RIP John Murphy 1961 - 2020

13»

Comments

• A big virtual hug from me and the rest of the Sledge family. Try to be happy for the good times you had xx
  • Mrs G my sincerest condolences.

I was lucky enough to have met John at the WBA Beano. We spent a lot of time chewing the fat. What a character and, this is such a sad loss to the WHU and 606 family.

RIP Grey

Best wishes, Col
  • I haven’t been on the site for a while so I’ve only just found out that John had sadly passed away.
    I met John once when a few of us met up at the black lion in Plaistow and than went on to the game at the Boleyn.
    My deepest condolences to you and thank you for keeping the site going.
  • This is just terrible news, it has been a while since I logged on, there are numerous reasons for this but I was truly saddened to hear of Greys passing, I can only endorse the many comments made earlier, this forum is a testament to his character, and as we enter MLK day over here, character is all that we have and all that counts.
  • Mrs G - I have not been on this site for some time for many reasons. I am very sorry to hear of your loss when for reasons set out below I logged in today after a long absence.. Like many on this site I never met John but had several PMs from him as I relate below. His devotion to this site and West Ham were legendary.
    The reason I looked in on this site is that 21 February is a special day. 10 years ago at 12.50 pm in my lunch hour I was on this site reading comments from people about our 5-1 thrashing of Burnley in the FA Cup. It was a game I listened to on the radio and like so many in a season best forgotten that game offered at that time offered a ray of hope that sadly never materialised.
    At 12.51 I was on the floor watching furniture fly around the office.
    The question I have been asked most in recent days is what were you doing when the quake struck. I get strange looks from some not all when I say I was on a West ham website savouring a victory.
    I well recall posting my experiences on this site when eventually I got home and things had settled as much as they could.
    I remember the the response & best wishes I received on the site and those who PM'd me. One of those was John & his kind words and best wishes were hugely appreciated. Another I recall was Sledge. I am sure they are both together enjoying the current season.
    Kind regards
    Crusading
  • Last night i was thinking of Grey and how he would have loved this season ,Never met or even spoke to him so to spend a moment thinking of him shows what he ment to this site .I just hope where ever he is he has a smile on his face .Also sending best wishes and hugs to Mrs Grey .Hope you to had a smile for him yesterday
  • My sincerest and heartfelt condolences. You're in my thoughts and prayers.