Saints match

Comments

• edited May 2021
    Something to savour, Manu's goal of the season equaliser against the Spuds is the difference between us and them taking 6th place.
    COYI
  • We are massive , great season won half our games
  • Something to savour, Manu's goal of the season equaliser against the Spuds is the difference between us and them taking 6th place.
    COYI

And one of the defeats to Newcastle cost us champions league place too
  • First, I would like to apologise for getting Antonio injured.
    Although it’s great to be in Europe I am a little concerned that it might affect our league form next season with such a small squad and I have little faith in the Dave’s to do anything like we would need to compete in both. I truly hope I am wrong.
  • Anyone out there still sober .Me neither
  • Europa League group stages

I’ve never seen that as a Hammer

Over the moon tonight & so proud of the lads
  • was going to be a night off the beers, then 6th
  • When's the draw, when's the draw, when's the draw 🙃 🙂 🙃 👏👏👏
  • Apparently the current scores in Italy put Roma in the Europa conference next season. That’s good, someone for Spurs to choke against. They won’t even win that trophy
  • Week 1 of group stage is 16 September.
  • Haha Haller in the Goal of the season contest xD
  • We had three in the running!
  • Unbelievable, when I checked in we were losing 1-0 at 71mins, Hereford had 10 shots against the Urchins 4 and I thought that would be a decent result if they can hold out, checked back a bit later and OMG.

Spoke to a couple of my mates who are there, safe to say that it is all going to kick off back at the Bridge this evening, unbelievable

URCHINS

Lukerz said:

Europa League group stages

I’ve never seen that as a Hammer

Over the moon tonight & so proud of the lads

I’ve got my first ever season ticket for next season as well, so I’m pretty excited by this.
  • Do we know if you can get European away tickets without being a season ticket holder? Is there a precedent?
  • As above. And I was so airborne last night I forgot my manners: so massive thanks to all the members who kept me sane by commentating during the game. We only won because of them... =)
  • When's the draw, when's the draw, when's the draw 🙃 🙂 🙃 👏👏👏

Draw for the Group Stage Friday 27 August, 12 noon (1pm Switzerland time)

BTW Astra Giurgiu lost in the cup final 3-2 AET
  • The draw is on my birthday, which means two things. 1) If it’s a bad draw I’ll send UEFA an email to ask for a better one as a birthday present. 2) You all should remember and get me a cake or something.
  • So I came up with this..

• edited May 2021
    I didn't see the game yesterday as I was driving for most of it, but was getting regular updates from my other half. Pretty nervy, even at 2-0, but the relief and pride I felt when I heard Rice had sealed it was incredible.

I don't think even now that what we've achieved has sunk in. I know fans of other clubs will say it's 'only' 6th place, but we all remember where we were 12 months ago and how low everything felt. I think a vast majority of us would have accepted a 10th place finish at the start of the season, so to finish with European qualification is exceptional. There is that niggle of 'if only' when you look at the three point gap to 4th (the Arsenal collapse, the defeats to a very average Newcastle side spring to mind), but it works both ways and when you think about the late goals for the draw with Spurs and the wins over Fulham and Everton, we could quite easily have finished 8th or 9th.

Huge credit has to go to Moyes and his team; I don't think he was many people's first (or second, or third) choice, but he has done an incredible job. There are still a few gripes; the way he's managed Benrahma hasn't felt right, and he does seem to have a bit of a block when he plays the big teams, but given what he's had to work with and where we were, what he's achieved is nothing short of Manager of the Season stuff.

Moving forward, this season has to be the benchmark. I know it'll be difficult to manage the Thursday/Sunday situation and competing on two fronts, but the club needs to make sure that we're well-equipped to deal with it; that means a bigger squad and signing players that specifically don't have bad injury records. We've been linked with Ings and Oxlade-Chamberlain - good players, no doubt - but not worth the risk, IMO.

This will also be a big test of how committed our owners are to 'the next level'. Europa League is literally the next level for an established PL club as far as I'm concerned, so hopefully the board will back Moyes. There's guaranteed TV money for the next 3/4 years and with full fan capacity (hopefully) for next season, the match-day revenue will pick up again, so there should be a bit more financial security for them. I know it's not all about how much you spend (Anderson and Haller cost us £70m+ and have delivered less than Soucek and Coufal at £25m), so hopefully we'll continue to 'buy smart' too.

In what has been a very dark time for everyone, some affected more than others, to have a team to be proud of has given a lot of people some light. The players and manager have shown a real togetherness and the team has played some really good football this season; 6th is fully deserved and I hope this is the start of West Ham taking the next step towards total world domination.
  • OCS great comment, full of sense and then you had to go and spoil it in the last 3 words. =) =) =)
  • Woke up this morning and immediately checked the final table to see if I was dreaming.

Turns out I wasn’t...
  • Maybe the owners will say we’ve delivered on our promise of European football and now it’s time to sell. They could couldn’t they? couldn’t they? Huh? =)
  • edited May 2021
    Crying with laughter at Westhamclips on twitter 🤣
    Some swearing and it's a two part edition.
  • Hamstew said:

Crying with laughter at Westhamclips on twitter 🤣
    Some swearing and it's a two part edition.

They're selling a DVD of the whole season
    £7.99. Got to get one
  • It just became to repetitive. Funny in places though.
  • Will take a couple of days to come down to earth ,Then i will start to worry about strenth of the squad.And how to compete on 2 fronts next season,Fornals looked so happy after his first goal yesterday ,After his second it was like did i really just score twice