Carabao Cup .... vs Charlton .... The Match Thread

Comments

• interesting choice of captain

Who please?
  • edited September 2020
    Balbuena has the armband

He was captain a few times at Corinthians and he captained Paraguay in a friendly against Japan last year
  • I'm pleased with the line up. Gives some a chance.
  • We should smash them. But I will settle for a comfy slippers and cardigan sort of win.

You know it makes sense.
  • I'm surprised there's been no changes yet. Most of these have barely played in 6 or 7 months, they must be blowing
  • edited September 2020
    Cullen fouled by Charlie Parker. Tripped him with a saxophone?

Oh, its Barker...
  • Assist for Lanzini too. I know it's only Charlton, but Lanzini, Anderson and Haller getting goals or assists will hopefully give a confidence boost.
  • Coventry on for Snodgrass, Ashby on for Johnson
  • Always liked Anderson =)
  • interesting choice of captain

Who please?
    Hopefully give him confidence because I think he can defend he just hasn’t shown it consistently yet for us
  • Jobi McAnuff equalises for Leyton Orient v Plymouth (2-2)
  • Was happy with Cullen, Masuaku, Johnson, Anderson, Haller & Lanzini.

I know it was Charlton, but I felt their attitude was spot on & all played very well.

Yarmolenko, Diop, Balbuena = meh.
  • happy happy joy joy, i like wins
  • Lukerz said:

Yarmolenko, Diop, Balbuena = meh.

I didn’t watch it but Yarmolenko was getting lots of praise on twitter and Talksport.
  • Well done the hammers
  • I hear Lanzini and Cullen did well tonight.
  • Leeds or hull next then
  • Some big questions for Moyes now with Lanzini, Cullen and Galler making cases to start (tbf sounds like everyone did well)
  • I would like to see Masuaku and Haller come into the side, with Cresswell and Noble coming out. Potentially Cullen and/or Anderson coming in too.
  • If anybody wants to see the highlights, they are available here:
  • I keep watching Cullen's long-range volley to release Yarmolenko. It is a thing of beauty, and almost identical to Alan Curbishley's volley in the 1978 match against Liverpool; the only difference is, that time we somehow didn't score. We need more of this to unlock defenses.
  • alderz said:

I would like to see Masuaku and Haller come into the side, with Cresswell and Noble coming out. Potentially Cullen and/or Anderson coming in too.

Think Lanzini has done enough tonight and preseason to replace Fornals

I agree though on what you said, but also Johnson for Frederick's

Fab
    Johnson Diop Oggy Masuaku
    Rice Soucek
    Bowen Lanzini Antonio
    Haller

Would like to see this ar some point
  • I like that line up. Like the idea of Bowen and Lanzini working a crossing opportunity with Haller, Antonio from the other wing and Soucek from deep lining up for headers. Potentially a lot of goals there.
  • I don't think Moyes will want to start Haller and Antonio on a regular basis, they're the only proven strikers he has (Xande Silva still a bit of an unknown as far as the Prem is concerned). If one gets injured then he's not got much to bring off the bench should be need to change things apart from playing Yarmolenko or Anderson up front.
  • Don't think beggars can be choosers though ASLEF. Can't play Antonio up front on his own so better to play Haller up front with Antonio joining from the wing.
  • edited September 2020
    IronHerb said:

Don't think beggars can be choosers though ASLEF. Can't play Antonio up front on his own so better to play Haller up front with Antonio joining from the wing.

That simply isn't true. We started the last 9 games at the end of last season 4-2-3-1 with Antonio as our lone striker and he scored 9 out of 12 goals with Haller only coming on as a substitute.

He scored four goals against Norwich in 75 minutes before he was replaced by Haller.

Seriously?!?!?!? Did you even watch any of our games after lockdown?
  • Thought Anderson was pretty good last night. Thought his attitude was decent.
  • Watched them all thanks ASLEF. Did you watch him against Newcastle? Pretty poor as a lone striker imo.
  • IronHerb said:

Watched them all thanks ASLEF. Did you watch him against Newcastle? Pretty poor as a lone striker imo.

By that logic Rice isn't a DM and Bowen isn't a Right winger......both were poor against Newcastle