Couldn’t think.... part three

Comments

• edited December 2019
    Watching Burnley v City on Amazon, the teams are walking out to "Wake Up" by Arcade Fire

Damn. I'd accept Dyche as manager if he brings the DJ with him.
  • https://open.spotify.com/show/5vK22FRxc1VghAYzyemMZP?si=rXQ2mfZuQgC250xaQsiBRA

I listen to this podcast quite a lot. Last week they met with the West Ham kit man which was quite interesting. This week they interviewed Declan :ok:
  • Very sad news, Bob Willis, as much a hero as Botham if not more in the 1981 Headingley Ashes victory (8 for 43), has passed away at the age of 70 from cancer. I'd watched him on Sky during the Ashes this summer and thought he looked a little frail but didn't realise how ill he was.
    RIP Bob, and keep skittling them out up there.
  • Staying with cricket, but on a lighter note, has anyone seen this? I've even convinced my wife that cricket can be entertaining. :biggrin:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/video/2019/dec/05/south-african-spin-bowler-tabraiz-shamsi-celebrates-wicket-with-magic-trick-video

• Am I the only one posting on this thread? :whistle:
    Anyway, (just watching Mock the Week), lines you wouldn't hear in a Star Wars film:
    "Oh no, I'm not Darth Vader, I'm his Tory brother Tax Evader"
    :lol:
  • *The young Portuguese people will win a #GreenNewDeal
  • 5 years ago today

• Very interesting

Which to me shows that the biggest issue is and has probably always been our owners.

We sat third on Christmas Day that season. We lost our last two games in 2014

A chance, you would have thought, to make a couple of decent additions in Jan to really kick on and capitalise on a rare opportunity to secure European football (by virtue of league position). Enter Doneil Henry and Nene. The rest is history.

Roll forward a year - deja vu - our first season with Slav and an unbelievable start with probably even greater quality. Our excellent start results in our manager being rewarded by Eminike. We should have finished in the champions league spots.
  • For the majority of his career hes been called Robert (because he kept dropping the O)
  • After pausing for secs, I actually feel bad for him. HE's either a topic of derision or just plain negativity. Pexit should've protected him sooner

# :puzzled: :yercoat: :weep:
  • I wish we were playing today. It feels like everybody else has been invited to the party and we have been left off the guest list.
  • Yes, I feel the same with the lads all the way in Qatar ;) :run:
  • edited December 2019
    Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but has anyone else read about the spat on social media between Karren Brady and AC? Apparently the latter took exception to comments made about him by the former. Sometimes I just don’t know why Lady Brady feels the need to make certain comments when there is absolutely no reason to say anything at all.
  • Once again, she's displaying what a classless woman she is.

Someone is such a senior position should not be calling out people in such a public way; it lacks professionalism and integrity.

But then her boss is unlikely to pick her up on it, given that they're traits that he is all too familiar with.
  • Has a column in the Sun (I never thought to actually say writes). That's more than enough for me and I would never have known anything she says unless someone reports it here :hmm:
  • edited December 2019
    Interesting little insight into the managerial genius of Avram Grant from Rob Green :doh:

• Clearly he had questionable coaching abilities yet it was he, in the G&S era, who managed to find and sign our best defender and striker to date (Reid and Demba Ba)
  • Quite amazing to be honest but would not surprise me give how clueless we were.
  • So Greeno said the players changed tactics. We were relegated. That worked well Greeno
  • edited December 2019
    I remember we had a run when I genuinely thought we’d stay up. We beat Liverpool 3-1, Stoke 3-0 & got a 0-0 draw with Spurs. Signed Keane & Bridge in January & I thought ‘here we go’. Then we had that awful final 10 games where we basically lost them all.

To be fair to Grant, our team was awful. Piquionne, Jacobsen, Ben-Haim, Spector, Kovac, Boa Morte, da Costa, Boffin...

No wonder he thought a kip was the better idea...
  • edited December 2019
    I remember saying to a friend of mine that we were going to be relegated once we had appointed him. I so wanted to be proved wrong. :weep:
  • Lukerz said:

To be fair to Grant, our team was awful. Piquionne, Jacobsen, Ben-Haim, Spector, Kovac, Boa Morte, da Costa, Boffin...

Piquionne, Jacobsen, Ben-Haim and Boffin all signed while Avram was manager.

I was seriously underwhelmed with his appointment but after S&G said they'd be signing a "£100k a week striker" and we got Benni McCarthy it didn't come as much of a surprise when the "high-calibre manager with the necessary experience" turned out to be Avram.
  • edited December 2019
    Just opened a Xmas present from my youngest, "Tales from the Two Puddings" by its landlord from 1962 to 2000, Eddie Johnson.
    She had asked me if I knew the pub, so I sent her a couple of photos of me and some mates taken in there ca. 1968 :biggrin: Freaked her out!
    And how about this for a piece of trivia, Eddie Johnson's 4th son was the first Brit to be born a citizen of the EU.
This discussion has been closed.