Newcastle away

Comments

• Scrub that. You still need to be a ST holder to apply in the ballot.
  • Now that we're a week away, I'm going to do a team prediction.

Fabianski; Coufal Dawson Ogbonna Cresswell; Soucek Noble; Bowen Benrahma Fornals; Antonio

Subs: Areola Diop Johnson Fredericks Rice Lanzini Yarmolenko
  • Same as alderz but Rice for Noble. Any new purchase this week, I know I know, might alter my selection.
  • Oggy wasn't on the bench against Atalanta
  • Oggy wasn't on the bench against Atalanta

Yeah I forgot about his injury. It’ll be Diop for him
  • Lukerz posted earlier on the Pre Season thread that Ex reported that Ogbonna is in training but was not risked today, so may be available.
  • I think we'll start with exactly the same line up as against Atalanta but maybe with Bowen in for Yarmo

Trust in the Moyesiah
  • All the international lads got 60 minutes, and they all looked pretty sharp

Expect to see Coufal and at least one of Soucek/Rice or even both in the team against Newcastle
  • I still think it’s very risky. Pre-season against a half-hearted Italian side will not be the same as 2pm next Sunday. It was clear Moyes wants them all back to their best ASAP, given them all a start, but I am not sure it will be wise to start them all next week, but we shall see!
  • Anyone would think they’ve been out with broken legs. They played competitive football then had a 3-4 week holiday. If it’s too risky for them to play 90 minutes after another 8 days then they’re in the wrong job.
  • Newcastle appear to have some injury problems of their own. Both keepers, Dubravka and Darlow, are doubts with one recently having an op and the other suffering the after affects of Covid. Wilson, Shelvey and St Maximin are all carrying injuries that make it touch and go for next Sunday.
  • edited August 2021
    Interestingly we seemed to play a back 3/5 yesterday.

Seemed to alternate at various points, but I am sure it was Fornals as LWB.

Might be something Moyes is considering next week in Masuaku’s absence.

Fabianski
    Diop - Dawson - Cresswell
    Coufal - Souček - Rice - Fornals
    Bowen - Benrahma
    Antonio
  • I think that the defensive work Fornals does from LW means he can drop back when we don’t have the ball and Cresswell can tuck inside. Maybe a 4-2-3-1 with the ball, and 3-4-2-1 without it
  • Newcastle haven't signed anyone apart from some U23s, Joe Willock has gone back to Arsenal and Andy Carroll has been released. The only player unavailable is GK Martin Dubravka who needed surgery on his foot.
  • Wilson started the friendly against Norwich yesterday, Saint-Maximin came on at half time

GK Karl Darlow is out with Covid, got it bad and needed to go to hospital last month so 24yo Freddie Woodman was between the sticks. He spent last season on loan at Swansea and was going to on loan to Bournemouth this season but Bruce decided to keep him

Newcastle have made a £20m bid for Joe Willock although Arsenal are considering offering him in part-ex to Leicester for James Maddison
  • Saint-Maximin was unplayable in our last match.

He played 45 minutes against York 18th July, 67 minutes against Doncaster 23rd July and 45 minutes yesterday against Norwich.

I doubt if he'll be in the starting XI

We had Noble for Rice and Johnson for Cresswell that day.
  • & Ben-Haim for Dawson
  • April 21, 3-2 Newcastle
    Fab
    Dawson* Diop Ogbonna
    Coufal Soucek Noble Johnson
    Bowen Lingard Fornals

*Dawson got set off in the 36th minute

Sep 20, 2-0 Newcastle
    Fab
    Fredericks Diop Ogbonna Cresswell
    Rice Noble Soucek
    Bowen Antonio Fornals

Safe to say that the team we put out in the 1st game is closer to what we will see on Saturday, but we were just awful that day, probably worst we played all season

I am surprised they've made NO moves...but again, it is Mike Ashley
  • So if Ogbonna is fit to start & we go with a back four, who plays next to him out of Dawson/Diop?
  • That's a question for Moyes. 😁
  • Lukerz said:

So if Ogbonna is fit to start & we go with a back four, who plays next to him out of Dawson/Diop?

Dawson
  • April 21, 3-2 Newcastle
    Fab
    Dawson* Diop Ogbonna
    Coufal Soucek Noble Johnson
    Bowen Lingard Fornals

*Dawson got set off in the 36th minute

Sep 20, 2-0 Newcastle
    Fab
    Fredericks Diop Ogbonna Cresswell
    Rice Noble Soucek
    Bowen Antonio Fornals

Safe to say that the team we put out in the 1st game is closer to what we will see on Saturday, but we were just awful that day, probably worst we played all season

I am surprised they've made NO moves...but again, it is Mike Ashley

We really were hindered in that second game. Ogbonna just starting after 6 weeks out, no Cresswell, Rice or Antonio, arguably our best 3 players of the season after Souček. 3 CBs, Johnson at LWB, Lingard as a false 9.

Hopefully much stronger & balanced Sunday.
  • Lukerz said:

So if Ogbonna is fit to start & we go with a back four, who plays next to him out of Dawson/Diop?

Milenkovic or Caleta-Car or Diop.
  • Bruce started last season playing a back four but ended up playing three at the back for the last nine games although that might have been because Newcastle were in danger of relegation.

As he'll have his 3rd choice keeper I think he might be cautious, go three at the back again
  • I think Ogbonna will start on the bench, if fit.
  • 9 subs permitted this season, I didn't think the returnees would be starting but after Moyes' comments it seems he wants them to.

Fabianski
    Coufal - Dawson - Diop - Cresswell
    Bowen - Souček - Rice - Fornals
    Benrahma
    Antonio

Areola, Alves, Ogbonna, Fredericks, Johnson, Coventry, Noble, Lanzini, Yarmolenko