West Ham Vs Brighton 6 point battle (1 Feb match thread)

Comments

• I’m sorry but that is nonsense.

What’s the plan? Noble sits on the bench so Sanchez can play?
  • He kind of has. He’s been quoted as saying that at his age there should be younger players challenging for his place and making it more difficult for him to be selected but unfortunately there aren’t.
    Maybe the new guy who played today will be that player.
  • Noble should have been replaced by the management of this club. It’s not his fault he is the best we have to offer and the way people go after him - particularly after our centre backs and goalkeeper have been the standout terrible players - is exactly why we don’t get loyal players anymore, imo.
  • If Noble really is Mr. West Ham, if he truly loves the club as much as he claims (and I don't doubt him), he should acknowledge he needs to withdraw himself from the first team.

He is never going to do that.

He will always back himself and so should he.
  • edited February 2020
    Credit to the Brighton manager whose substitutions targeted our left side and we crumbled. Masuaku should have been the right player to replace Antonio to counteract this but he had a shocking 15 minutes. Astonishing how poor we looked after Antonio came off. How can the confidence of so many players disappear so quickly ? This feels like more than 2 points lost - it feels like any fragile self belief we may have had had is now history. The team need a psychologist more than a manager at the moment.
  • The substitutions today made sense at the time but nobody could have predicted the chaos or catastrophe our defence would cause despite the fact that we do it virtually every game.
  • Haller needs to work like Antonio. I dont think he is giving his all yet.
  • At least Moyes said he was angry and let the players know it.
  • I bet he isn’t as angry as most of us and he does have some control over who is selected, tactics etc.
  • Just back from the game, and I must say a couple of pretty strong margaritas can dull the pain. We had 3 points in the bag, and gifted them, 2 goals, wrapped them up like birthday presents and put a bow on them. Brighton are a low average side, and we must have heard their laughter in the away changing room. I expect they are halfway down the A23 and are on their 2nd case of Stella.
    Poor Nobes had a stinker, I think he knows it more than anybody, but this has to be his last season as a regular starter. I’m starting to worry about Haller. He is obviously class, but I’m not sure he wants it enough, there is not much fight about him. DM does not appear to know when to switch players around. The first time I saw any player warming up ready to come on was 20 minutes from the end and it was Zaba. As a squad, we miss too many decent chances, and make too many mistakes. At 3-2 it looked like we were going to chuck all 3 points away, heads dropped very badly.
    Positives. Tomas looks the real deal, but is probably not full match fit. Fab saves us a couple every game, Declan still looks class, but can be at home to Madame faux pas.
    We wait in hope for the messiah that is Jarrod Bowen, and hope he is not a very naughty boy. And one question, when did Lanzini turn into a butterfly. Two questions, actually, why is there var when it gets a decision wrong?
  • Hadn’t realised that was Murray’s first PL goal this season.
  • Sorry but there is no way that goal should have stood.

The ref disallowed it & nothing in VAR could categorically say that it didn’t touch his arm. For me he controlled it via a mixture of arm/torso.
  • VAR doesn’t look to categorically say it didn’t touch his arm but that categorically it did touch his arm. As it couldn’t do that then the goal had to stand.
    What’s more to the point he shouldn’t have been unmarked in the area in the first place and it wouldn’t have been an issue.
    Every game we allow players to be unmarked on numerous occasions but rarely are we allowed the same freedom.
  • What’s more to the point he shouldn’t have been unmarked in the area in the first place

Especially not HIM
  • VAR cannot be totally 100% sure with handball, as today, or offside, so when there is doubt the decision should revert to whatever the referee or linesman decided, as in cricket.
  • And he held fabs other hand in the build up to first goal so fab could only punch one handed so that one should have been disallowed too
  • edited February 2020
    Their 2nd goal was obviously caused by a lack of communication between the Polish goalkeeper and the French and Italian centre backs
  • Where are the boiled eggs?
  • When the VAR wait gives a West Ham fan enough time to get philosophical
  • alderz said:

Noble should have been replaced by the management of this club. It’s not his fault he is the best we have to offer and the way people go after him - particularly after our centre backs and goalkeeper have been the standout terrible players - is exactly why we don’t get loyal players anymore, imo.

If he was better at his job then the defence would be under less pressure. He runs around pointing and does very little else.

“Believe me, I’m feeling the pain. At the age of 33 in May you’re looking to enjoy the last couple of years of your career, but when you’re fighting relegation battles, trust me it’s not enjoyable." That to me sounds like someone who thinks he is owed a living.
  • Their 2nd goal was obviously caused by a lack of communication between the Polish goalkeeper and the French and Italian centre backs

Do you genuinely think the issue with conceding that goal was a language/nationality one?
  • It was nothing to do with language.
  • A lot to do with incompetence. When in doubt, boot it out.
  • According to Chris Foy Michael Oliver disallowed their equaliser after the goal was scored but didn’t blow his whistle. He said had he whistled for handball when it hit Murray the ball would have been dead and VAR could not overrule it.
  • According to Chris Foy Michael Oliver disallowed their equaliser after the goal was scored but didn’t blow his whistle. He said had he whistled for handball when it hit Murray the ball would have been dead and VAR could not overrule it.

I must be thick
  • edited February 2020
    Suze, Whitehorse,
    Unbelievable, has there been a humour lobotomy on this thread? Of course it was meant as a joke.
    Just shows how nervous everyone is.
    Really surprised how you could think otherwise. Oh wait a minute I see I forgot to add a smiley.
    Here you are.
    :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
  • edited February 2020
    Bubbles

Not sure why you believe I’ve had my sense of humour removed. Given you know me not at all.

You made a statement, I asked a question.

All you needed to say was, no I don’t believe that, I was just having a laugh.

Also, not everyone finds the same thing funny. So don’t take that we didn’t laugh personally.
  • Talking of VAR bizarre goings on at Spurs. Took VAR over 2 minutes to award City a penalty during which time it is feasible that City could have scored. Imagine the outcry when the goal had to be disallowed to give the penalty which they then missed.
  • edited February 2020
    Suze, I absolutely did not "take that we didn’t laugh" personally. I was just amazed that anyone would take it seriously, but as I said before, I forgot to add a smiley.
    :ok:
  • edited February 2020
    Thorn

It was 6 minutes of total madness :wahoo:

Penalty check by VAR whilst the game continued - given
    Penalty - saved (It was quite awful)
    Penalty check by VAR (did Lori’s bring down Sterling in the resulting chaos) - not given

A couple of yellow cards given.

This discussion has been closed.