Declan Rice - Signs 5 1/2 year deal (or does he...)

Comments

• This is how MM got Deccers to commit to Ireland

• I hope Declan doesn't go Irish. That would show a considerable lack of ambition on his part.
    I speak as a 2nd gen Irish immigrant.
  • It’s not about ambition though is it? Giggs could have played for England but he felt Welsh. That’s not about ambition that’s about his own identity. Rice should (and will) play for whichever country he feels most connected to.
  • MNL

As alderz says, choosing a country to improve your chances of success, or the quality of players around you, would be a poor reason.

Rice is in a complex situation, as he has ties to both countries.
  • edited December 2018
    Indeed, its not just about choosing which country will be more successful.

Zaha chose Ivory Coast after he'd played twice for England in non-competitive games and failed to qualify for the 2018 World Cup.

Okay, stop giggling...
  • Not good enough for England
  • You're joking right? Southgate currently picks Eric Dier
  • Cuz1 said:

Not good enough for England

I agree Mick Mccarthy will never play for England ;lol
  • Sorry should have made it clear I meant zaha lol hence why he chose Ivory Coast, rice deffo good enough
  • Cuz1 said:

Sorry should have made it clear I meant zaha lol hence why he chose Ivory Coast, rice deffo good enough

;phew
  • Zaha's more than good enough. He was put under stupid scrutiny after making a massive jump at the same time Man U were transitioning from success to struggle. With Ivory Coast he has a good chance of doing well without the same hassle.

I'd be pretty surprised if he thought Ivory Coast had any more chance of qualifying for the World Cup than England.
  • That’s why football is about opinions and in mine he isn’t good enough to play for England
  • Zaha is, IMO, one of the best players in the league, and the way he plays these days I think he would get into most teams in Europe
  • alderz,

Or in China, if you believe the newspapers this morning. ;whistle
  • Although he is a decent player he isn't team orientated, which is why he wouldn't get in the present England set up imo.
  • I'm old enough to remember Bobby in his prime and although some may think I'm being sacrilegious this kid (Declan) is starting to show that same kind of football brain that the great man had.
    Obviously there will only ever be one Bobby but Rice reminds me of him so much,the timing,the awareness and,in time,the presence on the pitch.I know it's early days with him but I truly believe given a fair amount of good luck that he has a great future in the game,I just hope it's with us.
  • Slacker, welcome, we must be of the same era. I'm sure I went to school in Forest Gate with a Slack.
    I don't think your comparison of Rice with Moore is sacrilegious at all. I'm sure I posted something similar a little while ago. All the attributes you mention, Rice has them, maybe not to the same level, but he's still only 19.
    However, he does have one thing that Moore didn't have - pace. ;ok ;scarf
  • My Facebook feed just lit up with Rice having signed until 2024. ;clap ;wahoo
  • edited December 2018
    Declan Rice signs new deal to keep him at West Ham until 2024 https://telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/12/28/declan-rice-signs-new-deal-keep-west-ham-2024/
    “Without a doubt, the plan was always to stay at West Ham. I’ve had the support from the fans, from the players and from the manager and now, to get it over the line, get it done and commit myself to this club is a very special moment and I’m over the moon."
    ;dog
  • It's on sky sports. Signed until 2024 Great News!
  • edited December 2018
    OS

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2018/december/28-december/west-ham-united-sign-declan-rice-new-long-term-contract

;wahoo ;wahoo ;wahoo

Now he can knuckle down to playing for the Republic... ;pray
  • Plus an option for a further year.
  • A big cheer just went up in our house ;wahoo

(tbh, I was always pretty sure it would turn out OK, from the things I saw Pelle say, and Declan himself. The delay was, I think, just the process, and not because of any fundamental difference of views about where they were trying to get to. )
  • He'll be our next club captain, I think. coyi
  • Brilliant news, absolutely brilliant. The boy has a huge future. ;wahoo ;wahoo
  • How sick must Chelski be ;lol ;lol
  • Did I mention how brilliant this news is. ;wahoo ;wahoo
  • The Best bit of business we have done in years IMO... ;wahoo
  • 100% deserved he is going to turn into an absolute gem
  • Interesting how much he credits Noble with the way he helps bring players into feeling part of the Team. It will be interesting to see what happens to Nobes when he finally hangs up his boots ... in a few years time.