Other games, 17/18/19 October

Comments

• alderz said:

I quite liked Wenger’s suggestion where if any part of the body is inside you should be considered onside rather than the other way around.

I’m not sure if this changes anything. Surely the lines would still be showing up, where they are trying to fractionally measure if a tiny part is onside rather than offside.
  • The old idea of giving the benefit of the doubt to the attacker in tight situations is fine for me. I think VAR is about mentality. What we’ve seen since it’s come in is a change in the game to adapt to this technology, rather than the tech adapting to the game. It should be used to make better calls but we’ve used it as if it leads to 100% correct calls and adapted rules to that. That’s why it’s infuriating when it picks small things apart while missing blatant handballs and fouls.
  • I agree.

Where it’s so tight it makes no material difference, benefit the attacker. Infusing a bit of common sense and asking if the attacker has really gained any material advantage by being millimetres offside could potentially reduce these ridiculous instances.

Another way to reduce contention even further could be to only take into account the part of the body that actually scores. So if you score with your left foot, it doesn’t matter if your right shoulder is offside.

Reducing these kind of calls to a minimum is the best we will get, IMO. Otherwise we carry on as it is or stop using VAR.
  • edited October 2020
    Palace have just got such a soft penalty, how cheap...useless decision IMO
  • alderz said:

I quite liked Wenger’s suggestion where if any part of the body is inside you should be considered onside rather than the other way around.

I think this would make it far more difficult to adjudicate. Take the position of a crowded penalty area where there may be 5 or so different bodies almost in a line. Not only would it be impossible to judge with the naked eye, but the camera lines will also be blocked. So keeping it as part of the body outside is the only one that is realistic.

The real issue is in judging what constitutes 'part of the body'.

My favourite solution is to actually scrap the offside rule altogether. In today's environment I don't think managers' would accept a 'goal hanger' - all are expected to work! It would also 'stretch' the pitch allowing more room for more skilful football.
  • I think you’d be surprised how quickly teams would employ a goal hanger in that situation
  • alderz said:

I think you’d be surprised how quickly teams would employ a goal hanger in that situation

The offside rule in hockey used to be more or less the same as in football, but that was scrapped without it drastically affecting how the game was played. It eliminates trying to play the offside trap, but if a team wants to leave someone very far forward, the defending team leaves a defender or 2 back there marking him.

I'd be really happy to see it tried, for instance, in the League Cup just to see what difference it makes to games in practice, apart from eliminating arguments about offside decisions. Can't see it happening though.
  • alderz said:

Absolutely. I think we would feel less aggrieved too if the decision was not in your favour.
  • edited October 2020
    Just seen VVD needs surgery on his ACL injury caused by Pickford. Genuinely disgraceful tackle.
  • Yeah, he should be getting retrospective action taken against him, IMO.
  • We would definitely have our work cut out playing against him, but nonetheless, the Prem is poorer not having VVD in it, so I hope he recovers well.
  • Don't get me wrong, I'm happy we don't have to play against him

But as already mentioned its bad for the league that this has happened

Also worth noting that VVD is 29, this type of injury at his age could mean we've seen the best of VVD
  • Dunk got a red for a similar but less violent two footed tackle on Cahill today, and rightly so. Pickford foul needs to be addressed.
  • Unfortunately keepers always get more protection against challenges, and more protection from punishment than outfield players. It was a shocking challenge, and, anywhere else on the pitch it would have been reviewed regardless of a possible offside beforehand.
  • Breakfast will be interesting in the Oliver household this morning. Michael didn't send off Pickford at Goodison on Saturday and to balance it up his wife (Lucy) showed two yellow cards to a Brighton player in the womens match v Everton yesterday & she didn't send her off either!
  • We're in safe hands.....😱
  • Apparently VAR reviewed the Pickford challenge and decided it did not warrant a red card. No retrospective action can be taken against him because the officials and VAR saw the incident.
    The challenge was worthy of a jail sentence let alone a red card. It could have and still might have virtually ended his career.
  • I wish they would just admit when they've made a mistake and say that clearly Pickford should have been sent off.

They always try and save face and it makes them look ridiculous.
  • On more than one occasion on the bbc it has been commented that West Brom’s new c/f, Grant, is doing Tarkowski for pace.
  • To be fair, wouldn't you expect a striker to be faster?
  • Diangana with some clever play. There's going to be lot of scrutiny of Benrahma to see whether we wasted £12m.
  • Diangana looks very good, its almost a shame that apart from Pereira they don't seem to have any Prem level players

Looking pretty worrying for them already

Let's buy him back next year
  • Does the 20% sell-on fee count as a discount if we do?
  • The ref at the. Leeds game is the VAR ref who didn’t think Pickford deserved a red card.
  • No guesses who is the VAR official. Mr Oliver.
  • No guesses who is the VAR official. Mr Oliver.

Could have been worse, could have been his Mrs.
  • It now seems that Coote didn’t know the VAR rules and could have looked closely at Pickford’s challenge. He thought the offside nullified everything that happens after. If that was the case what’s stopping someone lamping somebody after they’ve been given offside.
  • Well you can already be sent off after the final whistle has been blown in a game?