the Europa now.

We have certain players we really need in that Semi Final and we saw this week just how easy it is to lose a key player in Zouma. I would maybe play a more or less first eleven against Burnley but rest a good deal of players against Chelsea.

My concerns are that if Zouma is out for a length of time then we simply can't risk Dawson so I would play Johnson alongside Diop.

We paid a lot of Money for Vlasic so I would let him play and rest Bowen, whom I feel is central to our goal threat.

I would then let Noble and Kral play instead of Rice and Soucek against Chelsea.

I know this would effectively surrender the points against Chelsea but this Europa opportunity is surely to big to risk an injury or even just fatigue to go all out against Chelsea.

given that we are unlikely to get points anyway, I agree,but feel Moyes will play his strongest team
  • Anybody notice Dec saying to Bowen on the 3rd goal ‘you onside?’ and then he says ‘you sure?’.
  • edited April 2022

The question arises again regard how much we should prioritise the Europa now.

For me the Europa is a fantastic back-up plan. What I would hate to do is lose points in the league, drop to 8th & then go out in the semis or lose the final. Next season, with no Europe, will feel really flat compared to this one.

Full strength.
  • As they say take each game as it comes & see where we end up. Hopefully it will be a great end to the season. 🙏
  • Two weeks is a long time. We don’t want them to lost match sharpness by resting them too much. Though he’s still scoring, I think Bowen’s still working his way back to the full form he had before his injury. Coufal looked off on his return from injury but much better yesterday. Rotate a bit and use the subs but they mostly need to play.
  • I was working yesterday so couldn’t watch the match live. I’ve just watched it in it’s entirety. Great performance by everyone but my MoM is Diop. Great performance from him even though he’s been out of favor recently. He made a few key headers out of defence. He pushed our luck in that first 30 minutes but really took our chances when they came. Can’t say that we’ve done that too many times recently.
    Really love Fornals reactions when we score. You can see the pure joy in his reactions!
  • Just watched the 'Behind the Scenes' and noticed that as soon as the final whistle went we had some pretty big 'lads' come on to the pitch to keep an eye on the players. They also came out with the players during the lock in. Obviously some additional security methinks.

https://www.whufc.com/news/behind-scenes-lyon-0-3-west-ham
  • from West Ham clips alternative commentary. We are 'Kings of Lyon' =)
  • I don't know if it's been mentioned already, but how lucky were we that Toko-Ekambi's shot hit the post inside the first 10 minutes.
    The whole complexion of the game would have been completely different with us chasing the game if it had gone in.
    It was a hugely pivotal moment, as, if Lyon had scored they would have shut up shop and been able to hit us on the break.
    For that reason I'm nominating the goalpost as MoM. =)
  • To be fair, it did stay resolute and strong throughout the whole game...
  • But never touched the ball again. One trick pony if you ask me.

😌
  • All yellow cards are now rescinded so all our players are safe.

From what I can make out Evan Ndicka (CB) was red carded and Krisyijan Jakic (DM) received a third yellow against Barca so I think both will miss the first leg of our semi.
  • IronHerb said:

All yellow cards are now rescinded so all our players are safe.

From what I can make out Evan Ndicka (CB) was red carded and Krisyijan Jakic (DM) received a third yellow against Barca so I think both will miss the first leg of our semi.

They will clearly miss those two in defence as both are first team regulars and Jacik seems to have made his way into the Croatian national side recently although he is only on loan from Zagreb.

Has Zouma been ruled out for a few weeks? I read contradictory reports.

Superb discipline by Rice to go both matches without getting a yellow in such big matches.