International Break 12th - 18th November

Comments

• "is making Rice look worse than he is." That implies he is poor?
  • I also think Rice did ok last night. First half not so much but he always seems to grow into England games for me. Something I guess he needs to work on. His stats don't lie.
  • edited November 2020
    As long as the media view Grealish as the favourite child, and Rice as “poor”, all the better for West Ham - maybe Chelsea will bid for HIM every transfer window. 😉
  • I think it's inevitable that Grealish will leave Villa at some point. As much as he loves the club he'll be snapped up by someone.
  • IronHerb said:

"is making Rice look worse than he is." That implies he is poor?

No, just not great wording. But I don’t think he’s been good for England. He’s too cautious and not the player we see for West Ham.
  • Fair enough but with Dier and Maguire behind you I think caution is key. 😂
  • Add Walker to that IronHerb and I’d agree 😂
  • I think Rice is the current so called pundits easy target at the moment he does all the unflashy stuff like tackling interceptions breaking up play, where as Grealish is all stepovers and falling over and winning free kicks so is flavour of the month. Rice;s role for England I think is more defensive that what he plays for West Ham . Give it a few months and the pundits will turn on Grealish for not scoring enough , not creating enough etc. If you play for the top 6 then you get more time
  • I think it’s also hard to appreciate Rice’s defensive work when it’s in such a stale set up, in games that don’t matter. You can appreciate it when there is creativity alongside him in midfield but not when you’re just leaving the attacking to just three forwards (one of them being Mount). Rice is basically like legs treading water to keep England afloat while the arms do a little doggy paddle.

He’ll be more appreciated when England have to actually get results in the Euros and when they’re up against better teams.
  • Outcast you don’t class Belgium as one of the better teams?
    I think England’s aim was to win the nations cup but they’ve made a poor fist of it.
    I don’t think he has an exact role to play in internationals as others seem to get in the way.
  • I meant that generally. In a tournament setting they’ll regularly play good teams who will also all be more motivated to win.

Against Belgium I think he suffered from the other part - the lack of positivity. If you’re one of seven outfield players who are set up to defend, and then they still score two, it’s hard to look good.
  • Personally just think England as a team are ... good .... but sometimes overrated.... that’s how I see it.... and while Southgate might be a nice guy... not sure he’s up there with the best.... just Imo of course!
  • Ravel Morrison made his Jamaica debut at the weekend
  • He’s also somehow being dragged into the nonsense being chucked at Greenwood.
  • He’s also somehow being dragged into the nonsense being chucked at Greenwood.

All the stuff with Greenwood, and to a lesser extent Ravel, makes me really cross. The media really want to drag these guys down however they can. They don't want to do it with Phil Foden though, which is weird. I wonder what the reason could possibly be..
  • A lot of the “nonsense” is based on what Ole says re his laziness in training, turning up late etc etc. Sounds a lot like Ravel was and apparently still is.
  • Solskjaer said:

“You do when you play well and I’m not concerned at all with Mason making a target of himself, because he came in, played fantastic, played against Tottenham in [his] first league game [last December], was brilliant, and kicked on,” he said. “Yeah he made a mistake with England and suddenly the whole English press go after him and that’s something we have got to look after. He’s a fantastic boy to work with.

“He’s got a good family behind him, he has had a good background in the academy and he’s a good trainer, he trains really well. We have a great record, tradition and history of bringing our players through. That means from early on you get good habits, we trust you, you can express yourselves. Mason’s come through this programme, he has done fantastic and he will be kicking on I’m sure, of course he’s a very exciting boy to work with.”

• Ravel joined ADO Den Haag on 21 September, currently 16th out of 18th in the Eredivisie

He played the second half of the match against Vitesse, came on for the last 10 minutes against AZ Alkmaar and played 96 minutes in a cup game against Sparta Rotterdam at the end of October but didn't even make the bench for the last two games.

He'll be 28 in February
  • I haven't seen Ole say anything, just newspaper talk, but happy to be corrected. His friend just died and it was very public.

Ravel's mistakes shouldn't mean he's constantly brought back into it, especially when there's a lot about him that went unknown - that he suffers with ADHD but Man U didn't let him take his medication, for example. There was a good article on it in The Athletic and Gary Neville is worth listening to - someone who actually trained with him, talked with him.

I'm not trying to debate that Ravel's talent hasn't been wasted or why, he clearly hasn't done what he should have in his career.

We'll probably have some day in football where we talk about mental health yet it's fine to treat footballers like this. Ravel's a grown man now but Greenwood is a 19-year-old kid who is grieving.

Maybe if he'd cheated on the mother of his young child and played for Man City he'd get an easier ride.
  • Gary Neville is worth listening to - someone who actually trained with him, talked with him.

Or Mark Noble, Harry Redknapp, Rio Ferdinand:

It’s basically down to Rav. We’ve given him a platform to go and show everybody his qualities and how good he is, what he can do and what he can be,” said the Sheffield United manager. “I spoke to Mark Noble about him, at West Ham, I spoke to Rio (Ferdinand) about him, Harry Redknapp, you know.

Obviously it didn't work out for him at Sheffield United, but the fact that Chris Wilder signed him after talking to those three suggests that maybe he wasn't as bad an influence / a trainer as people like to paint him as.

Noble also spoke about him really positively in this video (7:07)

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2020/july/18-july/mark-noble-500
  • Apparently Salah has returned a second positive COVID test. Looks like the initial decision was reviewed by Stockley Park and upheld
  • They will overturn it surely
  • And also award him a penalty against whoever the Scousers play next directly from the kick-off. =)
  • I'm dreading Rice getting injured in the meaningless game on this evening 🙈🙈🙈
  • I'm dreading Rice getting injured in the meaningless game on this evening 🙈🙈🙈

He's scored his first goal for England, now take him off 😂🤣😂
  • Soucek scored as well now
  • Not bad for our two defensive midfielders.
  • Wow carragher singing rices praises tonight saying he liked him and how underrated he was, I never thought I’d hear that from him
  • Bit off that Rice played a full 90 mins, after doing the same on Sunday.