International Break - teams and games

Comments

• An Albanian has just come on wearing a helmet, surely he's not allowed to head the ball? I'm sure it's protection for an injury, but not right imo. I know Petr Cech used to wear something similar, but keepers don't often head the ball.
  • Well done Mason Mount

Who would have imagined that Gareth Southgate would be this good?
  • Lingard gets the final 10 mins
  • Southgate is one west ham player away from winning the world cup
  • An Albanian has just come on wearing a helmet, surely he's not allowed to head the ball? I'm sure it's protection for an injury, but not right imo. I know Petr Cech used to wear something similar, but keepers don't often head the ball.

I wonder if Raul Jimenez will play with one. I think he's with Mexico just for training now and wearing one.
  • Apparently this guy fractured a cheek bone in 2013 and started wearing it then, and still does. Not right imo.
  • So what advantage does he get then?
  • Surely with the whole conversation about dementia and head injuries that’s going on in the game it’s ok for anyone to wear protective headgear to keep them comfortable and/or safe?
  • I know i do after the wife has had a rough night if you get my drift =)
  • It will end up either heading will be banned and/or deemed a red card offence or players will be kitted out like American footballers.
  • I don't think it's likely that players will be wearing full helmets, but head gear like the Albian guy, Cech, etc will become more and more commonplace. I can't imagine it will ever be mandatory, but it will certainly be an option that'll get taken up far more than it is now.

I don't know much about the dementia research that took place, but you'd assume that footballs getting lighter and lighter would reduce some of the risk compared to the old days?
  • It is a fairly obvious connection which is now being made between heading and occasional later life brain issues. It has to be put in context however and some would argue that if there is going to be rules brought into place in the future regard heading the ball you would imagine Boxing would have been banned ten years before that time. The aim of boxing is to land the sort of blow that concusses an opponent, that's the aim and intention, not a by product. I love Boxing but it's hard to speak about regulating a sport with a small incidence of a health issue when you allow another sport in which the aim is to concuss.
  • But you dot go into football, or didn't, expecting to be concussed whereas in boxing it is part and parcel of the sport.
  • Lewandowski suffered ligament damage against Andorra yesterday and will miss Wednesday's England v Poland match

Oh dear...
  • Oh I was looking forward to him playing. These games England play are so boring.
  • I enjoy the games more when we have our club players playing though. Was good to see both Lingard and Rice win the player of the match in both games.
  • That’s true. I missed the Albania one. It’s just that they breeze through most of them and it says so little about how good the team is. It would’ve been interesting to see how they defended against the top striker in the world.
  • That’s true. I missed the Albania one. It’s just that they breeze through most of them and it says so little about how good the team is. It would’ve been interesting to see how they defended against the top striker in the world.

I know what you mean. It's the same pattern almost every year. Play a number of fairly useless teams during qualification, win most games by 2-4 goals, media build a level of expectation for a good run in the tournament, lose to the first decent team they play, get knocked out, start planning for the next tournament.

Lewandowski up against Stones and Maguire would have been a real test. Would have been good to see Rice against someone that good, too.
    Hamstew said:

I enjoy the games more when we have our club players playing though. Was good to see both Lingard and Rice win the player of the match in both games.

Me too. Generally I'm not too interested in the national team, but now we have a couple of players in the squad I'll make a point of watching just to see how they do. And like you say, it's nice to see their performances rewarded and will hopefully make the club more attractive to other potential signings.
  • Hamstew said:

I enjoy the games more when we have our club players playing though. Was good to see both Lingard and Rice win the player of the match in both games.

Found myself watching the Czech Republic the other night - who'd have thought!! ⚒️
  • Head guards won't stop concussions. They used them in boxing but all it did was stop cuts, the punches were still making the brain wobble.
  • Scothammer said,

Found myself watching the Czech Republic the other night - who'd have thought!! ⚒️

Me too, and I will be watching them again tonight against Wales.
  • Scothammer said,

Me too, and I will be watching them again tonight against Wales.

me three
  • Czechs looking good, not good for England though ! come the Euros.
  • I see Jose Fonte is still turning out for Portugal. Shame we didn't get more from him.
  • I’m not condoning what the Czech player did to be sent off, but the Welsh bloke should be embarrassed going down like that. If he’d been hit that hard he should be concussed still.

He was holding the Czech player as well, so he was lucky as some refs may have given a penalty(?)

..... I fear I am becoming Czech, and may need to change my name.
  • I feel you need to keep your Czech love in, in check lol 😂😂
  • edited March 2021
    Turkey (ranked 32nd by FIFA) beat Holland (14th) 4-2 on Wednesday, beat Norway (44th) 3-0 on Saturday and drew 3-3 with Latvia (136th) tonight.

A Mad World, My Masters.
  • Czechs looking good, not good for England though ! come the Euros.

Then they lose to Bales, so England will be fine.