West Ham v Gillingham (A) FA Cup 3rd Round (05.01.20-KO 18:16) Match Thread

Comments

• Pretty textbook performance in a tricky tie, the kind we have really struggled with recently.

Moyesiah.
  • Thank G-d we have Fab back...He didn't have so much to do, but so comforting knowing he's there, fair play, not a great performance IMO but we got the desired result, not sure I agree with Declan being BT's MOM, but what do I know....
  • Good to have a manager who cares about FA Cup - and a winner too.

Well played Gillingham, class today in the end
  • Zaba and Rice being interviewed.

Father and son :lol:
  • Amazing what happens when the club actually bother to field a strong team. Let's go on a cup run...
  • Has to be said that we were poor in the first half - clearly the Moysiah had a word in their shell likes and we ended up putting in a more professional performance in the second.

Overall, well done WHU, COYI
  • From the BBC:

No West Ham player has been directly involved in more goals in all competitions this season than Pablo Fornals (three goals, four assists).

Imagine what he will be like when he settles in a bit more :wahoo:
  • Dodger58 said:

The more I see of Fornals the more I like him. He’s made a difference since coming on and now has a goal for his efforts

He was also the one who made the whole break work with his flick-on to Haller, so glad he finished it off.
  • Rice: I’ve not seen my cut, I hope it’s not too bad.
    Zaba: I had 42 stitches in one season.

:lol:
  • We were not good 1st half, because Gillingham - fair play - played a turbo charged game and made it tough. But 2nd half our quality showed. And for once the scoreline reflected it.
  • That'll do donkey
  • Terrible first half, much improved second half and, in the end, a good result.

Let's enjoy tonight because we all know it'll be Liverpool in Round 4.
  • More than happy with that.

Always expect 70% of the game to be a slog, it’s just about matching them for effort, defending well, concentrating & not being behind.

Then in that 30%, making sure you score a goal or two.

COYI
  • Jay

1st half I'd agree: 2nd half I really enjoyed watching us.
  • Respect due to Gillingham they had a right go but our back line was superb I thought.
    So good to see us go toe to toe and come out on top.We should’ve had two pens though.
    Blimey we’ve won a cup tie at a lower league side.
  • 2 clean sheets in a row :thumbsup:
  • You are welcome.

:biggrin:
  • Can Karen Carney watch us every week please? She turns up, we win, :lol:
  • edited January 2020
    Decent second half. Fredericks looks like he is out for the long haul. Hopefully not as bad as Antonio's hamstring that was out for a few months with.

wrong thread :(

Thanks, mods :biggrin:
  • Since 2014, we’ve had 15 FA Cup ties. We’ve been drawn away from home for a whopping 11 of those ties!
  • I’m starting to love Fornals. Think he’s got bags of talent and could be a special player in the future.

And he works really hard, too.
  • Agricultural first half, and in the 2nd half after Jethro Tull invented the seed drill, flute and codpiece we seemed to find our feet.
  • edited January 2020

I’m starting to love Fornals. Think he’s got bags of talent and could be a special player in the future.

And he works really hard, too.

:whistle:
  • edited January 2020
    So when was the last time two Pablo’s scored in the same game for West Ham?
  • IronHerb said:

So when was the last time two Pablo’s scored in the same game for West Ham?

Like... About an hour and a half ago.
  • Ninguno
  • In my view had Pelle continued his team selection as in previous cup ties Gillingham would have seen us off. They battled really hard and just lacked the class we had in our eleven.

Moyes respected them and the cup and that's why we are in the next round.

Still finding Pelle's selection against Wimbledon last season hard to take.

Hopefully a home draw to any side outside the premiership awaits.
  • Pelle has gone. No need to worry about it. Anyway, Moyes has to put a strong team out because a defeat would have been a disaster for him.
  • This wasnt a good performance, but it's this exact type of game against lowly opposition we have lost in the past

Take the win and move forward
This discussion has been closed.