West Ham v Southampton (A) 14th Dec @ 17:30 - When the Saints go marching...

Comments

• We looked seriously knackered last 20 mins we really need some better option than Sánchez to come on , think Pellegrini only played two up as Anderson was injured/ill
  • edited December 2019
    A good performance on the whole and a good win. Finally Pelle begins to do the obvious and allow us to use two attackers resulting in both Haller and Antonio being a threat and getting a goal each (even though one didn't count). Unfortunately the very same Pelle tried to mess the whole thing up by introducing Sanchez for Haller...… surely Diop was always the call?

My biggest frustration is once again the refereeing. My question for the FA or Premier league whoever take the decision is do you feel that the game should be refereed the same inside the penalty area as it is in the rest of the pitch? if so why not simply send a memo to all refs including VAR monitors?

Atkinson also terrible as I could see no reason why Ings goal shouldn't of stood? gald it didn't and evened up the penalty decision but decisions once again deciding matches rather than football.
  • Maybe, just, maybe Pelle has found a partnership up front because of an injury/illness. Similar to when Paul Goddard got injured in the first game of the 1985/86 season & TC and Frankie Mc got paired together and became one of, if not, the best pair of strikers we have had. :thumbsup:
  • Playing 2 up front and we turn in a proper performance and could have had 3 or 4 goals.Seems the penny finally dropped.
    I thought the ref.and linos were abysmal.
  • Happy happy joy joy
  • Two up front definitely seemed to work for us tonight.

Now what I'd like to see, assuming Pellegrini has bought himself another month, is this formation persevered with. And then, if we continue to improve, for the board to finance a number of additions to enhance it.

Notably:

1) A strong, quick striker to give us another option up front.

2) A strong, quick midfielder to allow us to be able to play two in centre midfield and not rely on Carlos 'Sunday League' Sanchez.

3) A strong, quick winger who can get beat his full-back and provide crosses for the two strong, quick strikers.
  • OCS,

Here are a few suggestions -

1) Jovic on loan from Real Madrid.

2) Kessie from Milan

3) Diangana back, once he has got over his injury, from WBA? Add 1) and Antonio can do number 3)

:ok:
  • 4-4-2 absolutely the way forward :ok:
  • Happy for Fornals. He seems to be getting better each game. Still seems a bit wasteful at times though.
  • Another assist though. Three in recent weeks and seems to be benefiting from a run in the side.

Maybe next season we'll see the best of him.
  • Missed the 2nd half but in the first we looked comfortable on the ball and strong in defense. Great to see 4 4 2 but not sure he can do this with Anderson and Yarmo as the wide players as they do not track back as much as Snodgrass and Fornals. Also nice to see Haller score as I had a wee bet on that. Were there any squeaky bum moments in the 2nd half and how did we play ?
  • Great win but I skipped a heartbeat every time Yarmalenko or Sanchez had the ball towards the end of the same. Neither has pace or control. We should fill their positions by promoting Diangano (recall from West Brom), Holland and Coventry.
  • I think Anderson would be good in support striker role. Get him in close to Haller and he could be dangerous
  • I feel like he likes carrying the ball from deep and in that role he'd have to do things more quickly. But his dribbling and passing ability would be perfect for it.
  • missed the second half but what I did see of Antonio's "handball" was the ball being kicked against him...how are you meant to avoid that?
  • Haller looked a different player with Antonio nearby.

Antonio himself was a monster.

Fornals is getting better and better and works his absolute socks off. Really starting to like him. Just still doing things half a second too slow at the moment, but understanding the pace of the league just comes from lots of games.

Keep this system and try and get some confidence back into Anderson and we'll cause anybody problems going forward.

Thought the away fans, as always, were class.
  • alderz said:

How on earth was that not a pen

Because it wasn't Bazzerpool
    Oh come on! We've not had a pen for at least 2 weeks :whome:
  • alderz said:

I think Anderson would be good in support striker role. Get him in close to Haller and he could be dangerous

I would much rather see him in the Lanzini (Moyes) role personally.
  • edited December 2019
    :wahoo:
  • Just the resultand performance a chap needs when recovering from successful surgery to remove a brain tumour...
  • Wow Grey, look after yourself, I'm sure Mrs G will look after you & help u to have a full speedy recovery :hug:
  • Just the resultand performance a chap needs when recovering from successful surgery to remove a brain tumour...

What!!!?

Grey :bowdown: all the best to you and Mrs G.

Wow, grey. I’m... wow

:hug:
  • I’m speechless, and right now Grey’s recovery is the only thing that should matter. Everything else To do with West Ham pales into insignificance right now.

Get well soon
  • Great win for West Ham and great news for Grey. :hug:
  • :wahoo:

:nonono: I turn my back for 5 minutes and you are doing wahoos. You are supposed to limit yourself to a slow shuffle as far as the nurses' station!!
  • Cheers everyone.

I have to be honest, apart froma quack drilling a hole in me Swede,, I feel proper chipper.
  • Cheers everyone.

I have to be honest, apart froma quack drilling a hole in me Swede,, I feel proper chipper.

Apologies grey
    For my lateness
    Hope you get well soon :hug:
  • And from me grey, :hug:
This discussion has been closed.