Player watch - where are they now?

Comments

• I'm not sure anyone has said Ajax are a bad team, it's just that they aren't in a particularly good league.

Also Cullen is a former academy player who was made captain in his first season at Anderlecht.
  • Where in my post did I say you did, I’ve looked and couldn’t find it
  • To spare Cuz from some more criticism I would just like to mention Haller got the winner for Ajax today. 😉
  • What in a Mickey Mouse league awesome 😎
  • Yes, against the team lying 13th out of 18, also Ajax's 1st goal was an o.g. and Fortuna had equalised before Teddy's goal. ;)
  • Fair play to Haller. Wish him well.

Although he got 3 goals in his first few games for us, so let’s wait until the summer to see how he does.
  • Lukerz said:

Fair play to Haller. Wish him well.

Although he got 3 goals in his first few games for us, so let’s wait until the summer to see how he does.

He could get 30 goals between now and the end of the season, and it wouldn’t change that he didn’t suit us, and we weren’t going to adapt to him.
  • Lukerz said:

Fair play to Haller. Wish him well.

Champions league would be a good benchmark too
  • Does anyone actually think Haller is a bad player? I don’t think they do, do they?
  • I’ve never said they do
  • Cuz1 said:

I’ve never said they do

I never said you had.
  • I think his lack of pace was a problem. I don't think he's bad player but if you're playing the lone striker role, you've got to put yourself about a bit.
  • I think we are all in agreement I hope that he can’t play the lone striker role especially as his success at Frankfurt was with Jovic & Rebic. So he shouldn’t have been signed if that was expected of him. I know it was Pelle who was in post when he joined but DM just tried to play with that formation and didn’t try a system to assist him which is still a disappointment to me.
  • edited January 2021
    Pelle is to blame. The guy was nowhere near a replacement for Arnie &, right from the off, he was played as a single striker. It was not fair to expect Haller to be like Arnie & whether he was signed with that in mind or to offer us something completely fresh, I am not sure. His second game against Watford, where he scored his first two goals, he played up front with Anderson, Lanzini & Yarmolenko behind him. This is not a Moyes thing. Haller was a lone striker under MP apart from a couple of games where he paired him & Antonio together. Maybe the way we played did not get the best out of him. But, given our game plan is to get plenty of delivery into the box & our set pieces are pretty good too, I am not sure what else he needed us to do.
  • I think we are all in agreement I hope that he can’t play the lone striker role especially as his success at Frankfurt was with Jovic & Rebic. So he shouldn’t have been signed if that was expected of him. I know it was Pelle who was in post when he joined but DM just tried to play with that formation and didn’t try a system to assist him which is still a disappointment to me.

Moyes’ system has us with one of our best ever points totals at this stage of a PL season, so it isn’t a disappointment to me.

It’s about getting more out of the whole rather getting the best out of one particular player.

I do think Haller has real quality but I don’t think he fit in the team. And it’s a team doing very well, so no regrets from me that he’s gone.
  • On the one hand Cuz has a point - he could end up ripping up the Dutch league and then the champions league - and we may end up scratching our heads as to why exactly it didn’t work at West Ham to the extent we were prepared to move him on suddenly at a huge loss

On the other hand, when you see he has palpably failed to look at home under two different West Ham managers with different styles and several formations between them, it might just be that the premier league just didn’t get the best out of him and never would have.
  • It’s not like other Premier League clubs were falling over themselves to sign him.

In fact, nobody (as far as we know) in Europe’s top five leagues came in for him.
  • I don’t think we know that for sure - there may well have been interest on the loan front - but only Ajax came in with a concrete offer for a perm deal.
  • It’s not like other Premier League clubs were falling over themselves to sign him.

In fact, nobody (as far as we know) in Europe’s top five leagues came in for him.

He wasn’t clearly for sale, so I don’t think it says that much that others weren’t chasing him. Ajax obviously saw him as someone they needed and it’s paying off for them.

I don’t see why we need to fuss so much. I get that there was a lot of debate over him when he was with us and for some reason it got very heated. At the end of the day, it didn’t work and at least now he gets to play somewhere where he seems to be enjoying his football. There was more I wanted to see done to see if he could work for us but I think sometimes it’s not so bad to rethink things before it gets to the stage of a player wasting years of their career and the fans getting frustrated. We might look back and regret selling him but there was no sign anything about our system was going to change so there’s not really anything else to be said or done about it.

• Erm... what?
  • And here I was thinking this kind of stuff only happened at West Ham. 😂🙈🤦‍♂️
  • Dawson has scored more than Haller in last 7 or 8 games🤣🤣
  • And here I was thinking this kind of stuff only happened at West Ham. 😂🙈🤦‍♂️

It’s worse for us. Our entire club got mistakenly left out of the Europa League
  • I see Ajeti has been charged by the SFA of simulation in Celtic’s game against Kilmarnock.
  • edited February 2021
    I see Bednerak had his red card rescinded but Martial wasn't charged with simulation. Funny that.
  • https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11913/12209159/sebastien-haller-ajaxs-record-signing-ineligible-for-europa-league-due-to-admin-error

Haller unable to participate in the Europa League 2020/21 due to admin error. How bad is that, especially when another signing they made was included.
  • So does that mean there is a secretarial job going at Ajax now? 😆
  • Are they looking for someone with Vim and vigour?  🤪
  • So does that mean there is a secretarial job going at Ajax now? 😆

Graham Mackrell

Remember him?