International Break - November

It's an international break! Is this the most call ups we've had in recent memory? It might be! TWELVE senior call ups!

Declan Rice (England), Alphonse Areola & Kurt Zouma (France), Pablo Fornals (Spain), Tomas Soucek, Alex Kral & Vladimir Coufal (Czechia), Nikola Vlasic (Croatia), Andriy Yarmolenko (Ukraine), Arthur Masuaku (DR Congo), Said Benrahma (Algeria) and Michail Antonio (Jamaica) have all been called up for their senior sides.

And in the youth squads, we have Armstrong Okoflex (Ireland U21s), Krisztian Hegyi (Hungary U21s), Aji Alese (England U20s), Pierre Ekwah (France U20s), Jamal Baptiste (England U19s) and Divin Mubama & Sonny Perkins (England U18s).

Lots to look out for from a West Ham perspective.

Comments

• So boring. The international break, I mean, rather than your thread.

Although you are boring.
  • So boring. The international break, I mean, rather than your thread.

Although you are boring.

Your nickname is literally Borderz
  • Antonio... my heart sinks every time.

Jamaica have zero or if wanting to be kind no chance of qualifying, and he has now been sent to El Salvador, the good news is it's now only the third most dangerous place on earth regard crime.

Other than that I have never enjoyed an international break so much, what a place to enter it.
  • The company I was working for at the time sent me to El Salvador for a short visit of 3 weeks during the London Olympics. I was told that there were certain parts of the city (San Salvador) to not go to, other than that I felt perfectly safe (in my armoured vehicle and 2 bodyguards - nah, just making that bit up =) )
    He'll be fine.
  • Emile Smith Rowe called up after Rashford / Mount / Shaw / James Ward Prowse all potentially unavailable ?

Surely he has a look at Bowen / Gallagher /(maybe a surprise Cresswell call up)
  • I think Smith Rowe definitely deserve to be in the mix, but I also think Bowen is can't have been far away from that call up. If the rest aren't available (it seems unclear if they are or aren't) I'd definitely expect Bowen to be a replacement, even if he doesn't actually get capped.
  • Manchester United pair Marcus Rashford and Luke Shaw - along with Mason Mount and James Ward-Prowse - have not reported for international duty.

Southampton's Ward-Prowse is ill while Rashford will focus on his fitness after returning from a shoulder injury.

The arrival of Chelsea's Mount has been delayed by dental surgery.

Defender Shaw is following concussion protocol after being replaced during last Saturday's Manchester derby.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59212282

So most likely Mount and Shaw will feature (not 100% sure on the concussion protocols)

Rashford sounds like he is definitely not playing, and if JWP is ill would you bother risking it ?
  • Rice has withdrawn from the England squad through illness.

Hopefully one of those 'illnesses' that only affect largely pointless internationals.
  • Lets hope thats all it is
  • England looking suddenly much less massive.
  • Not sure Massive And England should be used in the same sentence =)
  • Hopefully nothing serious for Rice and he makes the most of a rest and come back firing on all cylinders.
  • Apparently flu. 🤧
  • That’s a great goal. The run was classic Antonio, but the finish wasn’t something you usually see from him. The man is so confident and in form at the moment it’s great to see.

Elsewhere, Benrahma scored his first Algeria goal last night too.
  • edited November 2021
    I think Soucek also scored

I also noticed that Yarmolenko started for Ukraine & Vlasic came off the bench for Croatia, after both missing our last two games
  • Do jamaican players really have to jump on Antonio like that =)
  • Can someone decipher this from the BBC. I am lost.

And amid this mayhem he forced a superb save from Albania keeper Thomas Strakosha and shot inches wide, the end result leaving Kane level with the great Jimmy Greaves on 44 England goals and beating Wayne Rooney's record of 37 competitive goals for his country. Kane is now on 39.

Only Rooney, Sir Bobby Charlton and Gary Lineker have scored more for England. This is the measure of his quality and importance.
  • edited November 2021
    Are we thinking there's a distinction ( not made clear) between goals scored in competitive matches and those scored in friendlies?

Edit. Written by Phil McNulty ... Really struggle to see how he got to be chief football writer for a national broadcaster. On account of, he's not a particularly good writer.
  • He’s a really bad writer. Just on a basic level, it’s really awkward and difficult to read.
  • The distinction bring that Kane beat Rooney's record of 37 to go above him in goals scored in competitive matches and matching Greaves' record overall.
  • Think of a number between one and ten, divide it by two and add your birthday .... probably more accurate!
  • If you subtract their goals scored against San Marino, Andorra and the other minnows, who I don’t recall England ever playing when charlton and greaves were playing, then Rooney would be on about 9 and Kane on maybe 11. Then subtract the penalty’s and Kane is zero and Rooney -5. It pains me that these two are even mentioned in the same sentence as jimmy and Bobby.
  • edited November 2021
    Charlton and Greaves both scored hat tricks in a 9-0 away win over Luxembourg 19th October 1960, World Cup Qualifier,

Portugal was the other team in group 6, they lost to Luxembourg 4-2 away. Guess Portugal weren't quite as good as they were in 1966
  • To quote that famous US Vice Presidential debate quote "Harry Kane, you're no Jimmy Greaves"
  • Vlasic in the starting XI for Croatia v Russia
  • IronHerb said:

To quote that famous US Vice Presidential debate quote "Harry Kane, you're no Jimmy Greaves"

More Jimmy Cricket
  • Croatia v Russia have abandoned football and are now playing water polo...
  • Apparently hes now Michael Antonio in USA now too