Aston Villa (H) 30/11 - Match Thread

Comments

• edited November 2020

I wouldn't say it's about sentiment, just about keeping Haller - our only back-up striker and a potentially very good player - feeling positive.

He had a good game last time out and Antonio cannot be 100%. This will be a big blow for his confidence, and we could pay for that if (when) Antonio gets injured again.

Everthing pointed to Haller starting and Moyes having the luxury of having Antonio on the bench if Haller isn't effective. If Haller banged in a couple, give Antonio 15-20 minutes to get some match fitness back. If Haller struggled for an hour, bring on Antonio to change it up.

If Antonio struggles or pulls up again, then we have a de-motivated Haller coming on who may well think, 'what's the point, I'll only be dropped when Mike's fit again'.

If we lose tonight, I think Moyes has given some of the fans an angry Ivorian striker-sized stick to beat him with.
  • Let's hope Antonio scores, Haller comes on and scores too.
  • Of course, we could comfortably win with Antonio being pivotal in that...
  • And if he didn’t select him and we lost I’d be beating him with a stick, but he gets paid to manage so sometimes harsh decisions have to be made, but I’m sure he’d have taken medical advise

• If we lose tonight, I think Moyes has given some of the fans an angry Ivorian striker-sized stick to beat him with.

I don't think he factors that into his decision making.

At least, I hope he doesn't.
  • With all top 5 teams dropping points, which claret and blue team will move into the top 5? Or will we both cancel each other out?
  • Lukerz said:

Of course, we could comfortably win with Antonio being pivotal in that...

Which would be great, but the season is more than one game. We will definitely need Haller again this season, probably quite a bit. I hope he isn’t feeling too disheartened by this.

Anyway, they don’t call him the Moyesiah for nothing. And yes, by ‘they’ I mean ‘I’.

COYI
  • How fragile is he? If he can't handle it he's in the wrong profession.
  • edited November 2020
    MrsGrey said:

If we lose tonight, I think Moyes has given some of the fans an angry Ivorian striker-sized stick to beat him with.

I don't think he factors that into his decision making.

At least, I hope he doesn't.
    I'm sure he doesn't.

But you know as well as I do that there'll be plenty of fans that will bring out the Haller stick if we lose.

But as Lukerz says, if we win and Antonio scores, it'll be a Moyes masterclass. Fingers crossed for that outcome 🤞
  • 2-1 Hammers.

COYI
  • I just hope Antonio is over his injury.
  • That'll do 😄
  • edited November 2020
    Oggy with the opener. We're massive.
  • First away goal Villa have conceded this season, apparently.

You cannot stop Oggy, you fools.
  • Get in Oggy, gonna be a long match now 🙈🙈🙈
  • Omg you beauty.
  • Oggy, Oggy, Oggy!
  • What was that from Masuaku???
  • goooalll,from the sky build up I was amazed to see 21 other players on the pitch with grealish
  • So that must make it that our last nine have been scored by nine different players then #stat
  • edited November 2020
    Bowen's end product really needs to be better. Really like the lad, but he's just struggling to get it right in the final third.
  • Looks like we're happy to sit back on this lead. Playing to catch them on the break, maybe.
  • They're starting to get into the game now, and we haven't threatened since the goal.

Need to up the intensity a bit here.
  • Good chance for Villa from a corner, but the header goes over.
  • Looked like a soft free kick awarded against Cresswell in a very dangerous spot
  • not a free kick but they do like to drop to the floor
  • Cresswell’s first foul
  • Great save Fabianski
  • good save now defend the corner
  • Well that was coming. We've been very flat since the goal.

Really disappointing, that.