Liverpool (a) Saturday 5th March 5:30pm Sky Sports

As it seems most of you think we're going to lose I thought I'd take one for team

On the plus side we beat them in November at home for the first time since we'd moved. Plus they've been held to draws at home by City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Brighton.

A point would be marvellous and not impossible

Comments

• Sevilla is more important so we should rest a couple and play ultra defensive with what's left. We'll lost by at least three regardless.
  • Is Masuaku injured? I'd think a back 5 with him (or a young left back) might work better than Fornals in this one.
  • Im taking my wife and daughter to see Wicked so won't have to sit through this one. Will keep the phone off .
  • edited March 2022

Im taking my wife and daughter to see Wicked so won't have to sit through this one. Will keep the phone off .

Lol yes these are the sort of times I say to the wife "let's go and do something together as a family, about 5:30 ish"
  • I am in Belgium so will be spared this game or gutted when we win
  • Is Masuaku injured? I'd think a back 5 with him (or a young left back) might work better than Fornals in this one.

Masuaku has a "bit of floating bone" in his knee

Last night Moyes said that Cresswell will be "in contention" for Liverpool and that Soucek needed a couple of stitches

Moyes will go with the strongest side he has available, we beat Liverpool in November and we'll have four days before we play Sevilla
  • I'd be shocked if Moyes rested anyone, he goes strong no matter and will as long as there is something to play for

Actually think we could end up doing well here

We're out of form but in this game we can get back to what we do best, counter attacking

Will obviously be hard and were likely to lose but wouldn't surprise me if we don't
  • I thought Antonio looked like he was pacing himself against Saints as he was totally shot against Wolves. I think Moyes should tell him he'll be coming off after an hour against Liverpool so he can go for it.
  • Fabianski
    Diop - Zouma - Cresswell
    Johnson - Soucek - Rice - Lanzini - Fornals
    Bowen - Antonio
  • I think we'll line up something like this...

Allison
    Trent Matip VVD Robbo
    Elliot Fab Tiago
    Mo Mane Dias

Oh sorry, wrong thread!
  • Seriously though, because of Liverpools dominance in possession plus high line, they'll always been vulnerable to a quick counter at home and that's what we've been good at for a couple of years. So I think we'll score. But I also think this game wont define our push for Europe (cough, 3-1)
  • You should get something for that cough Baz .would not want you laid up and unable to post =)
  • With no real depth (to my tissue) I'll probably just try to soldier on Steve ;)
  • Not going to this one as we have the grandkids for a sleepover, which will be more traumatic than a visit to Anfield. 😱

Don't expect much but it's not out of the question. As Baz refers to, we beat their high line last time out so it's not beyond the realms of possibility to do it again. Hopefully Bowen gets out of his goal drought (😀) and we will be up and running.

COYI
  • So Matip is out, not sure if Konate coming in weakens Liverpool defence but Klopp certainly favours Matip when given the choice. I'd say that Matip is also more used to handling Antonio and obviously more used to playing in the Prem
  • edited March 2022
    Klopp press conference

Matip (ill), Thiago (thigh), Firmino (groin)
    Jones and Keita both face late fitness tests

Liverpool playing their back-up midfield

Alisson
    Alexander-Arnold Konate Van Dijk Robertson
    Elliot Henderson Oxlade-Chamberlain
    Salah Mane Diaz
  • IronHerb said:

Not going to this one as we have the grandkids for a sleepover, which will be more traumatic than a visit to Anfield. 😱
    COYI

We're away for the weekend, so if you want to borrow the tin hats and body armour we use for when our grandthugs visit, give me a shout =)
  • edited March 2022
    Well we've got our 8 year old (next week) granddaughter coming and I can only say we wish she could stay more often, she's such a joy - shame on you (you know who I'm talking to) ;)
  • I thought Diop played well for the second match running. Would rest Cresswell for midweek. Apart from that, do what we did when we beat them 3-2, but without conceding any goals. COYI! 😉
  • I think we will spring a surprise today. I can see our formation suiting this game & sitting in & playing on the break. Our football has been good the last two games, we were undone on Wednesday by wasteful decisions & poor defending.
  • Although, didn’t see Declan in any of the training picks/videos. 🤔
  • Only thing about formation is I don’t know if it’s getting the best out of Bowen. Is he playing more centrally now?
  • Only thing about formation is I don’t know if it’s getting the best out of Bowen. Is he playing more centrally now?

Yes, he's basically playing in a two with Antonio when we play with a back three. And yes, I think we do lose the best of Bowen in that formation.
  • I doubt that we are going to play three at the back with Fornals as a LWB against Liverpool after we lost 3-1 playing that against Saints

Diop did well as a left sided CB but hardly got into the final third so not much use as a LB
  • We need our good wide players out wide, because our full backs aren't great in the attacking third. Particularly with Fornals and Johnson on the flanks as both tend to slow up the play and come inside with a pass back to the midfield. Bowen and Benrahma are the only players we have that run at their man.
  • We will because if Cresswell is back it allows us to move between a 4-3-3 or a 3-5-2.

Fabianski
    Johnson - Dawson - Zouma - Cresswell
    Soucek - Rice - Lanzini
    Bowen - Antonio - Fornals

Wonder if Moyes will drop Dawson after his comments about his defending midweek
  • I think the main reason Johnson and Fornals appear to slow up play is down to the lack of options available totem once they break.
  • Lukerz said:

Although, didn’t see Declan in any of the training picks/videos. 🤔

He won't be playing. Illness apparently.
  • Lukerz said:

Although, didn’t see Declan in any of the training picks/videos. 🤔

He won't be playing. Illness apparently.
    Right.

Well that reduces our chances from slim to none.

Presumably then we'll see:

Fabianksi
    Johnson Dawson Zouma Cresswell
    Soucek Fornals
    Bowen Lanzini Vlasic
    Antonio

And then Alex Kral will post Instagram videos of him pushing weights around a gym tomorrow.
  • I’d go

Fabianski
    Diop - Zouma - Cresswell
    Johnson - Lanzini - Soucek - Fornals
    Bowen - Antonio - Vlasic