Leicester (H)

1234568»

Comments

• Had he controlled it even better the ball would have come down sooner and he would have got a decent touch.
    But it's all about opinions and I don't really care if we score lucky goals every now and again as long as we don't rely on them.
    Yesterday it was the icing on the cake. But I don't want to end up in a position where we rely on lucky touches to get points.
  • That goal is Antonio all over. Not necessarily pretty but finding a way to be effective using instinct and athleticism, even when it's unorthodox. The ball from Coufal is behind him but he manages to get a touch that sets him up. It's ahead of him but its hard to see many other touches that would take it away from the defender and set him for a finish. Then he has the hunger and ability to poke it in. He's scored similar before in that clip. It's not pretty but I don't think it's lucky. He's not technically the best player - you see that in a lot of his one-on-ones but he's hungry. A lot of great strikers weren't that pretty to watch.
  • OK, not a major cause for concern but I had a medical procedure today and as I was waiting to be put under I thought to myself, I don’t expect anything to go wrong, but if it does, I will go out with West Ham on top of the League.

Well it made me smile :-)
  • OK, not a major cause for concern but I had a medical procedure today and as I was waiting to be put under I thought to myself, I don’t expect anything to go wrong, but if it does, I will go out with West Ham on top of the League.

Well it made me smile :-)

Best wishes and make sure you come out of it with West Ham still on top =)
  • Had he controlled it even better the ball would have come down sooner and he would have got a decent touch.
    But it's all about opinions and I don't really care if we score lucky goals every now and again as long as we don't rely on them.
    Yesterday it was the icing on the cake. But I don't want to end up in a position where we rely on lucky touches to get points.

Actually our second goal and Leicester's goal were far "luckier", not that I agree with you that Antonio's second was lucky. That was quintessential MA - effort, strength, determination, athleticism. Let's hope he scores more of them.
  • edited August 2021
    There's an argument that most goals are down to luck. Lanzini's equaliser against Spurs, even. If he hit that shot 100 times, 99 of them probably go high, wide or straight at the 'keeper.

But of you want a really lucky goal, just look at Micky's first for us.
  • i think i remember that goal without having to look it up ? was it that header against Southampton where he basically fell over ? and the ball just pinged off his head and looped over the keeper.
  • That's the one
  • Only goal I've ever seen where a player heads a goal from a prone position.
  • Talking of lucky goals, how about Citeh' s first two goals against Norwich?
  • Or John O'Sheas goal where it comes in from a cross, he goes to shoot, he misses but it goes in from is standing leg. That is lucky.
  • I think Freddie Piquionne scored a goal in the Champo where he fell over in the box & the ball smashed his face and went in.
  • Antonio's second was really skillful imo; his first touch took the ball past the defenders (as it was delivered to him, the defenders were between the ball and the goal) and left him with just a keeper who was kinda in no-man's land to beat, so a slight touch with his studs was all that was needed.

If that was Bergkamp or Henry no-one would be mentioning "lucky" imo.
  • I don't think it was lucky, but I do feel his touch was heavier than intended. But he knew what he was doing, he has that skill & ability & the fact is it went in the back of the net.
  • Bergkamp or Henry probably would’ve flicked it straight into a volley rather than have to stretch but again that’s what I love about Antonio - the hunger to just make something out of the situation.
  • Still don't want him on pens though. 🤦‍♂️
  • IronHerb said:

Still don't want him on pens though. 🤦‍♂️

Definitely not. He's similar to Carlton in that respect, much worse when he's got time to think about things.
  • Just sitting here thinking, what would Arsenal give to have Bergkamp or Henry :-)
  • I reckon all of the squad they have at the moment.
  • Just sitting here thinking what would Arsenal give to have a point... ;)