Covid19: Support and Chat

Comments

• The same to you jay. :ok:
  • A 99 year old WWII Captain has raised £3 million for the NHS by doing 100 laps of his garden. His original aim was to reach a £1,000 target. :bowdown: :bowdown:
  • Make that £4.2m :clap:
  • £6m now :bowdown: :clap:
  • Slow down Tom :lol:
  • Sign him up, sign him up, sign him up
  • 8 and a half million now
  • See your 8.5 million and raise you to 9 million.
  • See your 9 and raise you to 12
  • Curses! :lol:

Sit down Tom, sit down.
  • edited April 2020
    At that rate, I wonder how much Mark Noble could raise. :biggrin:
  • Moves at same speed.
  • 13.23 and rising
  • Moves at same speed.

Generous thorn. ;)
  • There goes 15m
  • Just think for that You’d get nearly a third of Anderson beggars belief
  • Probably just doubled the NHS budget for 2020.
  • Be interesting to know where the money’s going because if it’s just given to the NHS it will probably be wasted by the various levels of management.
  • You are so right Thorn
    My wife is a retired senior sister and ward manager and she says all the money raised by these people will just be swallowed up in one big pot.
    If that wonderful man tom and other fund raisers specifically said we would like our money to buy this certain equipment that would be fine but just handing it over to the nhs is the same as giving money to the government.
  • It’s nothing new Mike. My wife worked for the NHS many years ago and left because she couldn’t bear to see the amount of money just being thrown away. The last straw came when she organised and ran a training program for nursing staff but it was mostly managers who attended because for them it was a jolly.
    Another thing that annoyed her was the amount of various material she and sent to hospitals only for it to not reach its intended destination because whoever signed for it couldn’t be bothered to make sure it went where it was supposed to but merely got stuck in storage.
  • Reading the news these days I am really glad I am living in Germany. The system here is not perfect by a long way but compared to other countries it is heaven.
  • Munich :ok: same here in Canada
  • I heard an interview with the woman who runs an umbrella organisation for the NHS charities, and the crux of what she said the money raised would go to rest and recuperation for NHS staff ie treats for the actual staff, not for the NHS itself. Hopefully this is true and it benefits those it was intended for.
  • Anyone watching the #TogetherAtHome? Reminds me of Live Aid back in 1985, even though it's obviously so very, very different.
  • edited April 2020
    At least this time we don't have to listen to Status Quo...
  • edited April 2020

At least this time we don't have to listen to Status Quo...

I don’t mind their music, in fact I la la la like it, la la la like it........
  • Rossi's ice cream or Rossi's Status Quo? Given a choice.... :icecream:
  • Now I've got a hankering from Rum & Raisin...
  • I heard an interview with the woman who runs an umbrella organisation for the NHS charities, and the crux of what she said the money raised would go to rest and recuperation for NHS staff ie treats for the actual staff, not for the NHS itself. Hopefully this is true and it benefits those it was intended for.

I really hope this is true as my thought when reading about Captain Tom (I so wish he would have risen to rank of Major during his service) were that the 20m will not go very far. It's also quite surprising how the Govt have largely avoided any kick back as before this virus a private individual raising money for the NHS would have caused quite a storm as it is the Govts job to ensure it is funded and fit for purpose. It's a strange thing to observe how quick the narrative that is accepted can change regard the public and the mechanics regard how that happens.

A more general comment regard the virus is that my fear is that it is going to rip through developing countries as soon as they reopen. There is little doubt we are not in isolation with a view to eradicating the virus but simply to allow the capacity to cope with its strain upon the health service to be established, something most countries acknowledge. In places like India however there is lockdown but aside from the big cities which are as well prepared as ours there is simply no ability to cope with the virus and it will sadly just rip through and the numbers could be huge as so many people live in such close proximity.
  • edited April 2020
    Claret :ok: There's a lot of research coming out on the potential harm for developing countries (reporting on these has been one of my main duties recently). Unfortunately there are a lot of countries like Malawi with 7 ventilators. Many countries only have proper ICU units in their capitals. There is no proper safety net for informal labourers (who make up most of the world's economy) - some in cities get food handouts but that's not good for social distancing and doesn't cover a lot of people. Many are abused by security forces - fewer people in Nigeria have been killed by coronavirus than police enforcing lockdowns. When it comes to PPE, they'll be last in line behind countries who can spend more and have had their crisis earlier.

Most developing countries immediately imposed restrictions and lockdowns after their first cases (or even before they had one), which has helped them a lot but I don't know how long they can do this for. They'll need their debt cancelled and funding to allow spending on health systems (not individual diseases that are pet projects of western NGOs).