VAR

2»

Comments

• edited August 2021
    So already this season VAR has corrected 2 decisions that on-field officials gave against us; Cresswell's goal against Newcastle (wrongly flagged offside, wrong twice in actual fact as not only was it already over the line when it was touched by Bowen(?), but he was onside anyway) and the red card against Leicester that Michael Oliver, from only a few yards away and with an unobstructed view, didn't even award a foul for in actual play.

It must be really nice to be treated as generously as other clubs are by refs and lino's.
  • We've also had a soft penalty go our way that didn't get overturned, let's not forget!

Overall, VAR has been good so far this season. Significantly improved from the last couple of years.
  • The flag should never have gone up against Newcastle. They were always told, unless clear, to keep flags down & leave it to VAR to intervene if required. Given Bowen & Soucek were both clearly level, the flag should never have gone up.
  • alderz said:

We've also had a soft penalty go our way that didn't get overturned, let's not forget!

Overall, VAR has been good so far this season. Significantly improved from the last couple of years.

Alderz, you keep forgetting, we're a top six club now =)
  • Lukerz said:

The flag should never have gone up against Newcastle. They were always told, unless clear, to keep flags down & leave it to VAR to intervene if required. Given Bowen & Soucek were both clearly level, the flag should never have gone up.

I don't think that's right. They are told to flag late, not to never put the flag up. the ball was in the goal when the flag went up, which is what is meant to happen. Then VAR comes in to rule with or against the assistant.
  • I thought the lino did the right thing at Newcastle. He wasn't sure so flagged and VAR sorted it. No problem there.
  • I don’t really blame the ref for missing the Perez red, either. I think his view was obscured and even our own players and fans didn’t seem to see how bad it was.
  • Re the Perez red, the Ref to me was not in a bad position but it happened so fast and the angle was such that he clearly could not see how dangerous the contact was.

To my mind, the challenge when viewed in real time was clearly a foul and could easily have resulted in a yellow card, whereupon I doubt that VAR would have intervened
  • Cresswell certainly saw it and appealed straight away
  • IronHerb said:

I thought the lino did the right thing at Newcastle. He wasn't sure so flagged and VAR sorted it. No problem there.

Surely that's completely wrong; you don't flag if you're not sure, you flag when you are sure an offence has been committed. VAR would check it regardless, it was just yet another example of on-field officials being very willing to flag against us imo.
  • I think that's being a little paranoid.
  • edited August 2021
    IronHerb said:

I think that's being a little paranoid.

We rarely get the rub of the green from on-field officials; I've lost count of the number of red cards that have been rescinded against us, and what about the ball going a yard out of play against Man Utd last season? And being the last team to be awarded a penalty last season? Schmeichel's dreadful tackle a couple of years ago that went completely unpunished?
  • I don't disagree that we get a bad rub sometimes, but the assistant flagged because that's what the guidance is, IMO.
  • alderz said:

I don't disagree that we get a bad rub sometimes, but the assistant flagged because that's what the guidance is, IMO.

I'm asking this as I honestly don't know; why would the guidance be to flag unless he genuinely thought the goal should be disallowed? It's going to be checked anyway, so why would the guidance be to flag "just in case"? Surely he flags if he believes it should be disallowed, and doesn't flag if he thinks it's ok.

I just feel he made an extremely poor decision that was wrong on two counts.
  • edited August 2021
    The linesman’s positioning was at fault to start with but we don’t know who he was flagging. Was it Soucek who didn’t touch it or was it Bowen who did but after it was in. Whoever it was he thought they were offside. If it had gone through for a goal kick he wouldn’t have bothered.
  • Whoever it was he thought they were offside.

That's exactly my point, he got it wrong on 2 counts with both of them, they didn't touch it, and they were both onside, yet he still couldn't wait to try and deny us a goal.
  • I personally think the idea that officials have something against West Ham is absurd. Why would they?

I bet fans of every club could list lots of things that they feel were injustices. The softest decision that game - the penalty - went in our favour.

My understanding is that the on-field officials are required to make a call either way. That way, if it’s too close to call when it goes to VAR, the on-field decision stands.
  • edited August 2021

My understanding is that the on-field officials are required to make a call either way. That way, if it’s too close to call when it goes to VAR, the on-field decision stands.

And if that was the case, we'd have been stitched up by the lino.

I'm sure fans of other clubs feel hard-done by too, but for a good while now we definitely haven't been well treated by on-field officials, especially with regards to penalties for, penalties against, red cards (as I said earlier, we've had so many rescinded) and offside decisions (remember the ridiculous one against Liverpool?).
  • But how closely do you pay attention to decisions which go against all other clubs? We always remember the West Ham ones and don’t register the bad decisions that go against others.

Newcastle, for example, have had very marginal decisions go against them in both PL games this season. Have the officials also got something against Newcastle?
  • I think that he flagged because he thought it was offside. I also thought it was offside, because I thought Bowen had put it away after Soucek's flick. Remember it all happened in less than a second. I think if you want to point to some kind of vendetta against West Ham, this isn't the example to convince me.
  • But how closely do you pay attention to decisions which go against all other clubs? We always remember the West Ham ones and don’t register the bad decisions that go against others.

I completely agree, but the number of red cards we've had rescinded in recent years is, I'm sure, miles ahead of anyone else (it's really difficult to get a list of all rescinded reds, I can't find one by googling), the lack of penalties awarded last season (last team to be given one I believe), ridiculous decisions like the Liverpool offside and the Man Utd ball that was about a yard out of play, we definitely don't get fair treatment, and haven't for a while.
  • Compare previous seasons... We aren't always the last team to get a penalty. The fact that in 1 year we were doesn't, imo, count as sufficient evidence to say the officials are biased against us.
  • Someone has to be last
  • alderz, any list of rescinded red cards to hand (for all clubs)?
  • alderz, any list of rescinded red cards to hand (for all clubs)?

Not that I’m aware of. I think I looked for one last season because of how much it had happened, and couldn’t find anything.
  • alderz said:

Not that I’m aware of. I think I looked for one last season because of how much it had happened, and couldn’t find anything.

Ah well, if you couldn't find anything then no point me trying 😅
  • I think Buffy has a point about bias in the past, but now we're a top 6 team playing in front of 66,666 spectators. Refs will not want to annoy us any more. Especially if Vlad gives them a look. ;)
  • I was looking to see if Leicester had appealed against Perez' red card seeing how it was not even an offence according to Leicester fans & St. Brendan and found this on Twitter.

Aug 24
    WOW
    Leicester City have appealed the Ayoze Perez red card!
    It's believed the club don't think three games is a severe enough ban and have begged for a more severe punishment

=) =)