Transfer Deadline Day: It's weird because it's October

Comments

• Maybe.

But we also had three months of the international window to address the issue.

Left back has been a problem for a while now. We've actually managed to find a system that brings the best out of both of our current left back options, albeit at centre back and wing back, but personally a new left back (or LWB since the change of formation) needed to be a priority in July.
  • Maybe.

But we also had three months of the international window to address the issue.

Left back has been a problem for a while now. We've actually managed to find a system that brings the best out of both of our current left back options, albeit at centre back and wing back, but personally a new left back (or LWB since the change of formation) needed to be a priority in July.

I agree with this, think we have made a mistake here and I thought LB was the #1 position we needed strengthening

But the motion that we should just be targeting young and hungry players (who may not be that good) isn't a good model and was why we got left with Hugill

They have to be young, hungry and also talented....like Bowen......which is a potential reason why Moyes doesn't want to commit to a championship player unless he knows they will be more Bowen then Hugill

I'm not a scout and my left back knowledge is pretty thin, but maybe there just aren't that many good options out there and Moyes would rather wait a year...or he may see it as we have 2 left backs at the club so getting a 3rd isn't the right move
  • Moyes will have a pretty simple view; we have Masuaku & Cresswell, both experienced at PL level (particularly Cresswell).

Can he find a player that is 1) more experienced &/or 2) better. That is hard. No point in signing anybody just cos they are younger.
  • edited October 2020
    We need another option at LWB/ LB if we are to play a back 5 as we are one injury away (Masuaku) from messing up our whole formation. That for me is a reason to get someone who is back up (irrespective of age) .... Similar to our reason for getting Dawson to cover CB.
  • edited October 2020
    I don't think we're going to get another LB/LWB

We have two options at LWB; Masuaku and Cresswell

At the moment we play Cresswell as a CB and Masuaku as LWB, if either of them is injured then Diop or Dawson comes in to cover at CB.

If both of them are injured Johnson gets a run out.
  • It absolutely baffles me that people think Cresswell can play LWB in the premier league.
  • edited October 2020
    alderz said:

It absolutely baffles me that people think Cresswell can play LWB in the premier league.

Not quick enough, not mobile enough and rarely takes on his man, let alone beats him. Yes, he's proven that he can cross the ball well, but needs to get in the position to do it more often than not, and he just doesn't do that from the flank.

He's done well at LCB and that should probably be his position now. As should LWB be for Masuaku. Cresswell has cover; Arthur does not.
    Lukerz said:

Moyes will have a pretty simple view; we have Masuaku & Cresswell, both experienced at PL level (particularly Cresswell).

Can he find a player that is 1) more experienced &/or 2) better. That is hard. No point in signing anybody just cos they are younger.

It's probably easier with a scouting network. I'm sure in world football there are better LBs/LWBs within our price range, but we haven't got the infrastructure in place to identify them.
  • edited October 2020

It's probably easier with a scouting network. I'm sure in world football there are better LBs/LWBs within our price range, but Salthouse hasn't got them on his books.

Fixed it for you 👍
  • edited October 2020

It's probably easier with a scouting network. I'm sure in world football there are better LBs/LWBs within our price range, but Salthouse hasn't got them on his books.

Fixed it for you 👍
    Salthouse does have a few LBs on his books. Ryan Sessegnon is the most highly valued at £22.5m (transfermarkt.com), so out of our reach; his next most valuable LB is Cresswell at £5.85m, so little wonder we haven't been linked to any of his players.
  • If Masuaku is injured, hopefully Johnson can play there. Otherwise I think we’ll go to a back 4 again. I wonder if Snodgrass could play as a wingback. At least he has more attacking ability than Cresswell, even if he won’t offer much pace.
  • edited October 2020

If Masuaku is injured, hopefully Johnson can play there. Otherwise I think we’ll go to a back 4 again. I wonder if Snodgrass could play as a wingback. At least he has more attacking ability than Cresswell, even if he won’t offer much pace.

Pace is key at wing-back. That's why Fredericks' and Masuaku's game improved when we switched formation; both have the pace to get up and down the flanks quickly with less defensive responsibility. Snodgrass would struggle there, IMO, and would offer as little as Cresswell.
  • If Masuaku is injured, hopefully Johnson can play there. Otherwise I think we’ll go to a back 4 again. I wonder if Snodgrass could play as a wingback. At least he has more attacking ability than Cresswell, even if he won’t offer much pace.

Pace is key at wing-back. That's why Fredericks' and Masuaku's game improved when we switched formation; both have the pace to get up and down the flanks quickly with less defensive responsibility. Snodgrass would struggle there, IMO, and would offer as little as Cresswell.
    I don’t want to see him there. I think Johnson would be first choice. But think he’d offer a bit more than Cresswell if we were forced. Can’t see what other options we have unless there’s a young player who can step up. I don’t really want to see a back 4 with Cresswell.
  • If everyone is of the opinion that it's clear to see that we need a LWB then I can only presume that Moyes & Co are training and improving someone we already have to cover the role. Perhaps he's happy with his lot?
  • yoyo said:

If everyone is of the opinion that it's clear to see that we need a LWB then I can only presume that Moyes & Co are training and improving someone we already have to cover the role. Perhaps he's happy with his lot?

That or he doesn't mind swapping back to a back 4 like we didn't season that worked well
  • edited October 2020

If Masuaku is injured, hopefully Johnson can play there. Otherwise I think we’ll go to a back 4 again. I wonder if Snodgrass could play as a wingback. At least he has more attacking ability than Cresswell, even if he won’t offer much pace.

I don’t want to see him there. I think Johnson would be first choice. But think he’d offer a bit more than Cresswell if we were forced. Can’t see what other options we have unless there’s a young player who can step up. I don’t really want to see a back 4 with Cresswell.
    Longelo is the U23 option I think. Came on against Hull (I think) but struggled a bit, so not sure he's ready for the step-up.

I don't think it'll be too long before Masuaku is either injured or suspended, so I guess we'll find out what Moyes' Plan B is soon enough.
  • It’s not just injury/suspension - we are bound to be hit by COVID again
  • Just seen an article on Claret&Hugh, with Carlton Cole lauding the possible signing of Benrahma.
    This is accompanied by a photo of Carlton with Diangana - someone has a sense of humour!! 😢
  • Fredericks could cover as a WB on either side. Has the pace and with less defensive duties could cover either. He's due to be available for the weekend.
  • edited October 2020
    Even though it's loan, I find its very telling no one has been interested enough in the signing for a welcome Dawson thread.
  • Sky reporting that it looks like Benrhama is on. I know it's greedy but I would have like King as well
  • I would think Haller is blocking Kings place
  • It's on until he sees our training facilities
  • ibl, so he should as he is a much better player.
  • ibl, so he should as he is a much better player.

I disagree with this, how can anyone judge haller when we don’t play to his strengths imo it’s like putting Antonio in goal and saying he’s no good, by all means sell him because he doesn’t fit into the system but to slate him in my opinion is unfair and unjust
  • edited October 2020
    Cuz, I read Fortune's comment as Haller being the better player.
  • Well I read blocking as preventing a better player getting their chance.
  • IH, context dear boy, context. =)
    ya pays yer money, ya takes yer chance. =)
  • Fortuneseeker, if that’s the case I apologise to you 👍
  • Cuz, no worries. I believe imho Haller is a better player than we have had the opportunity to see due to us not playing to his strengths but regrettably he isn’t the first to be managed like that. The common theme in this situation is Mr Moyes.
  • Pellegrini didn’t much either, to be fair.
This discussion has been closed.