West Ham vs Fulham(H) 745PM Friday February 22nd

1234568»

Comments

• 07967F23-56B5-4374-B0AE-B3D20F8714FC

Not worried, but aware that Diego Poyet has an eye on Lanzini.
  • ;hmm our old player?
  • Are you thinking of Simeone? ;hmm
  • edited February 2019

Are you thinking of Simeone? ;hmm

Yeah are you thinking of Simeone else? ;hmm
  • I thought you needed someone to fetch your coat(es)

b00e29a1657a80ba63c1910d29ad39c5
  • That's one helluva comb-over!
  • With or without Coat(es)

bb
  • edited February 2019
    How amazing is it to compare Javier Hernandez’ handball moment with the almost identical, if not far worse, handball by Wilson on Boxing Day 2017?

One was labelled a ‘cheat’, in the words of Caragher, with several articles the following morning & other pundits accusing him of deliberately gaining an advantage to score the goal.

The other, well I remember there being a good old laugh from pundits, the interviewer & player himself after the game, where it was suggested it may have come off his hand, he chuckles with a wry grin, & the pundits around the game chuckled back.

I’m sure to suggest either a West Ham bias or a touch of ‘ones a cheating Mexican’ whilst the other’s a ‘down to earth English lad’ is a bit strong & can’t be right, but just interesting. I’ll try & find the interview later.
  • edited February 2019
    I think I'm a tad late to the party.

Not seen the game on TV or any hightlights - only know what I know from being at the game.

Him_indoors tells me Hernandez handeled the ball into the net. Is this the case and did the pundits loss their minds over it ;hmm
  • edited February 2019
    From what I've seen he desperately tried to get his hand out of the way, but unfortunately failed to do so.

The officials seeing this honourable effort at total honesty then decided to let the goal stand.

;whistle
  • Suze

Mr VAR would certainly have ruled it out.

Don't know that the pundits were particularly having a go, but it was referenced as cheating by BBC and Sky heads, and it is telling how that term is used selectively. For example, cynical cheating by fouling a player on a breakaway is mostly seen as 'clever', or at worst 'taking one for the team'.
  • Even the Fulham defender on the post only half heartedly put his hand up in appeal.
  • Herb

;ok

Although Ranieri was pointing it out to the 4th official, and to be fair, got it spot on: he went with his head, but it came off his hand.
  • Lukerz ;ok

I've dug up the Guardian reports. For interest.

Headline of the 2017 match report : 'contentious Callum Wilson Goal' https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/dec/26/bournemouth-west-ham-united-premier-league-match-report and in the article -

Asked if it was handball, Wilson said: “I’m not sure where it touched me but I think it was. I’ve tried to head it and missed it. I have had to be a little bit smart about the situation, tell the referee I didn’t touch the ball and obviously once its given, you know it goes down as yours.

And in the Minute-by-minute: https://www.theguardian.com/football/live/2017/dec/26/clockwatch-manchester-united-v-burnley-chelsea-v-brighton-and-more-live Replays show that Wilson is obviously offside and not only interferes with play, but actually turns the ball into the net himself! West Ham’s players swarm around the referee, but the decision has been made!

Compare With: 2019 headline 'Hernandez on hand' (see what they did there?) https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/feb/22/west-ham-fulham-premier-league-match-report and 'Javier Hernández punched home a goal and changed the course of a game'

and from the minute-by-minute
    'That is absolute pure cheatery, no doubt about it ' and the reporter thereafter refers to Hernandez as 'Cheatcharito' until he was subbed.
  • edited February 2019
    Three angles showed it as looking like a clean header (including the ref's view), but the fourth showed it has a clear handball. It was instinctive, but still cheating.

For example, cynical cheating by fouling a player on a breakaway is mostly seen as 'clever', or at worst 'taking one for the team'.
    Interesting point this Grey. 99% of the time these kind of fouls are considered 'clever', but Lanzini's booking against Fulham was for a "snide" tackle, according to the BBC, which could tie into Lukerz's point above.
  • Thank you all for the info.

;angry
  • On NBC, the two Robbies, Earle and Mustoe, both said that technically it was cheating and they would have been enraged had they been on the wrong side of it, but equally they both said they would have been all right with it had it been for their team.

So there you have it.

The dead giveawy for me was not the reactions of the Fulham players, coz frankly there was none, but Peas face when he turned around, in one of the replays, he looked totally guilty, like guilty from planet guilty.
  • Pea's reaction was telling. He picked the ball up, turned to look at the linesman without appealing, and when nothing happened started celebrating the 'goal'. He wasn't trying to con anyone, but neither was he going to refuse a goal. The media bias sickens me, and it will continue VAR or no VAR ;angry
    Re Mark Noble, I've been counting assists from when the goal move began. Markie is way above anyone else in these assists. Significantly, when he is cut out of the loop, the Hammers don't flow as well. I don't see anyone else (Wilshere included) managing his defensive workrate and his passing ability. By all means buy a top midfielder (Pogba comes to mind) and train a youngster, but until then he's the best at what he does. Except tackling. ;wink
  • Kuching

I think Noble is great at tacking, it's just that the opposition players are rubbish at being where they should be...
  • Can I agree with that too (rather than just 'made me laugh') ;wink
  • I think this is where Noble learned the art:
    http://www.schoolofsailing.net/tacking-and-jibing.html
    ;biggrin
  • This from KUMB:
    The opposition view: Fulham

"I generally feel depressed. But I'm making logroll edging at the moment for the garden. This involves hitting bits of wood and nails with a hammer and a mallet which may make me feel better..."

;lol ;clap
  • https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2019/february/27-february/antonio-earns-fifa-19-team-week-place

Antonio's newest card sees the No30's base rating of 78 increased to an impressive 82, with the wide-man enjoying a boost in pace and shooting in his statistics.

Oh, the bants in the changing room. ;nolan ;clown ;wahoo
  • edited February 2019
    Are you going to put him straight into your team, MrsGrey?

In time for your FUT Champs Weekend League games, yeah? ;lol
  • I don't even know what that is ;puzzled ;weep

;yercoat
  • Antonio takes FIFA game very seriously

This discussion has been closed.