Declan Rice - Signs 5 1/2 year deal (or does he...)

Comments

• edited February 2019
    Would any proud Irishman even contemplate playing for England? I wouldn't know because I'm not an Irishman but not sure if I would play for Ireland if it was the other way around ;hmm
  • It’s the rules that’s at fault not the players who choose to work with them imo
  • I think 20 years ago plenty would've chosen Ireland over England. Feelings have probably dulled now.
  • Hamstew

A question being asked after Deccers included being 'a proud Englishman' in his statement.

Cuz

That's the point of view I've seen expressed by most Irish former internationals that have had a say on it.
  • edited February 2019
    Yep that's what got me thinking about it grey ;ok I think Kilbane may have said how can he be a proud Englishman if he has already worn the green of Ireland. Unless I imagined it. But if so it works the other way to.
  • My impression is that his father considers himself Irish, and presumably hoped his son would feel the same way.

I've said before, I think he was fulfilling his father's dream playing for Ireland, rather than his own.

It seems clear that, primarily, Deccers considers himself English.
  • This is interesting:

and this comment:

Conor Furlong
    Breen is correct. Rice said he was a “proud Englishman”. He did not say he was a proud Irishman. He said he was proud of his Irish heritage. That’s a very different thing.

It’s like Americans who say they’re proud of their Irish heritage ...but they’re not Irish.
  • I used to go out and celebrate St Patricks Day but stopped when I was called a plastic paddy by Irish people because I claimed to be Irish. I tried to explain to them that I'm not claiming to be Irish, I am Irish descent because both of my grandparents are Irish and that if Irish people were green, than I would be too. It didn't seem to wash with them so I decided not to celebrate it anymore.
  • It's not really any of their business.

imo
  • You're right, it's not but I couldn't be bothered with the discussion.
  • My mother was Italian but I can’t speak the lingo except ti amo lol
  • I used to go out and celebrate St Patricks Day but stopped when I was called a plastic paddy by Irish people because I claimed to be Irish. I tried to explain to them that I'm not claiming to be Irish, I am Irish descent because both of my grandparents are Irish and that if Irish people were green, than I would be too. It didn't seem to wash with them so I decided not to celebrate it anymore.

I thought “ st “Patrick was the son of roman living neer Walsh border,, kidnaped and taken to Ireland ,,, ?
  • To play football? ;wink
  • edited February 2019
    All said and done, he will get booed when we play Ireland regardless, on virtue of being English. xD
  • https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2019/february/28-february/rice-wins-young-player-year-accolade-london-football-awards

Congratulations to Declan, winning Young Player of the Year at the London Football Awards. ;clap ;champagne

But ... Rice is the first West Ham player to win at the London Football Awards since Dimitri Payet was named the Premier League Player of the Year in 2016

... let's hope we don't see a repeat of what happened next ;sofa
  • It was lucky Longstaff doesnt play for a London team or Rice wouldve surely come second ;whistle ;wink
  • Pep on Friday told reporters: "You know we are going to try for a holding midfielder and other positions we are thinking about."

The tapping-up begins. ;nonono
  • It won't be Rice.
  • If fred and Jorginho both cost about £55/60mil....Id say no less than £200mil ;wahoo
  • Champo

And how much for his other leg?
  • edited March 2019
    Perhaps when Rice goes to Man City, Grey can provide counselling drawing on what its been like recently to lose Rice ;whome

Ok I've got to stop this Rice teasing (I just dont know how to yet ;angel Sometimes I forgot, being so far away in USA that bants should be directed at other teams supporters ;hmm )
  • Best player on the pitch
  • Does anyone know who he was shooshing? Usually that particular tired gesture is done when a player has been getting criticism they feel is unfounded, Young Declan has been getting nothing but lavish praise from all corners of the world however! maybe that was it, maybe it was all too much and he was asking them to stop.

It also looked like he had been taking dancing lessons from Antonio, it's rubbish when Antonio does it Declan so I cant see you coming away with anything.

I am not a Rugby fan but I do wish footballers would take a leaf from their book with regard two things, when you get a knock we know it isn't child birth you are going through, and if it was you wouldn't be getting up and sprinting in 20 seconds time, just get on with it. Also not every goal needs celebrating as though it were a FA cup final winner, you scored and that's what you are meant to do, in Rugby its a well deserved pat on the back and a well done. There is no mass bundle, not shirts with messages and no robot dances, just not necessary.
  • I wondered at the time if that was where the pundits box was where he was looking towards? I know it is in a corner & I think it is that one. May have been a bit of a message regarding all the talk about his international future? Or maybe he picked up on the comment by Keown who said he felt Longstaff was a better player.
  • He was shooshing the Newcastle fans apparently. I'd heard on twitter that they were singing some pretty vile stuff about him. I'm not sure he would have done it because of the Longstaff debate. Not directly anyway.
  • It was aimed at the Newcastle fans. Their Rice wannabe was subbed at half time.
  • FIFA have given their clearance for Declan to play for England.
  • Apparently he’s won Irish Young Player of the Year as the voting happened a little while ago...