Player watch - where are they now?

Comments

• Wilshere signed a short term deal with Bournemouth
  • Wilshere signed a short term deal with Bournemouth

The player that offered nothing, took £100k a week, dug the club out in every interview he's done since and implied he was too good for West Ham signing for Championship side Bournemouth? Surely not...
  • It's the only team he's played a run of matches for...and they dropped him. Found his level. His future is obviously in media, providing rubbish comments about West Ham.
  • edited January 2021
    I was looking at English players who don't play in England anymore, and found this article about our former youth player Veron Parkes. He apparently turned down a deal with us in 2018 to join Fortuna Sittard in the Eredivisie. He joined FC Dordecht on loan and made his professional debut a few months ago :+1:

https://englishplayersabroad.com/2020/10/19/veron-parkes-andrew-mills-make-professional-league-debuts/

EDIT: I've also found this spreadsheet on that website that lists out all English players playing abroad. I'm just scrolling through and saw that Matthias Fanimo is playing for Sarejevo in Bosnia, Vashon Neufville is at Atletico Ottawa in Canada, Jordan Brown is at VfR Aalen in Germany, Oscar Borg is with Arenas Getxo in Spain, Blair Turgott is at Ostersund in Sweden, and most shocking is that Billy Mehmet is still going strong in Cyprus with Meris Alsancak Yesilova.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1D9wB5e3S66n_GKCq8VXdF1B3Eb1IzpqNDXinsvJm5nI/edit#gid=833343257
  • We’re just here to help out the world.
  • Was watching the highlight of the Monchengladbach win against Dortmund and wondered how Oxford is doing now.

Has started 5 out his last 6 games, as a centre back, and getting some love on the Augsburg social media pages now. Hopefully a sign he's starting to come through as there's still so much time for him. Mad that he's only 22 (about a month older than Rice) considering how long ago it was that was coming through with us.
  • edited January 2021
    Whenever we let youngsters go we should insist on a buy back clause or percentage of re-sale.
  • yoyo said:

Whenever we let youngsters go we should insist on a buy back clause or percentage of re-sale.

I agree, it should be standard practice for Academy players, even if the option to buy back is not used a percentage on resale (profit) should always be added - one way to recoup some of the development costs for later bloomers.
  • Hopefully there’s at least a sell-on fee considering how rated he was at first and that he only left because he wanted the game time. It seems like obvious business sense to put that in.

It’s only a few games (and I noticed he’s given away two penalties but he also has MOTM awards) but just think it’s nice if he’s coming into his own. I kind of thought maybe it was unravelling for him but this actually a decent age for a CB to be settling in.
  • Hopefully there’s at least a sell-on fee considering how rated he was at first and that he only left because he wanted the game time. It seems like obvious business sense to put that in.

It’s only a few games (and I noticed he’s given away two penalties but he also has MOTM awards) but just think it’s nice if he’s coming into his own. I kind of thought maybe it was unravelling for him but this actually a decent age for a CB to be settling in.

He's still very young as a CB tbh, apart from keeper it's probably the position with the oldest peak performance average.
  • Glad for Oxford

Was so excited (as was everyone) on his debut, but it was likely too much too soon and like a lot of young players it hindered him

But getting out of the English media was good for him, and glad he's coming into his own...but agree do hope we had some sort of sell on fee
  • I wonder if we’d still have him and he’d be a much better player if he hadn’t made his debut back then. Rice seems a far more assertive character but had to wait a while longer. It was so exciting to have the idea of someone breaking through but he was really a kid. Would he have been so desperate for regular games if he hadn’t been given that start?
  • Julian Dicks said the other day that Oxford was the player who he was most surprised at not making the grade at West Ham. Said he stood out much more than Rice and had everything to make it at the club.

Maybe just had some bad advice from his agent, or let his success against Ozil go to his head, but hopefully he's starting to settle down into a good career now.
  • I read an interview with Alphonso Davies the other day, and he was saying that he was nowhere near the best player at every age group, and then suddenly one day it all clicked and he was a first teamer and regarded by many as world class. Then you’ve got people like Oscar Borg who were meant to be one of the best players we’ve ever seen in our academy, and he’s playing in the lower leagues in Spain now.

I think it’s really interesting to see how that happens, and it’s very possible that Rice getting rejected by Chelsea and not being the best in his side, or even his position, spurred him on more.
  • I think physicality comes in sometimes as well. We’ve had players who are good against their age group but can’t deal with the physicality. Davies is fast but he also isn’t as weak as some others of his speed. Rice is very robust. I think he’s got an incredibly strong mentality as well, very brave. Beyond his years really. Maybe that’s because of the Chelsea thing. Oxford was probably more talented but in a lot of ways just seemed like a kid his age.
  • Yeah, I remember Oxford looking like a kid. Like Freddie Sears too. Really small framed children, essentially
  • Did we get a fee or his initial transfer or did it go to tribunal? I was looking up the rules on academy products, tribunals and the like and found this ...

In deciding on a compensation figure, it is not uncommon for the [tribunal] to set fees that build as the player becomes more established at first team level. It has now become quite usual for clubs to receive a basic compensation fee with further payments becoming due on the player’s debut, following a certain numbers of first-team appearances and after international appearances. It is also usual for there to be a sell-on fee should the player be sold at a profit at any point in the future.

https://fullcontactlaw.co.uk/2016/11/compensation-players-24-mystery/

Although, I have a vague memory that the system has changed in recent years ;hmm
  • I thought the compensation was for free agents?
  • Yeah I think it’s for free agents, and I don’t think it applies to those moving abroad?
  • Not for free agents, no - rule is (was) that if clubs couldn't agree a fee between them the tribunal set it instead. (There are some conditions, like you have to have offered the player a contract but they turn it down)

Not sure about the moving abroad thing - it might come under the Fifa system, which is (was) less flexible than the FA system.

I'll add looking it properly up to my 'to do' list.
  • But Oxford was sold? So we didn’t have to agree anything apart from why we wanted to sell him for? If we didn’t agree we wouldn’t have sold him.
  • Oh. My bad. I thought we'd offered him a new contract and he'd turned it down.

Ignore everything I posted.
  • MrsGrey said:

Ignore everything I posted.

Ever?
  • Josh Cullen captained Anderlecht for the first time today 👏🏻
  • Let him go he’s left us to join a two bit league
  • Don't slag off Anderlecht.

They've won the Cup Winner's Cup twice as many times as we have and unlike us they've they've played in the Europa :League Group stage. Unlike us they've played in the Champions League, won the UEFA Cup and the UEFA Super Cup.

And have a 100% record against us
  • But it’s ok to call out Ajax where hallers gone who have won the European cup 4 times
  • Here is the big difference: nobody here is saying we shouldn’t have sold Cullen, and nobody here is saying that him doing well for them means he would do well here.

If you can’t see the difference between mentioning news about one of our academy graduates, and people desperately trying to claim that someone who was here for 5 minutes and very clearly didn’t fit into the way we play, then I can’t help you.
  • Desperately wow you have a way with words alderz
  • Cuz1 said:

But it’s ok to call out Ajax where hallers gone who have won the European cup 4 times

I didn't, others did