West Ham v Gillingham (A) FA Cup 3rd Round (05.01.20-KO 18:16) Match Thread

Comments

• Well that just about woke me up :biggrin:
  • Another shirt grab in the area, this time on Zaba.

Ref is a bit of a homer, methinks.
  • Zaba fouled.

Free kick given to Gills.

Zaba complained.

Zaba booked.
  • This ref is a hommer :angry:
  • Bob Madley's younger brother, enough said....
  • Another VAR penalty from foul Zab gets booked for :-(
  • MrsGrey said:

I suppose because where it’s available both teams are using it but where it’s not neither team is

But it undermines the integrity of the competition imo, if there are different rules for different matches.

Imagine if in some matches the FA said they were short of linos so in some ties the ref would do all the officiating.
    I think it undermines the competition if it was a league competition. In a league, the games of one match are very important to all teams. In a cup competition, not so much, particularly because the draw is random.
  • 10 minutes, plus stoppage time, left.

COYI
  • Is that goal the best thing Zaba has done in football ,cant remember him doing to much for city :biggrin: :whistle:
  • edited January 2020
    My brother keeps on messaging me saying the result is the most important thing, perhaps he has a point...( I won't tell him I agree though !! ) ...
  • Interesting how VAR would have treated Zabas yellow card, he did seem to go down easily but the replay clearly showed that his shirt was tugged
  • VAR at this game.

We have two pens.
  • BT have made Declan MOM
  • Steve Sidwell.

Who had to think about it.

We could smell the smoke in Woolwich.
  • edited January 2020
    Adam said:

MrsGrey said:

I suppose because where it’s available both teams are using it but where it’s not neither team is

But it undermines the integrity of the competition imo, if there are different rules for different matches.

Imagine if in some matches the FA said they were short of linos so in some ties the ref would do all the officiating.
    I think it undermines the competition if it was a league competition. In a league, the games of one match are very important to all teams. In a cup competition, not so much, particularly because the draw is random.
    In addition, clubs get ££ depending on how they progress. If a club goes out early because the ref gets it wrong and there's no VAR, they lose out financially compared to a club who benefits from VAR.
    Also, players sent off are then unavailable for league games, so decisions in the cup can affect league performance.
  • Jay

I almost always feel the opposite (unless we're playing Chelsea, or deep in relegation trouble.) For me, if we play well and create chances I'm not so bothered about the result.
  • It’s unreasonable to have some games in the same round of the same competition have VAR and others not.
  • But Grey IMO we haven't played that well, so I actually feel my brother is right, tonight it's all about the result & confidence building....Over 2 u Grey....
  • :goal:

Fornals
  • Game , Set & Match
  • Fornals :wahoo:

Becoming a bit of a :footie:
  • FORNALS!!!!!!!
  • Really pleased for Fornals, he is coming good :goal:
  • :wahoo: :wahoo: :wahoo:
  • happy happy joy joy
  • The more I see of Fornals the more I like him. He’s made a difference since coming on and now has a goal for his efforts
  • Pleased for him deffo turning into a good player last 6/8 games so Recruitment does work for us
  • sanchez on 2-2 anyone :lol:
This discussion has been closed.