Man City v Massive West Ham United Sunday 28th November Kick off 1400

123457»

Comments

• Outcast, thanks for explanation.
  • I'd rather see Zouma in his natural position. Doesn't Issa play left CB, if so why doesn't Moyes go in that direction. Obviously doesn't rate/like Diop.
  • edited November 2021

I'd rather see Zouma in his natural position. Doesn't Issa play left CB, if so why doesn't Moyes go in that direction. Obviously doesn't rate/like Diop.

Diop also plays on the right, he is the only one that moves between the two positions.

I remember this from years ago with Tomkins, Collins and Reid. Reid always played on the left, Collins always played on the right, and Tomkins moved between the two. When Tomkins and Reid played together, Tomkins looked great. When Collins and Tomkins played together, he looked ropey. Collins and Reid had far more consistency and ended up being our main pairing for a while. Tomkins suffered from his supposed versatility.

EDIT: I wasn't sure if it still existed, but my old West Ham Stats Blog is still alive, and this is a post I wrote about the effect of moving from RCB to LCB on James Tomkins, way back in 2014. http://westhamunitedstats.blogspot.com/2014/01/player-spotlight-james-tomkins.html

NOTES: [1] I do not like my writing style from 8 years ago; [2] If I was to do this type of thing again it would look incredibly different; [3] The comment about Tomkins potentially being world class was purely an in-joke for this forum, so skip over it
  • Please buy a striker. Antonio is just not up to it and, at the moment shows, the same demeanour as he did when playing wing back.
    Otherwise it was a spirited performance against a City team playing near the top of their game. Once again Fab's distribution was poor but he made a number of tidy saves. Rice was just Rice, another excellent game. Arthur shouldn't be a starter as far as I'm concerned. One or two bits of magic isn't enough. Lanzini should start ahead of Benrahma at this time as he's showing glimpses of his old form.

And Slacker, what were you doing on the M62? M25, M1, M6, M6 Toll, M56 on a coach in 5 hours 10 minutes with a 45 minute pit stop and no snowfall. 😀

COYI
  • And Slacker, what were you doing on the M62? M25, M1, M6, M6 Toll, M56 on a coach in 5 hours 10 .

I live in the sticks in Yorkshire, so it’s M1 - M62 for me.
    Turned into a nightmare.
    Thought I was Chris Rea for a while.
  • You couldn't have used Woodhead or Snake pass as they were full of snow. My mate was stuck up there all night Friday and didn't get home until 3 in the afternoon Saturday. In fact they're still shut now.
  • Yeah I was never going to use either of them Preston. I’ve got 3 weather apps on my phone ( I’m a fisherman) and not one forecast that snow. Every one said it would be cold and clear on Sunday. If I’d have known what was coming I would have written it off and stayed home
  • edited November 2021
    Slacker, you're a fisherman as in trawlerman?
  • Ha! No no.
    Fisherman as in angler.
  • Positives:
    Stayed in the game until the 90th minute
    Lanzini had a nice cameo (plus goal)
    Declan Rice (second half, thought he struggled first)
    Defensive shape
    Only losing by 1 despite not playing overly well
    Stayed 4th
    Bright start

Negatives:
    Johnson’s use of the ball going forwards
    Fabianski’s kicking (so many didn’t make it out of our half)
    Antonio looking slightly off form
    Masuaku - got the idea, just didn’t really offer a lot
    Not really doing anything to worry City in the game

At the end of the day, we lost 2-1 there last season (but I felt we played better last season). City were just too good for us on Sunday. We didn’t get many chances to break &, when we did, their players snuffed it out with pressing & good defending. I think there was that one chance where Rice ran into the box & you were expecting him to pull it back for somebody to tap in which may well have got us a 1-1. Not to be.