Everton (A) - 16 Sept 18 4pm ko - Match Thread

Comments

• to be fair, it wasn't an 'opinion'.
    The Sky commentator said he'd 'been told'. So it was incorrect information he was given. Nothing wrong with passing that on imo, particularly as the post-match interview tried to clarify whether or not it was accurate info.
  • At last Pelle knows what we all suspected - Rice is our best option as holding midfield and, sorry to go a bit biblical, upon this rock he can build his side. Obiang and Noble played so much better with Rice behind them. Dare I say Rice has a touch of the Bobby Moore composure about him. Early days but he could be a really good player.
  • Just need to get him a new contract then ;whistle
  • Well that made the drive home on the cone infested M6 so much more enjoyable.

It wasn't so far away from the Arsenal performance with the exception of us burying the ball in the opponents net when the opportunities arrived.
    I think we saw Pelles influence start to show through with the performances of Rice and Obiang. We know what they can do but they both showed deft passing ability which was previously missing. On this Rice performance Diers England spot would be under threat.
    It was strange to watch at times as you found yourself thinking 'just clear it upfield' but then we played it out and you think 'yeah, that's the way.'
    I'm not sure why Arthur is taking so much stick. He's not the best at defending, no worse than Cresswell, but gives us an out ball and sometimes a spark of genius.
    Leon Osman described Yarmolenko as a tricky winger built like a centre forward and he showed that in spades yesterday.
    Too many good performances to decide upon a MOTM for me. All we need to do now is show the same intent and level of performance.

COYI
  • Nice bit about us from Leon Osman on the bbc ,just about sums us up I think
  • But Leon Osman also notes the one thing about Yarmelenko to. His whole career is cutting inside on his left and curling it in. Once teams clock onto this a large portion of his game will be cut out.
  • But it's not that straightforward. How has he managed to make that career by cutting inside when everyone knows that you musn't let that happen? He's a handful.
  • Yes but its how you nullify his best attribute. If you can stop Andy Carroll heading the ball or stop the crosses coming in. You would bet he would score a lot less than if the ball did land on his head.

In the same way you wouldn't want someone like Salah with the ball at his feet, making players play a lofty ball to him is going to better your chances of him doing something magical than letting him have the ball at his feet.
  • I agree Yeold but no one has managed to do that consistently hence his career.
  • I think there's a little more to his game than that if this is anything to go by ;wink
  • Arnie and Yarmie look like they could cause mayhem in some defences this season as both very strong but also very able with the ball at their feet.

The biggest difference for me was Rice in front of the defence, and in my view if there was one change that would have made for a different game and result it would have been that, he made us very solid. Echo the contract calls made by others.

The only player I feel unsure about is Balbeuna but he deserves more time, however if Reid can get back to somewhere near his old form I feel Diop and Reid could be very good indeed.
  • Herb

I know what you mean about thinking 'get rid', and then correcting that thought.

At times it will probably cost us, but I agree we need to persist.

What I liked yesterday was that at times a player would recognise we were under too much pressure, and give it some right welly to give us a chance to reorganise.

We're a long way from their standards, but it is clear Pelle wants us to not be afraid of the ball in the same way Guardiola or Klopp have their teams.
  • Grey,

agree that Row Z must always be an option.
  • When I played it was always my option lol
  • I said an option, not the option. ;lol
  • When we signed Fabulousanski I thought he and Adrian were about even, but now I think he is quite a bit better.
  • Those commentators really did stir it up about Perez didn’t they? ;angry
  • Cuz1 said:

When I played it was always my option lol

I was a very cultured player. I used to curl the ball into row Z with the outside of my boot.

I think my current favourite player is Diop. Looks a cracking player to me.

And I love the look of our front three. If fed the ball early, Anderson, Arnie and Yarmolenko will certainly cause problems.

Hope I feel this positive next monday. ;scarf
  • They didn’t use the outside of your foot in my early days
  • Grey

Fab has been nothing short of fantastic

Like you I had my doubts whether he was that much of an upgrade about has been brilliant even on days where our defence haven't helped
  • I'd have Fabianski in goal over Pickford any day of the week.
  • IronHerb said:
    At what point can a player start to sue the media for Defamation of image ?
  • I suppose at any point they thought they could prove the media did it knowing it was false.
  • edited September 2018
    We are going to need to improve at the back. I thought we showed class in most areas but how many times did Everton whip in or pull-back a cross, unchallenged, to players who weren't being marked; either at all or very loosely? Tosun (three times), Sigurdsson, Niasse. That should've been 3/4 goals right there.

We deserved the win & played very well in the middle & attacking thirds of the pitch but we are going to need to sort that back four out.
  • The footage shows one of the coaches talking to Perez and he is simply shaking his head, that could literally be in response to anything, only our media took it to mean he refused to go on.

Some things you see just cannot be made up, but unfortunately, IMO, this appears to be a situation where it was felt to be totally reasonable to do just that.

In reality, IF a player truly refused to warm up when asked to do so by the management team, I think that the body lanaguage and remonstrations would have pretty clear for all to see.

Maybe the liberal interpretation of the footage does not support a formal libel case, but I think he is certainly owed an apology.
  • This is oversimplifying things, but Noble playing and Wilshere not playing made all the difference to me. The MF worked in tandem, with Rice mopping up close behind. Both Obiang & Noble were able to get forward more, and both did. Obiang was my MOM, but he can't be mentioned without Noble and Rice getting credit too. Wilshere and Anderson both dribbling into dead ends (I didn't rate Anderson as highly as many) is one too many, and means we suffered too many turn-overs. These three hardly ever gave the ball away.
    Defensively, it's good to see Diop turning into a bit of a panther. He's reading the game better and making lightning tackles. I'm looking forward to him facing Lukaku!
    And we beat Everton! Only in the Year of the Snake did this happen in living memory.... ;scarf
  • edited September 2018
    Looking at the celebrations for big arnies goal he seems to run freely over to the fans. Someone jumps on his back, he fixes his socks and then seems to limp away slightly. Hopefully just a minor tweek.
  • pesky socks
  • edited September 2018
    Just seen we didn’t have one offside in the game, even Antonio stayed onside.

I thought we got the press right for the most part when Everton had the ball (77 recoveries) but this offside trap we try and play is causing us problems because by doing it the players leave their markers to get to the 18 yard line (leaving them all offside), but if the cross or pass doesn’t come at that moment & it is worked wide quickly, the people they have left now all become free & need to be picked up in time before the second phase cross comes in. Just seems to be a difficult one to get right.
This discussion has been closed.